Whatcha Carrying?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pighuntingpuppy

Reaction score
All my motorcycle riding years, I used to carry a backpack with me. In it, I carried my laptop, rain gear, cold weather gear and some other small items. On the side of my backpack is a fantastic pocket for my 1911 45 caliber pistol. Was an easy(for me) draw and always there. The other pocket contained the extra magazines. Years of riding with this....I eventually toasted a lap top. Bumps, jars and so on, causing things to bump and bang into each other caused that laptop to restart every time pressure was applied to the keyboard. So I decided to eliminate the backpack all together. With my new riding jacket, it has gun pockets on the inside. The 1911 fits in there wonderfully. However....Its a mini cannon. 2 and a half pounds on one side makes it not ideal to carry with. I do have other smaller guns. I have PT22 and PT25 pistols. But I think of these as more novelty than self defense. Dont get me wrong....wouldnt want to be shot with either. But nothing I would stake my life on. I have a PT140, 40 cal pistol. Reliable gun, great stopping power. Much lighter due to the polymer frame. But still heavy in that coat pocket.

So I started researching lightweight carry guns. Alot of em were pointing me to the PT140 size of gun. Which at 1.5lbs is still pretty good, heavy in that pocket. Pocket pistols are what I started looking at. Came down to a couple. Smith and Wesson, Walther and Ruger. All three of the pocket guns come in around 14 ounces loaded. Thats under 1 lb. While I have no problem with Walther....I dont want to say, shaken, not stirred every time I pulled it. Good gun, but cliched now. Smith and Wesson evidently dont deliver to New Mexico. The ones I did find were about 100% more than MSRP. Ruger though is readily available. So after checking them out, firing a couple different pocket guns, I settled on the Ruger LCP 380. The smallest and lightest of the bunch. This gun has been out for a while now and has turned out to be fairly reliable when needed. Main complaints about the gun are trigger pull. Its the heaviest thing on the gun. Plus you need to pull it back the distance of a freeway offramp to get it to fire. The sights are another complaint. Infected mosquito bites on the slide of this thing. Anything further than 5-7 yards....you wont be able to sight this in easily.

I addressed the main concerns. Short stroke trigger, lighter trigger, hammer and firing pin springs, and stiffer mag spring. Added a holster clip and a red dot laser sight. I did order an extended round magazine for a 7+1 instead of 6+1. Cause of its size, I still need to learn to sight it in better. I do hit center of mass, but I am low and to the left. I think thats cause of the small sights on the the slide. I havent shot it with the laser sight yet. The trigger is crisper than original. Stopping power is less than what alot will say. And I agree. As someone who carried a 45 for years, I know that a 380 isnt gonna pack the same punch. But hopefully it will deter someone from continuing on with their ill intents.

My new motorcycle carry pocket rocket. 1661204533655.temp.jpg

Last edited:
What do I carry? Phone, keys, wallet and wine gums in case I get peckish, and the way police are acting now days they will probably try and arrest me for drink driving after I have ate a few. This country is so boring.

I carry a little Ruger EC9 S with an extra magazine in a versa carry holster. I was carrying a Ruger LCP 380 but liked the 9 a little better. I have Been known to carry both at the same time.

Attachments

• 20220825_175900.jpg
    20220825_175900.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220825_175920.jpg
    20220825_175920.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Up here in the righteous woke north we are not allowed to carry unless you are a very special person carry permits are as rare as dragons here. We have no castle laws. In reality if someone was in the house you would need to unlock the safe choose your desired firearm unlock that and then unlock you preferred ammo storage and by that time gentle readers you can be sure that you will be hooked by a premeditated act. Basically you are FUBARD. All that said I have a P226 that at this time I’m still allowed to go to a range and shoot without permission my license says so.
If you a a restricted holder up here your name is passed through a data base every 24 hrs. I would love to be able to carry but can’t see that ever taking place here
I’m still proud to be CANADIAN though!
Cheers Peter🤘🇨🇦

According to where I am going usually decides on which I carry. I also have a Ruger LCP that is fairly accurate for the hot rounds I have for it. Glock subcompact 40 cal or if I think I really need the punch it's my Kimber DCR 357, but it's only 6 rounds. Make em count.

Last edited:
Makes me happy to see folks carrying. In my state, road rage drivers are out of control here. When I say lax law enforcement, I really mean we have lax law enforcement. Couple years ago, a 4 year old was shot and killed in a road rage incident. Now while I dont engage road ragers, hell I dont engage people who simply make mistakes while driving either, you just never know what will send people off the deep end. I have had people follow me. I have backup plans to both types of vehicles. In my truck....if you want to follow me, I am taking you to the desert, plugging your radiator with lead and taking off on you. On the bike, cause street tires are no good on dirt....I know 2 police substations with deep access to getting in where a would be rager would not likely follow.

In the end....I will avoid ragers at all costs. Either I will be way ahead of you or way behind you depending on what I am driving. But should someone want to play dumb with me, hopefully the presence is enough to deter. And if not....I will share the story.

EDIT: I have actually drawn on 3 people since living in New Mexico. One guy hit my truck and kept going. I followed to give details to cops but was not close to warrant intimidation to the other driver. I simply was relaying info about the car, damage to car and license plate. Guy stopped in the middle of an onramp and rushed my truck. Second time, I caught someone stealing out of my truck and the third was a bum who couldnt take no for an answer. The bum....would have been shot and killed if my buddy didnt shuffle him off cause he refused to back down.

Carry on despite what tyrannical government types tell you. Dont be an easy target.

Colt defender .45, compact with grip laser

Attachments

• 20221002_162216.jpg
    20221002_162216.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221002_162231.jpg
    20221002_162231.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Back