What's a Better Manual, Clymer or Haynes

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Thomas.

I know that I am not very normal and in my “literary tastes” are the motorcycle mechanics manuals. I don't think my opinion will help you decide, but since I like manuals so much...

To be brief, I will say that I love to work with the cleanliness and simplicity of BMW workshop manuals, I am very well with these.

With the V max I tried Cyclepedia for a year but I don't always have internet; it's worth paying for the full subscription if you always have access. I bought the Clymer because I didn't have any and I had already used some Haynes for other motorcycles and cars.

Direct differences (my impressions):
Clymer have a smaller format and better paper quality (Haynes looks like a yellowish newspaper), larger letters (if you have a lack of sight) and both well illustrated. The clymer gives the impression of being made as for people who "need more explanations" (that's my impression...) and you feel maybe is more complicated, but more clear with the format and quality.

Both fulfil their function perfectly. Ciclepedia via tablet, computer or phone is really a step-by-step photographic guide, perfect for doing specific work, very practical. Clymer is property of Haynes, maybe somebody of them can explain the real difference in the concept, because prices are near or the same (I never compared information inside both vmax manuals)

I personally use the Yamaha workshop manual, I think that with this one you can do everything. I combine the original edition in English with one in Italian from 2005 and I managed to do everything. For the mysteries I consult the forum and pay attention to the gurus we all know.

Greetings to all of them, beautiful vmax community!

I have the Yamaha Gen1 Manual. I always thought the OEM manual had more detail than Clymer or Haynes.

For the Gen2 I got the PDF and then went to Office Depot and had it printed on heavy stock three hole punched. It lies flat and does not try to close. Someone here also posted the full size electrical drawing which I got plotted as an E-Size sheet. Here is a pic of it taped to the cabinets in the garage. That is a god send when working.

Attachments

• VMAX Electrical.JPG
    VMAX Electrical.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • VMAX Manual.JPG
    VMAX Manual.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
This should be close to the '06, though it's labelled as to 2003.

VMax USA 1990-03 wiring.01.pngVMax USA 1990-03 wiring lower.03.png
For my 'old eyes,' the color chart is much easier than the b&w chart to read. You can save this on a thumb drive and go to a office supply store and do it in 11" X 17" which would make it even easier.

Another vote on the Clymer after using both.
I'm currently setting up an old, rough 2001 gen1 and the Clymer is much more helpful to a novice then the Haynes.

Latest posts

Back