What's the best long ride seat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reich

Reaction score
I'm looking for a comfortable seat. I'm currently using a stock 98 seat. Looking for something that doesn't want to make me get off the bike after a hour of riding. Sean Is right down the road from me. I've been thinking of having him rebuild my stock seat. Maybe, a corbin?

Bigger guys seem to like the Corbin.
Personally the Corbin is too wide for me, I am 6'1" and weigh about 180-185 lbs.
And Sean can definitely reshape your stock seat to better fit your body.

I reshaped my seat and added some foam o the A$$ area myself back in 2001 or 2002 and I'm still happy with it.
It cost me about $20 and a few hours of my time.
I can now ride for hours without any issues unlike the stock shaped seat which cause my A$$ and legs to go numb after an hour or so.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2000-Vmax-Stock-vs-Modified-Seat-768.jpg
    2000-Vmax-Stock-vs-Modified-Seat-768.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 245

+1

I got mine with the Corbin so I never tried the OEM seat. At 6'2 210 I'm on the narrow side of the spectrum and I feel like the Corbin is about as comfortable as a burlap sack full of firewood. About two hours was all I could handle. Initially I thought it was going to be decent but a longish ride cleared that right up for me. The Corbin is also very wide so if you dont have some inseam it might be awkward

I have a Maxgasser now and it's hard to overstate how pleased I am with it. Wife and I had a long ride through the hills yesterday and she reported being infinitely more comfortable as well.

IF you want to pick up a Corbin fairly cheap I sure wont be using mine again.

I like my stock 98 seat and im 6'3" and 230 lbs. Fits my butt perfect for all day riding... but i also have rearsets so that probably helps, lol.

my bike came with a cut down seat from Sean didn't like it, bought a used Corbin and couldn't be more happy, the are plentiful and cheap on here so I would say try a Corbin if you don't like it someone will buy it from you and you can try something else, I secretly covet a Maxgasser but they are pricey, oh and I have a 36" inseam so that probably helps the comfort level for me, I thought the original seat was just too short for my legs

I will note that the Maxgasser does set you down a little and the Vmax which is really nice, but its not a particularly roomy bike to begin with. I like the lower seating position quite a bit better, at highway speeds I feel less like a kite and I feel more IN the bike than ON it. It's not a huge difference, but enough to feel and appreciate. When you order your Maxgasser you will tell Rick your wt,ht and body type and this is taken into consideration when pouring the foam so it's not a one-size-fits-all like the more generic Corbin.

A pair of these are a great cost effective addition for longer rides. I will note that I needed these with the Corbin to. I need to be able to stretch out to be comfy and this combination is the winning ticket for all day comfort for me.
ycle.com/HPM1-Highway-Peg-Mounts-for-Yamaha-V-max-85-07-HPM1.htm

It's funny how when you ride across town or 45 min down the highway the thought of plunking down some coin on a fancy seat seems absurd, but when your halfway through MT or WY it doesn't feel so silly anymore. It's the best money you can spend on your steed.

When it comes to a seat as we all can see its personnel preference. You can get a general idea what's good or not but what one butane back like another might not. I've never rode with a maxgasser which seems to be the top pick but also is on the higher priced side, just about $500 I think. Morley muscle seat (which I have) in my opinion is night and day better than stock was $380 all said and done including sending my stock seat back to him. I'm 6'3", 230lbs, 34" inseam. I got the tall cut, plain black, with the passenger seat reshaped. I've yet to put a long ride in on it but have done a 45-50 mile ride on it (round trip) and loved it. Seats aren't cheap and the only way you can "test them" is ridding someone else's bike with one. Hope you find the one you like.

Been riding on a Corbin since around 1990. I used to see Mike Corbin at Americade and psetered him to come up with a seat for the Max. He saw me in the people visiting his booth, and adked me if I still wanted a VMax seat. We installed it on the spot, and I've been on it ever since. Had it reupholstered a few years ago. No comlaints at all with a Corbin.

I sent Rick an email a few months back from his web page and haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if he's still making these or if anyone had one lying around in their garage? I've got a corbin seat for mine and am just not "feeling" it. Being 5'7" 200lbs I'm getting cramps in my calves when stopped.

Doubt that there are any lying around the garage , unless it's my garage and even there their sparse.yes they where pricey but theyre the best . I am not currently producing them , if anyone is interested in the molds ,patterns and blue prints for the hardware PM me , but there's a big price tag.

I sent Rick an email a few months back from his web page and haven't heard anything back. Does anyone know if he's still making these or if anyone had one lying around in their garage? I've got a corbin seat for mine and am just not "feeling" it. Being 5'7" 200lbs I'm getting cramps in my calves when stopped.

Cramps in your calves may also be result of not being able to stretch your legs from time to time.
Do you have a forward foot rest arrangement, Mr. Nut?

Negative in the forward foot rests right now but have been considering. I also wanted something with a little more support in the lower back area as well as better access to the gas cap. And honestly I don't really like the overall look of the Corbin seat that's on now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that Sean Morley takes a set of rear footpegs and has them welded to the engine guards, and then has the entire thing powdercoated. Looks very professional.

Attachments

• 20160723_131853[1].jpg
    20160723_131853[1].jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 32
Back