What's the best rain tire for stick rims on a Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax bandit

Reaction score
I am not a "fair weather rider. Rain or shine I'm going to ride. Usually if I know I am going to be rained on I will take my Bandit that has PR3's on it, but it is currently going threw some upgrades that are taken a little longer than anticipated. Currently my max has an Avon road rider on the front and a Avon Venom x on the back. While they are ok for dry pavement, they suck for wet. Any recommendations for a good rain tire on stock rims? I know I could upgrade the rims and have a lot of better options but I'm going to stick with stock rims.

The other two tires most guys are running are shinko tourmasters or me880 Metzeler. I have shinkos, but can't comment on rain abilities. I ran the metz on my vtx and felt like they were good in the rain but nothing like the pilot roads on my fz1.

Ive run the Shinko 230's in the rain.....a very good sticky tire, rain or shine.

It rains everyday here on Guam and our roads are paved with asphalt with ground coral in the mix which makes the roads slick even in the lightest rain. I switched from the Avon Venom to the Shinko tour masters and for wet weather they are great. I have confidence in the tires grip even in the tropical downpours we get daily on the island. The price was an added bonus.

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant
554 RED HORSE Sq, Guam

I had Metz 880 and it was slippery in cold and wet conditions, I was told that its because its steel braiced or something like that, and it needs to be warm/hot so it sticks. Now I have Michelin Commander II, this was advertised as more modern type of tyre, I haven't been in rain with it yet but so far it feels great. And it was cheaper than Metz too.

I had Metz 880 and it was slippery in cold and wet conditions, I was told that its because its steel braiced or something like that, and it needs to be warm/hot so it sticks. Now I have Michelin Commander II, this was advertised as more modern type of tyre, I haven't been in rain with it yet but so far it feels great. And it was cheaper than Metz too.

+1 on Metz. They suck in the rain.

I rode the Tourmaster in the rain we got caught in at the Eureka Springs rally and it was wonderful.

dus aneyone run dunlop qulifiers ?
that seams to be about all i can get hear

Not the stickiest of Dunlop's. Some people speak badly of them because of that. Save for a new rear wheel & go radials. A huge difference in every good way, & much more secure as speeds climb.

Latest posts

Back