What's your all-time favorite vintage or classic bike?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WESLICH

Reaction score
We all have a bike that we love, admire, respect, wished we had, or are just plain crazy about. Well, at least most of us old farts do anyway.

I'll start by posting this pic of my all-time fave, the Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R. It ruled the street in the late 70's to early 80's. Had a couple of buddies that had 'em and always wished I could get one of my own, but could never afford it. Could only try to keep up on my 400-four Honda. This pic is of the rare Turbo version. Stupid fast, the frame, suspension, aerodynamics and tires of the day couldn't come close to handling the power this baby put out.

Attachments

• 1110296002.jpg
    1110296002.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 33
The vintage 650 Triumphs with the package rack on the gas tank. The last year it appeared on the Bonneville was 1965 and on the TR6 was 1968. The attached pic is of a 1968 TR6R. (Which I happen to have in hundreds of pieces awaiting reassembly from a frame-up restoration). All the paint work, etc is done, just haven't got around to putting it back together.

Attachments

• 1968 TR-6 - Calendar.jpg
    1968 TR-6 - Calendar.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 23
The vintage 650 Triumphs with the package rack on the gas tank. The last year it appeared on the Bonneville was 1965 and on the TR6 was 1968. The attached pic is of a 1968 TR6R. (Which I happen to have in hundreds of pieces awaiting reassembly from a frame-up restoration). All the paint work, etc is done, just haven't got around to putting it back together.

I remember the Bonnevilles, Cman. Very cool bikes. Good luck on your rebuild. Good friend had an early 70's Triumph Trident 750 triple.

Attachments

• tri72-2.gif
    tri72-2.gif
    122.3 KB · Views: 14
Shover beat me to it, Vincent HRD hands down. Nothing else comes close on my list.

Favorite one I ever owned was the H2, shoulda never turned it loose.

My choice also but they have to be Pr-Unit. Before 1962 for the 650 and before 1959 for the 500. Had most of them from a 38 Speed Twin to a 61 Bonnie. The 61 being my favourite.
Just sold a 74 T150v Trident and a 1980 CBX.

1950, Vincent Black Shadow

the owner of the company i work for has one of these, he has over $50k invested in the restoration, it is awesum, the speedo goes to 160mph, and he said it would probably do it, he also has a ariel in the same condition, it is what our company is named after ariel corp.

Attachments

• 1952 vincent black shadow.jpg
    1952 vincent black shadow.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 10
  • vincent custom 2007.jpg
    vincent custom 2007.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 15
  • vincent racing 2008.jpg
    vincent racing 2008.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 11
Although certainly not an all time classic like the Vincent Shadow, I've always wanted a Norton Commando 850. Now I see that there's a new Norton Commando being built, the 961 SS. Looks like the hardware is brought right up to date, which changes the looks quite a bit. Still love to get a '74, though.
I used to drool over a friend's brand new '74 Triumph Trident. That was a sweet bike for a time that was dominated by Japanese 750 fours.

Attachments

• 74NORTONCOMANDO850.jpg
    74NORTONCOMANDO850.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 17
  • nortoncommando961_05.jpg
    nortoncommando961_05.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 19
I've always admired the old Indians when it comes to vintage bikes..

But my *dream* bike, fave of all time, I guess a classic now since they don't make it anymore, is the Ducati-engined Cagiva E900 Elefant. If I could find one in decent shape I would still buy and import it!

Attachments

• Indian-51024X778.jpg.jpg
    Indian-51024X778.jpg.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 13
  • e.jpg.jpg
    e.jpg.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 20
While not my favorite bike, this was my first, a 1976 Honda 400 four Super Sport. Small, quick and lots of fun. I eventually put a Kerker on it. The sound was sweet and LOUD.

Attachments

• AlbertoCB400_2.jpg
    AlbertoCB400_2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 11
1971 Ducati 450 RT motorcross special.

My dad had one when I was a kid.

Dad and I both wish he hadn't sold it.

Its a rare SOB now.

Attachments

• Ducati 450 rt.jpg
    Ducati 450 rt.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 11
Mine sounds silly against Black Shadows and such, but it was affordable enough to get one and came at a time in my life where getting stuff simpler was mandatory. It was a 1978 Yamaha SR500 single road bike. Rebuilt it from end to end, even tho most of it was just fine. It shook a bit but had its sweetspots, super light, went 100 easily , got 70 mpg if I wanted to. It only weighed about 375 and had enough suspension stuff and hi dollars tires that it handled like a dream. Rebuilding it helped me rebuild my life and as always should have never sold it. Still looking for one to replace it too. Anyone know of a good one for sale?

I would love to have a Norton Commando. 750 with gold on black. Second choice would be a Brougham Superior. It is pre war English built like an old Rolls Royce.
Dave #3505

Mine sounds silly against Black Shadows and such, but it was affordable enough to get one and came at a time in my life where getting stuff simpler was mandatory. It was a 1978 Yamaha SR500 single road bike. Rebuilt it from end to end, even tho most of it was just fine. It shook a bit but had its sweetspots, super light, went 100 easily , got 70 mpg if I wanted to. It only weighed about 375 and had enough suspension stuff and hi dollars tires that it handled like a dream. Rebuilding it helped me rebuild my life and as always should have never sold it. Still looking for one to replace it too. Anyone know of a good one for sale?

Not silly at all. These are great little machines and have a real cult following. Getting harder and harder to find now.

Good ones tend to get the 'cafe' racer treatment from firms like DEUS http://www.deus.com.au/#/bikes/

Back