Wheel and frame straightening

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, I have to say 'What on earth man! What on friggin' earth happened to that wheel,,,,,,, and are you ok???'

Second thing is; 'Damn,,,,,,,,, incredible work! Amazing!'

Third thing is; 'Did the guy that did that amazing work on the wheel paint the balancing weights that were already on there??? I see the old tape from possibly some old wheel balancing weights also. Tell me he didn't just paint over all of that stuff.'

Vinnie

First of all, I have to say 'What on earth man! What on friggin' earth happened to that wheel,,,,,,, and are you ok???'

Second thing is; 'Damn,,,,,,,,, incredible work! Amazing!'

Third thing is; 'Did the guy that did that amazing work on the wheel paint the balancing weights that were already on there??? I see the old tape from possibly some old wheel balancing weights also. Tell me he didn't just paint over all of that stuff.'

Vinnie
Was not off my bike it was off a friends and unfortunately he is not ok. The guy does not do any finish work just straitening. He just threw a little spray paint on it so it would not be bare until 8 can do something with it.

Amazing work!
I still might worry about the integrity on the aluminum. Is it safe after that much bending?

I tend to agree on both counts.

I've no experience of repaired alloy wheels and I guess how much of its integrity remains depends on how the repair was done?
I'd be less concerned on a car as a failure would still leave you with three wheels which is not the case on a bike.

I can appreciate the skill in what's been done but if it were my bike I would be happier with a wheel that hadn't been straitened.

There is no way I would even consider reusing that rim. It's structural integrity is gone.
[/QUOте]
used wheel from ebay probably cheaper. Guy sprays some paint to hide some marks.

Sometimes repaired rims are stronger than the original due to the repair processes. Sometimes.....not all the time. I just see rolled bends and no angles in there. I think the rim will be fine.
Do you still have KZ1000 shaft? I had 80.

There is no way I would even consider reusing that rim. It's structural integrity is gone.
I agree with that.

In industry repaired alloys like that are liquid penetrant tested and X-Rayed as a minimum, to ensure their are no cracks or voids that you cannot see. Not to say that the repair guy does not do this as it's old technology from way back in the stone age days. Also aluminium work hardens when getting pushed about, unless it is annealed back to original structure after repair.

For me I wouldn't use it if it did not have any testing done on it, but that is just my personal opinion considering the results if something actually did happen.

Getting levered off a tree (still alive) with a crowbar is not a thought I like to think about.

Do you still have KZ1000 shaft? I had 80.

Yes I do. This bike was originally my buddies bike. He rode it for about 6 years before I knew him. When I first met him, the bike was developing more issues than he could handle. Carb boots were splitting, ignition coils were cracking. The motorcycle also had a Vetter system on it where the electrical was hacked on the bike and electrical connections were beginning to fail. The bike currently sits in my garage where it needs a complete restore. Its not something on my to do list right now and nor will it be in the foreseeable future.

This particular KZ from minor research came in 2 engine variants. the sub 1000cc engine and the bigger 1000cc engine. This one is the bigger 1000cc engine. 1.JPG2.JPG

These are not recent pics. These pics are from about 10-12 years ago. But the looks are pretty much unchanged as the bike has now been garage kept.

It's one thing to have "A" dent in a wheel like this:

1639756274252.png

That, I could live with having repaired.

But that entire rim is gone. There are at least three major areas on opposite sides of the wheel that are badly damaged. There's simply no way unless he melted down and recast the entire rim that it's structurally sound.

There is one exception to that though: If I were never going to ride it and just use it to have on the bike to move it around the shop while it's worked on or something.

I also certainly would never consider letting anybody else ride it either. Can you imagine the shit you would be in if it failed while somebody else was riding it and it came to light it had been repaired and reused after that amount of damage?

Latest posts

Back