wheel polishing

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bud7680

Reaction score
:ummm:anyone polished their own stock wheels to a mirror like finish? what was the process, the materials used(sandpaper,waxes,etc.). Where did you get the materials and how did they turn out?:bang head:

I did the upper half of a set of scoops. It took days and convinced me that Chrome or PowderCoat are a much better way to go on Aluminum parts....
Man, You're realistically talking a week of major production with power tools to do it right.... IMHO... :confused2:

BTW: Welcome to The Forum.....

Just send them out for chrome, lol. Its way too much work. Not only the initial part, but the upkeep too.

I did the rim lips on a busa wheel the other day and it took forever just for that. Its shiny and reflective but not a mirror finish.

I used a aerosol paint stripper first. It was called tal hyde II. I got it at the auto parts store.
I used 01 steel wool to remove residual paint. I got it at the hardware store years ago
I started sanding with 220 then 340,400,600,1000. I spent a lot of time sanding but it wasn't enough. This was not apparent until I polished. Some very fine scratches are visible if you inspect closely. Should have used 800, and 1500 too. All sandpaper was the wet/dry type. I got it from napa. I had the wheel set up on 2x4s over the laundry sink with the water on while I worked.

The last step was polish. I used a sisal buff with a brown compound first and then a cotton wheel with a white polish. The wheels and polish was from lowes. Then, I finished up with a hand polishing compound called purple metal polish. I bought it at a local truck repair and sales shop. I coated the rim with it and ran the cotton buff over it.

As mentioned, it looks good but not perfect. Im considering finding some other grits of paper and starting over and buying some clean wheels.

If you're in the middle of the process check out caswell plating. They sell products that are excellent. They have a polishing forum, and they sell what you need to do wheels in a kit

Attachments

• 2011-04-24_00-52-23_853.jpg
    2011-04-24_00-52-23_853.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 2011-04-24_00-52-44_851.jpg
    2011-04-24_00-52-44_851.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
:ummm:anyone polished their own stock wheels to a mirror like finish? what was the process, the materials used(sandpaper,waxes,etc.). Where did you get the materials and how did they turn out?:bang head:
Put a hard pad on a hand grinder. Get a polishing stick for alum-Sears.Sand smooth down to 800 grit or so. then polish away with a grinder. Time consuming yes,up keep yes. Clean with mothers metal polish. If you bother to chrome them your going to spend time waxing them too, though not as long.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back