• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to VMAX Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wheels on ebay

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gentsvmax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
18x5.5 rear, 18x3.5 front, 699 on ebay
s-l300.jpg

A great deal for someone. Much-cheaper than I can get them made.

Sorry, maybe should have checked with admin. Im not trying to promote any sale's, really just curious
about that two piece design. Is that a common or maybe exotic type wheel?

Okay, well thank's for educating me on this. Vmax Forum.
What if any is the advantage of a two piece or bolt-up, why isn't that front wheel
a bolt-up? That rear wheel looks like it would bolt right up to my 63 Bug.

As you know, if you have a stock 1963 VW 1200 cc, with its factory-rating of 40 HP, which is probably half of that on a dyno, it uses 15" wheels, like our VMax. The use of a 17" rear wheel and the typical sportbike rear tire in a low-profile, will result in what amounts to a gearing change, because the height of the wheel/tire combo drops quite a bit, and will chop-off some top-end speed from your ride. The factory said 149 mph, but anyone who's held-onto their bike for long-enough to approach a reading anywhere-near that, knows that the experience isn't a confident, "I'm in control!" one. Your bolt-upright seating position interferes with your bike's aerodynamics, and it's more-akin to Slim Pickens at the end of the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

The 18" wheel and tire, even with a low-profile tire, will be much-closer to the stock 15" OEM rear wheel and tall aspect-ratio tire, in height. You will lose less top-end speed, compared to the 17" wheel. However, since the majority of us enjoy the acceleration instead of the top speed capabilities, a 17" rear wheel isn't a liability, for most riders. If you wanted to experiment with internal gearbox ratios on say, 4th and 5th gears, which requires splitting the cases, using Venture/Royal Star components, you could probably regain some top-end, and lower the rpm's at cruising speed, resulting in better gas economy. You can also run a Venture/Royal Star differential, which has a higher rear-end final drive (it's lower numerically) which will lessen your acceleration a bit, but again, will give you better gas mileage, and lower rpm's at cruising.

Sean Morley [email protected] has worked-out what internal gearing changes there are, and also what years and models of Venture/Royal Star differentials will result in gearing changes which a rider may find beneficial to his riding style, and goals for changing wheel/tire sizes, gearbox ratios, and final drive ratios. Contact him, he can sell you what you need if any of this sounds like a path you would like to take.

Last edited:
I was thinking if one got a rear hub machined with flange, it would be easy to find someone to lace up a rim ala Going Into the Nines.
Since this one already has bolt holes, it will not be a candidate. A modular rear rim/tire capability is intriging though !

As you know, if you have a stock 1963 VW 1200 cc, with its factory-rating of 40 HP, which is probably half of that on a dyno, it uses 15" wheels, like our VMax. The use of a 17" rear wheel and the typical sportbike rear tire in a low-profile, will result in what amounts to a gearing change, because the height of the wheel/tire combo drops quite a bit, and will chop-off some top-end speed from your ride. The factory said 149 mph, but anyone who's held-onto their bike for long-enough to approach a reading anywhere-near that, knows that the experience isn't a confident, "I'm in control!" one. Your bolt-upright seating position interferes with your bike's aerodynamics, and it's more-akin to Slim Pickens at the end of the movie, Dr. Strangelove.

The 18" wheel and tire, even with a low-profile tire, will be much-closer to the stock 15" OEM rear wheel and tall aspect-ratio tire, in height. You will lose less top-end speed, compared to the 17" wheel. However, since the majority of us enjoy the acceleration instead of the top speed capabilities, a 17" rear wheel isn't a liability, for most riders. If you wanted to experiment with internal gearbox ratios on say, 4th and 5th gears, which requires splitting the cases, using Venture/Royal Star components, you could probably regain some top-end, and lower the rpm's at cruising speed, resulting in better gas economy. You can also run a Venture/Royal Star differential, which has a higher rear-end final drive (it's lower numerically) which will lessen your acceleration a bit, but again, will give you better gas mileage, and lower rpm's at cruising.

Sean Morley [email protected] has worked-out what internal gearing changes there are, and also what years and models of Venture/Royal Star differentials will result in gearing changes which a rider may find beneficial to his riding style, and goals for changing wheel/tire sizes, gearbox ratios, and final drive ratios. Contact him, he can sell you what you need if any of this sounds like a path you would like to take.
17x300 rear wheel and tire,Venture/Royal diff,undercut gear's with o.d. 4th and 5th, and got the T shirt LOL,I was just thinking along the lines of what PATMAX described, a setup where a guy could switch out say a slick or a track tire or a laced wheel. I Thank you for the detailed explanation. That 63 Bug had a 2310cc time bomb motor that made 210 hp for a short summer of fun and 8 points.

Latest posts

Back