When the site seems slow

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dannymax

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Occassionally this site seems to be very slow, takes forever to bring up a new page or make any switch at all. The only other function on my computer that is affected is sending e mails....this seems to be extremely slow also. No other site or function appears to be connected with the 'slow down'.....just the VMF and my e mail.

I have found that unplugging the modem for 20 - 25 seconds will remedy the issue. I have no idea why it works....maybe it is just simple coincidence :confused2:, but it seems to have fixed the problem the last several times I tried it.

I have seen others post of having this slowness issue also....this is something to try that may work.

It also suggests that it may be a local server issue and not anything in the VMF site. Buster and I discussed this quite a while ago and he could find no explanation for it.

I always blame my wife then aohell first...lol Tons of emais open on her site ect. I restart my computer before comming here, keep our temp files at a minimum. It seems to help a little.
Steve-o

danny it may have to do with the internet connection bogging down. do other webpages load slow @ the same time?

danny it may have to do with the internet connection bogging down. do other webpages load slow @ the same time?

Only transmitting e mails garrett, that seems very slow when the VMF is slow....nothing else seems to be affected. In the morning I start with answering my overnight e mails, if the replys take a long time to transmit then I know the VMF will be slow....it never fails. But unplugging the modem will eliminate the issue, at first I thought it was just coincidence but......:ummm:

each time this has happened to me, i notice that other sites are still functional. i just attribute it to a server thing, like, maintenance, or the its being over-hit. i just shrug it off. the forum usually comes alive within an hour later

each time this has happened to me, i notice that other sites are still functional. i just attribute it to a server thing, like, maintenance, or the its being over-hit. i just shrug it off. the forum usually comes alive within an hour later

'janeer, try unplugging the modem next time....just for gits & shiggles! I keep expecting things to be unchanged when I plug it back in....proving to me that it's just been coincidence all along....but it always seems to do the trick.

see i've never had that issue. but my internet speeds at home are faster than at work even!

Yeah, somethimes its extra super fast and other time it drves me crazy!

Exactly! If I'm posting or answering PM's I'll hit 'submit reply' then go to another site and shoot a couple games of pool, it's usually gone through when I come back. The plus there is I'm getting kick-ass good with my pool game!! :rofl_200:

Interesting... the forum runs on a dedicated server so I don't believe it would be an issue of too many database inquiries maxing out the CPU. But I have seen similar threads to this before. It was slow for me once when I was on a different home internet provider. It was only this site, but if I hopped onto one of my neighbours unsecured wireless networks, it wasn't slow. It seemed like a routing issue from my place to the server location, but repeated traceroutes never really showed an issue. When I changed to a different home internet provider, the slow connection times disappeared! :confused2: On my latest renewal with the place that is hosting Vmaxforum, I was offered a new set of servers that the site could be ported to. It would involve changing the IP address of the forum so that could result in some minor issues of people connecting until the DNS was fully propagated, however it might clear up the intermittent slowness that I think is from a bad route sitting on a backbone router.

Anyway, I've never had it be slow. Every so often (very rare), I get the generic vbulletin "database error" screen. Usually within a few minutes it's working again, but once I'm on it's always fine.

Which is almost strange, since sometimes time warner are a bunch of dick wranglers and throttle the connection waaaay down if they detect you're using "too much". Torrents almost always trip this. On my supposed 5mb connection, usage over 1mb for more than a minute or so results in suddenly a "firewall detected" and downloads throttled down to like 50kb/s. Pisses me off since it takes hours to reset, rendering any sort of online game worthless.

Interesting... the forum runs on a dedicated server so I don't believe it would be an issue of too many database inquiries maxing out the CPU. But I have seen similar threads to this before. It was slow for me once when I was on a different home internet provider. It was only this site, but if I hopped onto one of my neighbours unsecured wireless networks, it wasn't slow. It seemed like a routing issue from my place to the server location, but repeated traceroutes never really showed an issue. When I changed to a different home internet provider, the slow connection times disappeared! :confused2: On my latest renewal with the place that is hosting Vmaxforum, I was offered a new set of servers that the site could be ported to. It would involve changing the IP address of the forum so that could result in some minor issues of people connecting until the DNS was fully propagated, however it might clear up the intermittent slowness that I think is from a bad route sitting on a backbone router.

Forgot to mention - somethimes I have WSOD with "database error" - same as RaWarrior.

Modem disconnect update: It turns out to be a bogus fix.....tried it this morning and it didn't do shit! Site was slow before and after disconnect! :bang head:

That was this morning....it's fine now.

Anyway, I've never had it be slow. Every so often (very rare), I get the generic vbulletin "database error" screen. Usually within a few minutes it's working again, but once I'm on it's always fine.

Which is almost strange, since sometimes time warner are a bunch of dick wranglers and throttle the connection waaaay down if they detect you're using "too much". Torrents almost always trip this. On my supposed 5mb connection, usage over 1mb for more than a minute or so results in suddenly a "firewall detected" and downloads throttled down to like 50kb/s. Pisses me off since it takes hours to reset, rendering any sort of online game worthless.

Forgot to mention - somethimes I have WSOD with "database error" - same as RaWarrior.
Same here, no slowness issue just the occasional "database error" which clears after a few minutes.

Same here, no slowness issue just the occasional "database error" which clears after a few minutes.

Indeed sometimes the site won't load at all or half-way through browsing returns a 'database error'.

It never lasts more than a few hours though, and usually works fine again a little later. :confused2:

earlier today it was down completely. not sure why.

Back