Where does this wire go?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f4publishing

Reaction score
Hi all,

Newbie here so be kind! After stripping my V-Max for a frame respray and putting it all back together I'm a bit stumped as to where the wire highlighted below should go. I've checked the wiring diagrams but must admit to being a bit confused as I can't identify this one. It comes off the main loom. The bike is a Canadian import into the UK as far as I can tell. TIA

Inked20211201_153643_2_LI.jpg

Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like a brown wire. I'd just grab a schematic, track down the browns, pull out your trusty DMM and resort to powers of deductive reasoning with regard to terminations in that area.

as I'm rubbish with electrics I would try to start the bike and use all of its component parts and see what doesn't work :oops:

Not sure if it is the photo but it looks very big compared to what looks like what I assume is the fuel level sensor wiring and is nearly as big as the earth wire?

If brown then that is a power feed so it should be possible to see what isn't working but I don't recall any that big.
If it is red then the r/r is of similar gauge and if memory serves well has a connector on the left hand side of the bike near the battery.

Thanks - it's brown but I can't find any missing connections or deduce it from the wiring diagrams. It's also quite chunky which makes me worry! Earth makes sense but it may be a case of wiring up the battery and crossing fingers...

From the picture, someone added COPS and that could be a non OEM wire. Do you have a test light or voltmeter? Check the continuity from that brown wire to ground. That may tell you if the wire is connected to the ground/negative side of the system. If no connectivity to ground, then it may provide a ground path to the negative terminal. Disconnect both negative and positive wires from the battery and check for continuity from the brown wire to all the wires that went to the positive battery terminal. If there is continuity, it goes to the positive side of the system. If no continuity, it may supply 12 VDC to a componet. Can't tell if it is a ring or spade connector, but looks like a ring terminal and may have gone to one of the battery posts.
Is the wire taped up with the wire bundle going to the COPS?

Last edited:
It`s likely a ground wire or a 12v. Can you test the resistance (ohm) between it and the negative connector of the battery? If that`s 1-2 ohm, you can connect it to the ground.

I wouldn't connect that to anything until you know its purpose.

Brown tends to be power (12v) and black is earth (0V).

Mine is a Canadian model imported into the UK and I had a look but could not see the same wire. It may need the seat to be lifted to see what is going on. How large is the hole in the ring terminal?

Where the wire comes out, does it look like the look has been re-taped? (i.e. is it original wire or for some after market component?)

I am not seeing the rear brake master - according to the manual that has a brown wire going to the rear brake switch.
Again, according to the manual, no other brown wires lie in that region.

Latest posts

Back