Where to connect choke to carbs? (83 Venture with V-Max carbs I think)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcompton1973

Reaction score
I have an 83 venture.
New to me a few months ago.
Felt sluggish and I wondered if carbs were plugged etc.

I've been working a lot, guy on Craigslist was advertising to do bike repairs so I sent it to him. Never again trusting anyone else to fix my bike.

Guy found 2 issues with my bike. 1. 2 carbs were not working at all...I was running on half power. 2. It has V-Max carbs. After 4 months the carbs were fixed and back on bike...sort of. He did not have the 2nd part of the throttle hooked up. I found how to do that...but the choke cable isn't attached and I can't figure out where it is supposed to attach.

So the questionstatement.
1. Should I keep the V-Max carbs or go stock (once I got it started...seems good now...but can hardly get it started without choke)
2. If I keep them...where to connect the choke cable?

The plastic air cut off cover is moved from the #4 carb (on V Max's) to the #1 carb on your venture....a metal ring goes over the cover....the choke cable attaches to the ring.

Completely different from the VMax carbs....in fact the VMax carbs are 35mm, the Venture took 34mm.

I probly have some good 34mm Venture carbs here if you are interested in a trade.

I will attach pictures of what I have.

I am not a hot rod kind of guy...but I want the bike to get me out of the way, and down the interstate with no issues either. I cant see where the Venture really benefits from the V-Max carbs...but I am sure someone thought they would make this heavy giant bike a hot rod this way. lol.

I might be willing to trade if it will simplify my life.

Here are the pics before I found out about the "push" cable on the throttle. If I swap carbs to stock...does this go away?

tMfMYK.jpg

h4vJWF.jpg

I'm not sure what you want to go away.....both cables, accel & decel for lack of better terms, are necessary.

It's unlikely that your bike will benefit from the larger VMax carbs, the XVZ1200 Venture engine is designed for the 34mm carbs that came on it.

I have some questions, I'll PM you.

Attachments

• Throttle cable removal-2.jpg
    Throttle cable removal-2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 9
Main jets in the Venture are 117. Main jets in Vmax are 152.5 so the Vmax carbs wont work on the Venture. The venture slides have smaller holes in them than the Vmax. The Vmax carbs will fit the venture but you have to rejet and change the choke levers. I have a bunch of choke set ups for the Venture carbs if needed but they wont work on the only specific Vmax carb that has the screw port for the choke shaft. You need the Venture carb for that spot. I also have that carb if needed.

Latest posts

Back