Where's the Auxiliary Light?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie2ee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I show an Auxiliary light on the wiring diagram but in all my dealings with the bike, I don't know of any Auxiliary light except for the blank space on the Instrument panel.....................anybody know what this is or where this is.............thanks

Thank you..................didn't know I had a "P" position on the ignition switch. I have never turned the key switch to that position and I had one heck of time getting the key to turn to that position and sure enough the rear taillight came on but no headlamp light...............bulb is probably gone or burnt out. Learning something new everyday............thanks again for the info, I was beginning to think that I was looking at an aberration on my wiring diagram..............lots of people looking at the thread but no responses...............maybe they thought oh, this is the idiot with the reversed battery and decided to let me suffer in silence..............

Thank you..................didn't know I had a "P" position on the ignition switch. I have never turned the key switch to that position and I had one heck of time getting the key to turn to that position and sure enough the rear taillight came on but no headlamp light...............bulb is probably gone or burnt out. Learning something new everyday............thanks again for the info, I was beginning to think that I was looking at an aberration on my wiring diagram..............lots of people looking at the thread but no responses...............maybe they thought oh, this is the idiot with the reversed battery and decided to let me suffer in silence..............

Actually, I was aware of the <P>ark setting and the tail light illumination (was/is a very common feature on bikes, but goes mostly unused). I was NOT aware, or maybe didn't pay attention, that Yamaha was calling it "Auxiliary". To be honest, I was also not aware that something other than the tail light illuminated on the Vmax. Again, likely due to the fact that I never (never) use that switch position.

According to the Haynes manual it is only on the European models and not on the US or Canadian versions.
That would explain why most would not be aware of it.

I now have two Yamaha service manual wiring diagrams(VMX12E/EC) and one shows a lone Auxiliary light, rear Running lights, and the Instrument lights tied to the Park position on the key switch and the other diagram(VMX12E/EC) shows no Auxiliary light and Front and Rear Running lights and Instrument lights tied to the Park position on the key switch................I checked my wiring and there is no Auxiliary light inside the headlamp...............makes sense that only the running lights are energized in the Park position on the key switch. I will be eliminating any reference to an Auxiliary light on my schematic revisions...........thanks for the feedback...........I'm pretty sure that my bike is not European.............

I will be eliminating any reference to an Auxiliary light on my schematic revisions.

Yeh, but what about the owners of European models? I suspect that the Japan models also have this feature.
I hope this isn't another case of 'America first'? :rolleyes: :)

Whoops................good point, I forgot that this is an International forum and I certainly don't want to alienate my comrades around the globe....................I will gladly add the "Auxiliary" light back but I need to know where this mystery light is and what's it's function so that I can label it properly...............thanks again for keeping me on the straight and narrow...........

Whoops................good point, I forgot that this is an International forum and I certainly don't want to alienate my comrades around the globe....................I will gladly add the "Auxiliary" light back but I need to know where this mystery light is and what's it's function so that I can label it properly...............thanks again for keeping me on the straight and narrow...........

Hi Mr Okie2ee, phew, another potential international incident avoided!

I have attached a copy of the Haynes diagram for the European models ('90 on) and have arrowed the sidelight (Its purpose is to provide forward facing illumination when the switch is in the 'P' position.) plus a couple of other differences.

The pre '90 wiring is the same.
Just to complicate matter further note that European models have light and passing switches, they don't have running lights: the diode block wiring is different - post '90 (no blue/ white wire). The pre '90 wire colours on the diode block and loom differ.
Apart from that....

It's your call if you feel inclined to incorporate the differences and I would understand if you chose not to.
Let me know if I can be of further help (or hindrance 😦)

Attachments

• VMax-wiring-duagram---1990-on.jpg
    VMax-wiring-duagram---1990-on.jpg
    321.2 KB · Views: 6
Thank you for your response and helpful information....................the wiring diagram tells the story that I needed to see.................it may explain why I'm seeing this hybrid mixture of drawings showing up..............so far, I have not been able to put my hands on a drawing that shows the correct wiring for the "P" position on my 85 and 93 Vmax..............according to my drawing the Instrument lights and Rear Tailights are connected to "P" the blue wire.................however my Instrument lights don't come on in the "P" position and when I turn the key to the "On" position the Instrument lights are on and when I pull the fuse for the Headlight, the Instrument lights go off....................which means the Instrument lights have to be tied to the Headlamp circuit..............which corresponds to my bike when I turn the key to "P" only the Rear Taillights come on..................all the other lights come on in the "On" position.

I also notice that your switches are different than mine so incorporating both styles into a single drawing would be difficult.............however, the changes are subtle and I would be willing to generate new European drawings based on your wiring diagram if you think my style of drawing would be advantageous to others..............my whole purpose to date has been to generate drawings which I can use that allow me to see the whole picture easily in a format that I feel is easier to view and understand............I don't care for wiring diagrams as trouble shooting aids............thanks again for all your help

I also notice that your switches are different than mine so incorporating both styles into a single drawing would be difficult. However, the changes are subtle and I would be willing to generate new European drawings based on your wiring diagram if you think my style of drawing would be advantageous to others.
I don't care for wiring diagrams as trouble shooting aids.

If you are prepared to put in the time then the more info that is available the better and will be appreciated. 😁

Love 'em or hate 'em you will always need a wiring diagram as an aid to diagnosis if only for the colours of the wiring and to se what connects to what.
That said I prefer to use a guided diagnosis flow diagram when available but it isn't feasible to write one for every conceivable fault.
Until that day comes it's back to the diagrams! :(

Decided to share the joy of new drawings.................attached are the European drawings for your review..................I need to know what the order of the ignition coils are on the drawing you posted so that I can match colors to the coils...............I would appreciate your review of the drawings and any comments as a result of that review.................I believe I have caught all the differences that you pointed out on the drawing and I also think I've checked all the color codes.....................however, I'm still finding errors in my original drawings, like wrong color on the High Beam indicator light................do you have the interior llayout for the Diode Block on the European model...................waiting to hear back from you............thanks

Attachments

• European Vmax Dwg Sht 1_For Review Only.pdf
    34.2 KB · Views: 7
  • European Vmax Dwg Sht 2_For Review Only.pdf
    51.5 KB · Views: 6
If you are prepared to put in the time then the more info that is available the better and will be appreciated. 😁

Love 'em or hate 'em you will always need a wiring diagram as an aid to diagnosis if only for the colours of the wiring and to se what connects to what.
That said I prefer to use a guided diagnosis flow diagram when available but it isn't feasible to write one for every conceivable fault.
Until that day comes it's back to the diagrams! :(
What years does the drawing that you posted cover?

Latest posts

Back