Which chassis is better Venture or Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saml01

Reaction score
Which is the superior chassis, the venture or the vmax?

Same power, same everything, except I guess the suspension.

Venture is heavier and everything is stronger built. I like the mono air ride arm. BUT, the extra weight is going to kill the acceleration compared to the Vmax. Of course the looks aren't even something worth comparing.

Sean

Heavier how? Comparing them stock or when comparing frame to frame?

I have not weighed the parts on the scale but the swingarm alone is far heavier. much more material and doublers/bracing. The frame has more crap on it too. I do like the bigger fuel tank but it won't work on the vmax either.

Sean

Not directly. The hub width is definitely different though I have not tried to swap them. I know others have and it required some machine work.

FFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU

So aside from the powerplant, nothing is a carry over?

Not much at all. Have looked at the 4 piston rear brake stay and brakes and will eventually see if it can be swapped in place. Even the powerplant is not a direct swap. You could swap the entire front end though not sure why you would. Same with the rear. You could weld on shock mounts and cut off the mono stuff. But, the arms are shorter then the vmax so not sure why you'd do that (and not sure how much clearance there is to the tank).

The rear diff can swap over from 86-93 with the addition of the shock stud.

The rear wheel should swap over but with it narrower will maybe require the venture brake stay and maybe a spacer on the rest of it. if that is true then the offset will be to the left when it's done.

Sean

I thought they were the same cases, just different bores?

Heads are different too... No boost either.

Cases are pretty much identical though yes.

Did you know some vmax's came with the 1300 motor? SUPER rare...

No, where'd you hear that? Couple times a 1300 Vmax has popped up was because someone swapped it in, for whatever reason. Probably to make their Venture faster.

The Max motor has a good 25-30hp over the Venture despite it's smaller size. Higher compression, different cams, vboost

They're both V4's and have similar cases, but they really don't share a whole lot beyond that. The Venture was the "inspiration" for the Max but little more.

Heads are different too... No boost either.

Cases are pretty much identical though yes.

Thats what I was getting at. Swap the heads and vboost onto a 1300.

It's true...I heard Yamaha ran out of 1200 engines so used Ventures. I can't remember what year.

we had a discussion about this a while back. it was like '88 or something?

Not true - at least every one I have seen claimed did not have the 1300.

The compression is the same. All the power is in the heads, cam, and induction (Vboost). The basic short block is interchangeable and will give an approx 10% boost in HP with all else equal. You have to swap over a number of parts like shift shaft, pcv system, coolant distribution pipe, slave adapter for the brake line, cylinder cover plates, and some minor misc.

Sean

vmax in the back has a venture motor. and trust me it was a turd.
Picture017.jpg

Yep, I can see from here someone just put the complete engine in and didn't bother moving the heads over. So, he is about 25-40hp down from where he should be. Could even be a 1200 venture which would be REALLY lame.

The vmax in the front has the clutch cover insert from the Venture motor.

I want those wheels. Wtf were they thinking putting these dishes on the vmax.

I want those wheels. Wtf were they thinking putting these dishes on the vmax.

you want 85 wheels. i have the set on the front bike to sale.

And Sean is right. when we got the max that has the venture motor. it was a 1200. and nothing was swaped(heads) but it did have a working vboost. lol
I like the venture clutch cover insert. it's still on the bike i ride. i wish the insert for the other side of the motor was the same. but the venture insert is smaller. and wont fit .

Back