Which oil to use

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Somebody told me that synthetic oil, for example Motul 7100-4T, makes the clutch of a V-Max slip. He advised to use half-synthetic oil.
Can you confirm this or is it a fairytale?
I use Motul 7100-4T in all my other bikes and have no problems...

Thanks for your advise!

Marcel.

That has been reported over the years (Gen I) but don't recall reading about that issue on a Gen II.

Whichever brand you choose it should meet API service SG type or higher, JASO standard MA. Yamaha recommend 10W-40 or 20W-50, SAE 10W-40 or SAE 20W-50.
The only thing to watch out for is that you use an oil that does not have friction modifiers as this is likely to cause clutch slip.

i.e. This on the container1658576254760.png

Last edited:
I use conventional Rotella 15/40 in my Gen1, and anything else that does not call for synthetics or blends. Next time I have a bike that requires synthetics I will very likely return to Amsoil.

Last edited:
I use conventional Rotella 15/40 in my Gen1, and anything else that does not call for synthetics or blends. Next time I have a bike that requires synthetics I will very likely return to Amsoil.
Rotella has great properties for our type of engine/transmission. 15w-40 conventional.

I can totally get behind synthetic oils being not the best, but I don't understand why I never see oils here that yamaha recommends, which I think is 20W40 above 40 degrees F and 10W30 below 60 degrees. Coming up on an oil change myself and not using what the factory engineers suggested is scary for some reason.15-40 may be a reasonable split, but would it be appropriate in really hot weather?

Imo the fact synthetic frequently causes clutch slippage it “must” lubricate “better” right? I like that. So do DD clutch mod to deal with slippage AND get the benefits synthetic offers. Just my opinion. Run what weight Yamaha recommends and don’t worry. 5-30, 5-40, 15-40 they all seem to work well depending on who u listen to. 👍🏼

I can totally get behind synthetic oils being not the best, but I don't understand why I never see oils here that yamaha recommends, which I think is 20W40 above 40 degrees F and 10W30 below 60 degrees. Coming up on an oil change myself and not using what the factory engineers suggested is scary for some reason.15-40 may be a reasonable split, but would it be appropriate in really hot weather?
I ran it the whole time I lived in the Tampa area

I ran it the whole time I lived in the Tampa area
I assume this is the Rotella 15-40 I keep seeing crop up here. I'll go with that then. I suppose I've just been trying to find viable oil/filter combinations because there is a lot of cross talk about pressure/weights. Maybe I can throw up a poll or something and we can figure out the oil which rules them all. When I got the thing, it had an hf303 on it, which has a fitment corresponding to the vmax ( Hiflofiltro: Catalogue ). So, since the mobil1 seems to get mixed reviews on here regarding psi I'll run these two as a pair and if anything blows up I'll be sure to report back for anyone interested in knowing how to avoid that. Many thanks for the quick reply.

Imo the fact synthetic frequently causes clutch slippage it “must” lubricate “better” right? I like that. So do DD clutch mod to deal with slippage AND get the benefits synthetic offers. Just my opinion. Run what weight Yamaha recommends and don’t worry. 5-30, 5-40, 15-40 they all seem to work well depending on who u listen to. 👍🏼
I know I’m new here but I’ve ran full synthetic in every motorcycle I’ve owned sometimes even a fully synthetic automotive oil if the ingredients match somewhat close to what I’m looking for. You can find this information on the bobstheoilguy forum. I’ve never had any clutch slip whatsoever on any of them. And I ride them hard. I at one point I was running mobile 1 10w40 over the mobile 1 10w40t motorcycle oil because the recipes of both oils were so similar and the 10w40 automotive oil was half the price. Never any issues with it in my r1 which puts some serious power to the ground. I’ve not decided what I’ll be running in my vmax yet being I picked it up at the end of the riding season.

Have you ever had a gen1 Vmax and run synthetic? Clutch slipping with synthetic is not uncommon. Maybe just marginal from the factory …. Or maybe my clutch is worn. The DD mod always cures the slip though.

Hi all,

Somebody told me that synthetic oil, for example Motul 7100-4T, makes the clutch of a V-Max slip. He advised to use half-synthetic oil.
Can you confirm this or is it a fairytale?
I use Motul 7100-4T in all my other bikes and have no problems...

Thanks for your advise!

Marcel.
My advice use yamalube as per recommended by Yamaha

Back