Which side gets hotter faster?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rf900flyer

Reaction score
It seems like the front 2 cyl. get hotter faster than the rear 2. Is this normal??
I 1st thought I bought a dud bike, not knowing about v4's, and possibly the sound was a bored out muffler as opposed to running on 2 cyl. I checked the spark and the coils were producing, a nice ticking spark on both rear cyls.
@ 60 it does about 3800 rpm & about 80 @ 4500 rpm so I figured there really can't be a way for this to run like this on 2 cyl. (using 600 cc).
but someone riding behind me noticed they smelled a lot of gas when I was taking off. I did try to pull the plugs which leads to another question.
My clymer book says use a 5/8 for the plug. Are you using a special brand socket?? Mine won't go in the the engine....it works fine on my Vic & Rf.....

:ummm:

thanks

You need a long thin-walled 18mm socket to get the spark plugs out - most sold at Autozone/Napa etc do fit just fine.

If your front cylinders (and especially exhaust headers) get warmer a lot quicker than the rear there's defo something odd going on as they should pretty much warm up all the same.

Craftsman 18mm deep socket. 2 Extensions (6") and a couple of wobbles. So, Socket < Wobble < Extension < Wobble < Extension < Ratchet.

if you have a temp gun you can put it on each header and see how much of a difference is there, as stated should not be a huge amount, if anything you think the rear ones would be hotter as these is less airflow back there. little fuel smell might need a float adjustment maybe but how do the plugs look,idle/wide open cut?

You can have problems with the plugs or with the carbs mixture... Eventhough you can visibly check for spark when the plugs are removed that doesn't mean the spark is good enough to ignite inside the cylinder. Happened to me one time and puzzled me till i got new plugs and solved the issue. The previous ones were iridium and were flooded due a spray of fuel by the NOS pump when i switched the main to on to check circuit operating after rebuilding.

I had issues with a brand new Dyna ignition box where at idle and low rpm it would drop 2cyl. I went back to the stock box no probs now.

""""""""""Best tools I found for removing plugs are in the tool kit under the rear seat section."""""""""" ....not all used bikes come w/ tools....

After you get the plug loose, slip a piece of 1/2" id fuel hose (about 5" long) over the plug and wobble it out. This also is the best way to start a plug without cross threading it. I also like the socket in the tool kit, if you can get one. Otherwise a store bought deep socket will work fine. Cylinder temp while warming up, check your fuel enrichment linkage and make sure all carbs are opening the enrichment valves equally.
S

Back