Which Torque Wrench to Buy?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
Goin to be pulling the motor out of the Max to fix my 2nd gear issue soon, and I need to buy a torque wrench any suggestion? What does everyone else use?

I have a click 3/8" craftsman I use for 15-65 ft. Lb, a sweep 1/2" I use for the rear axle and swingarm bolts, and a click in. Lb I use for case covers, oil pan, etc.

I would get an inexpensive Digital Torque Wrench. They have come WAY down in price. It's a no-brainer as far as I am concerned.

I've seen too many people break bolts with cheap torque wrenches because they are not accurate. Get one from Sears, accurate and guarantied for life. Too important not to buy a good one and for not much more. One time investment.

I don't trust cheap torque wrenches to much I would stay away from Harbor Freight. I have a 3/8 & 1/2 inch Snap on & a 1/4 craftsman. I don't suggest Snap on if its not something your going to use all the time but I would at least spring for a craftsman or something close in quality. Craftsman is not the quality it used to be but still halfway decent.

Lowes and Kobolt seem to be good quality stuff, what about those?
I was reading some review's online about Kobolt i'm thinkin I might go that route don't really need a torque wrench everyday but I don't want junk either.

i bought a kobalt a few months ago and it seems to work good so far. i have a snap on 1/2" dial to compare it to and its dead on. my dad bought me a crapsman years ago and it didnt last long.

i bought a kobalt a few months ago and it seems to work good so far. i have a snap on 1/2" dial to compare it to and its dead on. my dad bought me a crapsman years ago and it didnt last long.
It's too bad Craftsman is not what it used to be, I have some of my grandfather's old Craftsman tools and you can tell a big difference, I do still buy them but i'm careful what I get.

I like the brand that clicks, you don't have to worry about looking at a dial or needle to get the bolt to the torque spec.

I took my Craftsman back 20 years ago because it fell apart. I was told that it wasn't covered under the Craftsman Warranty. Rebuilt it myself and tested calibration in a lab, been using it ever since. Craftsman Is currently made in China and it's CRAP. I have several from Harbor Freight and they aren't that bad, calibration is off slightly but they are not excessive, only time will tell. Snap On is made in China now too. Is there anything made in the USA anymore?????????????

You will probably need an inch/pound one also. I have old Craftsman made in the US in all 3 normal sizes. (inch/pound, and two ft/lb in 75 and 200 ft/lb max ratings. Have a Harbor Freight in the truck for the lug nuts. Close enough for them.

I think I am going to buy one of these to replace my Harbor Freight 3/8". (I also have older (Ci: 1985) Snap-On 1/4" click-type and 1/2" click-type.) These "new" Digital Torque wrenches are far superior imho.

http://www.eastwood.com/digital-electronic-torque-wrench-3-8-drive.html

p39936b.jpg

p39936a.jpg

I m also looking for the same thing, is there any specific torque range that i should have in count when buying the wrench? or they are mostly standard use range?

You will probably need an inch/pound one also. I have old Craftsman made in the US in all 3 normal sizes. (inch/pound, and two ft/lb in 75 and 200 ft/lb max ratings. Have a Harbor Freight in the truck for the lug nuts. Close enough for them.

born2ride...

Latest posts

Back