Which wave rotors to get for 86 Max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMechEng

Reaction score
I'm doing the Hayabusa front upgrade and need some new front rotors. I'm trying to find some of the Chinese wave rotors on Ebay but I'm having no luck. What should I look for so that I know the wave rotor will work on my model (1986) vmax? Thanks!

I didn't think 93+ would fit in forks. I may be wrong. I know they will bolt up to wheel. I got 93 rotors on an 85 wheel

I didn't think 93+ would fit in forks. I may be wrong. I know they will bolt up to wheel. I got 93 rotors on an 85 wheel

your post seems to contradict itself. lots of guys running 93+ rotors on any year wheel on 92 and lower forks. obviously requires upgraded calipers.

:bang head: Ahhhhh I thought there was a clearance problem. I don't know what im talking about don't listen to me Hahahaha.:bang head: wasn't trying to condridict myself I forgot to say I got 2005 forks

:bang head: Ahhhhh I thought there was a clearance problem. I don't know what im talking about don't listen to me Hahahaha.:bang head: wasn't trying to condridict myself I forgot to say I got 2005 forks

i believe there are clearance problems on some aftermarket rotors (such as galfer) that aside from countersuck rotor bolt holes would fit. the forks get in the way of those, but actually wouldnt' with older model forks since theres more clearance.

298mm rotors (93-07)
280mm rotors (85-92 and all years rear)
99-03 R1 Rotors also fit but are not counterbored.

Counterbore is only required for 93-07 forks OR you can try and use an even shorter bolt head then the stock low profile bolts. Due to various production tolerances they sometimes fit with no problems.

The larger rotors will fit/clear the early forks (due to the smaller fork legs) but will require adapters like our Hayabusa brackets to work.

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to order from that link Kyle posted. I got my calipers in from ebay but they were a disaster so I need to send them back tomorrow. The good news is everything else on my bike is coming together nicely. I can't wait to post pictures in a few days!

Thanks for the responses! I'm going to order from that link Kyle posted. I got my calipers in from ebay but they were a disaster so I need to send them back tomorrow. The good news is everything else on my bike is coming together nicely. I can't wait to post pictures in a few days!

What color calipers you looking for? I have a used set, black, in very clean and great shape, almost new pads, that I bought for my conversion.
But before I put them on I found a gold set that I used instead.
I also have the brake light sending unit for the GSXR lever system....bought it new and the one I used already had it on there.

Just want my money back plus shipping...I'm in South Florida.
If you want pics send me a message with your e-mail.
Chris

Latest posts

Back