whirling/whining noise

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamster66

Reaction score
Has anyone ever experience a whirling/ whining kinda noise from up front....sounds like the right hand side, when you get on it....say about 6000 rpm?
Its not the fan....even tho it sounds like it.
Could it be the thermostat?
Just started doing it a few weeks ago.
Still runs awesome..... just annoying as hell.
I did change the airbox....bought a different one....mine had a crack in the bottom.
And it IS seated all the way..... (carb boots)

Waylander said:
Yea, that's the Vboost kicking in mate.
hmmm....no, I dont think its the vboost.
Never heard it before.... had the bike for approx. 6 mos b4 I heard it.
You know what a fan, on either a bike or car sounds like if the fan is warped....kind of a bad whirling sound.
But its not the fan.....fan isnt even coming on when its happening.
Got me baffled.... and if I try to lean over to hear where its coming from, I get a bad shake on the front.... scares the shit outta you....lol

Hmm that does sound scarry. Could be something loose that rattles when the engine starts running faster. Might explain why it happens at 6k also. Question is what's loose...

Try running bike in gear on the center stand. Sit on it to make it stable, otherwise it might tip. Try to find someone and have them walk around the bike to pinpoint the noise. I rebuild my water pump gears/seals/bearing last spring, it's about a 2 hour job.

ok guys..... solved it!
not electrical....not waterpump.....anyone wanna guess?
SPEEDO CABLE where it attaches to speedo!
WOW...... kept listening for it....bugged the ^$#@ outta me....well, today I took it out....heard it again.... as I slowed down, it would too.
I leaned forward to listen and "thought " I heard it coming from center of the front.
Started feeling things as it was doing it and touched the speedo.....felt a slight vibration on it, so I wiggled it and the noise changed pitches.
Took it up to speed again, kicked it in neutral, grabbed the speedo and wiggled....yep, you guessed it.
Took it home, took my mini cowl off and turned the cable "qite a few" turns.... the thing was almost all the way unscrewed!
Took it for a spin..... no noise!
WHEW..... what a relief!

Back