Who has experiance with FatMax fat tire setup?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJ RJ RJ

Reaction score
Im almost all done a modified set up using the swing arm from FATMAX...and wanted to see who has used one already to ask a few questions....

WISH I COULD HELP ! BUT MY ONLY EXPERIENCE WITH IT IS , LOOKING AT PICTURES & WISHING I HAD ONE ! :rofl_200:

You should post the pictures you showed us at the bike show.

You should post the pictures you showed us at the bike show.

I most certainly will ! just want it all to be up to standard of the bikes i see here first. Maybe another week.

To be honest i have some reservations about the arm... nothing concrete really just fear of the unknown. I believe its a massive chain inside the transfer case and lubing it is a mystery to me.

Also the breather seems to be below the level of the fluid, which cant be right.

I know Hercules has just installed one before he passes away, but other than him i dont know anyone else who uses this kind of arm.

I most certainly will ! just want it all to be up to standard of the bikes i see here first. Maybe another week.

To be honest i have some reservations about the arm... nothing concrete really just fear of the unknown. I believe its a massive chain inside the transfer case and lubing it is a mystery to me.

Also the breather seems to be below the level of the fluid, which cant be right.

I know Hercules has just installed one before he passes away, but other than him i dont know anyone else who uses this kind of arm.

Any MadMax wide kit I've seen were shaft/gear driven. I've never seen a chain in one.

I just got a chain driven mad max bike in Saturday for transmission work (lot fifth gear). It's got a 280 tire on the rear of it.

Sean

it is a mad max "gear drive" arm... but having looked inside the oil fill hole i have seen what appears to be a very wide chain though i could be wrong....but then again many transfer cases use a chain so it didnt seem surprising to me...especial when you consider two gears would have the shaft dive rotating the wrong way...

Anyway....who here has one? and what is your experience?

We've got one in town here. He's ridden it twice for a total of 20 miles and shelled the gear box out both times. He's now trying to get some custom gears made again. I think the newest version is finally stronger but still not sure it's going to take any kind of power or hard riding.

Sean

We've got one in town here. He's ridden it twice for a total of 20 miles and shelled the gear box out both times. He's now trying to get some custom gears made again. I think the newest version is finally stronger but still not sure it's going to take any kind of power or hard riding.

Sean

Not the resounding vote of confidence i was looking for LOL

...Paul assured me on the phone it would take a beating..even at the drag strip. That would not be nice to turn out to be a lie.

i suppose if worse comes to worse i could gut it and fab up a second ujoint position at the differential flange and have a poor mans otec swingarm.

ANyone else know a guy who has this Mad MAx gear driven swing arm? Good or Bad stories?

Scott Erhardt? VMOA member in FL and Steffan in Sweden (on vmaxchat list and maybe on VMOA list).

I worked quite a bit with Hercules (pics of his bike are still in the members area I think). He was pretty confident that the parts he got were heavier duty then the early stuff. I probably even have pics of the arm before he installed it.

Sean

I worked quite a bit with Hercules (pics of his bike are still in the members area I think). He was pretty confident that the parts he got were heavier duty then the early stuff. I probably even have pics of the arm before he installed it.

Sean

ITs sad about his passing.
You helped install it for him? Did you plumb lines to engine oil or just seal it up with gear oil in there?

I worked via phone and suppling parts. Sorry, I needed to clarify that. He pretty much called me on a daily basis.

Sean

Pics of said arm

Attachments

• Picture194.jpg
    Picture194.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 71
  • Picture199.jpg
    Picture199.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 66
That looks a lot different than the ones I have seen.

Thats exactly the same as the one i own. although mine is not painted or polished.

I have found another gentleman online who had the earlier more fragile version and he rode it for 2 years before converting to a 330 chain drive set up. He had good things to say about it but did say he had the input shaft break at some point, but that later versions of the arm use bigger gears and is much stronger.

Here is my bike so far:

Attachments

• IMG00119.jpg
    IMG00119.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG00122.jpg
    IMG00122.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG00124.jpg
    IMG00124.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 51

Latest posts