Who needs Mikuni carb's?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikuni's4sale

Reaction score
New guy here only stopping thru. Dont beat me up to bad. What i believe I have is a full set (4) Mikuni carbs in the rack (or whatever y'all call it, sorry) and the air box with a K&N filter. When I look up the part number on the air box its coming back to an 04 VMAX, so figured this may be the place to find someone that needs them. I honestly don't know alot about them. I've been trying to figure it out as quickly as I can tho. Being inexperienced with Mikuni i haven't wanted to open them up to find the model numbers if I dont have to. I thought its best to keep the whole setup with the linkage and cables and what not together if possible and y'all might be able to help identify them better if need be. Next step would be to crack em open to see what I've got them split em up and off load em that way. [email protected]

Attachments

• received_315794333058203.jpeg
    received_315794333058203.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 72
New guy here only stopping thru. Dont beat me up to bad. What i believe I have is a full set (4) Mikuni carbs in the rack (or whatever y'all call it, sorry) and the air box with a K&N filter. When I look up the part number on the air box its coming back to an 04 VMAX, so figured this may be the place to find someone that needs them. I honestly don't know alot about them. I've been trying to figure it out as quickly as I can tho. Being inexperienced with Mikuni i haven't wanted to open them up to find the model numbers if I dont have to. I thought its best to keep the whole setup with the linkage and cables and what not together if possible and y'all might be able to help identify them better if need be. Next step would be to crack em open to see what I've got them split em up and off load em that way. [email protected]

How much are you asking for them ? I'm interested .

Measure the throttle body openings. They appear to be 83-85 34mm Venture 1200 carbs with Vmax slide covers on them. The 35mm would be Vmax carbs. BUT, the choke lever that's mounted would be Vmax normally too. I question the bore size due to the machined lip flat width remaining on the castings.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 48
There was a year or two where the VMax carbs had the wide lip.

What are the 3 digits on the underside of the throttle plates.

Any side & top view photos?

I'm not interested but think the guys who are should see a little more of them before buying 'em.

Ok I will measure them again this weekend. A Brother of mine just asked me to sell them for him after cleaning out his garage this past weekend and the only thing I had available was a standard tape. Did the math and seen I was nowhere close enough for the Harley big twins I ride but not satisfied enough with my measurement or math to be within 1mm. I will also check and take pics of anything else suggested. Other than "Mikuni made in Japan" the only numbers I could find is on what I call the butterfly (round plate that opens to allow air in when throttle is cracked) which has some kind of weird symbol in front of what I believe was 125 if I'm remembering correctly. If this is not the plate your referring to plz let me know. I wouldn't mind opening them up if I knew where and what to look for. As far as what I'm asking for them I'm more than happy to hear any offers but knowing there is a pretty damn good chance these are for a VMAX and as hard of a time I'm having trying to find a complete set to get a comparable price I can't just give them away. For the kind of money I'm thinking they should bring I'm sure everyone involved would much rather be 100% on what they are first. I would however be very grateful with any help I can get to identify and or sell them. That gratitude just might be shown with a cheaper price. Lol ain't trying to get rich or screw anybody over here. My Brother and I are gonna be happy with whatever is fair and we would like whoever gets them to be happy with the purchase as well.

If you use a standard tape measure (inches) start measuring from something like the number '3' and see what you get.

The inside measurement should be 1-3/8 inches. Initially, I used a 1/32-inch graduations tape measure. Since an inch is = 25.4 mm, you should be able to use a 1/32 inch tape measure or vernier caliper and get a fairly-exact measure.

A pic over the right-side tape measure mark, 'where it falls,' with a good focus from your cellphone camera, should suffice to show the measurement. If you try to take a pic over the middle of the mouth, you'll get parallax-error. That won't show the exact ending measurement.

My Starrett machinist's ruler starts at 0, at the end of the ruler. If you try to use the end of a traditional tape measure with the 90-degree hook on the end, it won't give as-accurate a reading as-if you measure from the '2-inch' or the '3-inch' hash-mark.

The '125' butterfly plate is correct.

VMax carb to VBoost venturi 35mm 1_3-eighths.jpg

Last edited:
Ok I will measure them again this weekend. A Brother of mine just asked me to sell them for him after cleaning out his garage this past weekend and the only thing I had available was a standard tape. Did the math and seen I was nowhere close enough for the Harley big twins I ride but not satisfied enough with my measurement or math to be within 1mm. I will also check and take pics of anything else suggested. Other than "Mikuni made in Japan" the only numbers I could find is on what I call the butterfly (round plate that opens to allow air in when throttle is cracked) which has some kind of weird symbol in front of what I believe was 125 if I'm remembering correctly. If this is not the plate your referring to plz let me know. I wouldn't mind opening them up if I knew where and what to look for. As far as what I'm asking for them I'm more than happy to hear any offers but knowing there is a pretty damn good chance these are for a VMAX and as hard of a time I'm having trying to find a complete set to get a comparable price I can't just give them away. For the kind of money I'm thinking they should bring I'm sure everyone involved would much rather be 100% on what they are first. I would however be very grateful with any help I can get to identify and or sell them. That gratitude just might be shown with a cheaper price. Lol ain't trying to get rich or screw anybody over here. My Brother and I are gonna be happy with whatever is fair and we would like whoever gets them to be happy with the purchase as well.
So...why didn't you ask your brother what bike they came off?

So...why didn't you ask your brother what bike they came off?
He and his parents are in real-estate and these came from a foreclosure clean out i.e. abandoned property. He just happened to pull up to check out the new listing as his mom was about to toss them. Been sitting in his garage ever since.

I looked back thru my Google search history to were I was doing the standard to metric conversion and see that I started with 1 3/8" and I know I wouldn't have started at the end of the tape for something that needs to be precise. Have been needing an excuse to pickup a set of calipers anyway so no time like the present. Ill also get em cleaned up a bit and take allot more pics this weekend. Im an OTR driver and my time is limited. So ill be checking back here for the different things y'all suggest/ request I take a look at and hopefully the mystery will be solved and they can soon be on the way to someone who needs them. Thanks for everyone's input so far, I really appreciate the help.

If the 125 is correct they are 35mm carbs
And the 04 took the 35mm? And if so did the air box from 04 fit other years as well? When I looked up the number molded on the box (1FK) it just came back as 04. I think it would be odd for it to only be a 1 year design but with different circumstances, guess it could be.

Gen 1 air box the same 1985-2007

1985:

Part #36
Case, Air Cleaner 1

1FK-14411-01-00
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50042683f8700209bc788604/air-cleaner
2007:

Part #35
Case, Air Cleaner 1

1FK-14411-01-00
https://www.ronayers.com/oemparts/a/yam/50045c0ef8700209bc7942f2/intake
All Gen 1 carburetors 1985-2007 are 35 mm & minor jetting changes occurred. Talking USA models (full power). I believe the Canadian models had 5-position needles while the USA models use a 1-position needle.

Believe it was the VBoost manifold and the exhaust header pipes were different for the '85.

Last edited:
They aren't '04 carbs

Run the parts thru a vendor site, crosscheck by year...it'll give you everything you need to know (Fire-medic has graciously done half your work already)

Factoring in the lack of information regarding internal condition, the lack of meaningful photos and knowing it will take $500 - $800 to restore them to decent workable condition I wouldn't go over $100 shipped to NY.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back