Why does my engine pop during warm up?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuboost

Reaction score
Hey guys need some diagnostic help. When i start the bike up in the morning I try not to let it idle to high. I adjust the choke between 1500-2000 when its cold every couple seconds it pops. if i adjust the idle up it stops, when it warms up it stops, if i turn off the enrichment and hold the idle up by the throttle it stops.
2003 model 11k miles stock pipe mod with K&N filter.
Any Ideas? Thanks.

Sounds just like it's a rich, but that what the choke does is make it rich.. More fuel, less air.. I wouldn't worry too much if it stops once warm. Mine used to do it a lot also. Have you had your carbs sync'd lately?

Hey guys need some diagnostic help. When i start the bike up in the morning I try not to let it idle to high. I adjust the choke between 1500-2000 when its cold every couple seconds it pops. if i adjust the idle up it stops, when it warms up it stops, if i turn off the enrichment and hold the idle up by the throttle it stops.
2003 model 11k miles stock pipe mod with K&N filter.
Any Ideas? Thanks.

Mine does this as well if the choke is engaged too far, dial it back and it should minimize or eliminate the exhaust pop. I try to only give it enough choke to keep it running (often none at all) while it warms up. If I leave it at half choke it won't pop until it warms up then it pops every now and then, at that point I shut off the choke and it is smooth as can be.

Basically a pop is telling me it is time to turn down or turn off the choke.

Latest posts

Back