Why is my oil still dirty after changing?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax-jeff

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have a stock '97 max with 49,000 kms on it.

I've changed the oil three times since I bought it (had 36k on it) and each time after changing the oil and the filter within minutes of starting up the oil is dirty again.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Why does this happen? I even changed the oil twice at one time and it still was dirty. Not as bad but not nice clean oil like when I bought it.

Thanks

Jeff

Hi everybody,

I have a stock '97 max with 49,000 kms on it.

I've changed the oil three times since I bought it (had 36k on it) and each time after changing the oil and the filter within minutes of starting up the oil is dirty again.

Can someone shed some light on this for me? Why does this happen? I even changed the oil twice at one time and it still was dirty. Not as bad but not nice clean oil like when I bought it.

Thanks

Jeff

I dont know KMS and to lazy to convert it..

Do you live in a dusty area?
Are you running your bike up to normal engine oil temp and than draining the oil?
Are you giving enough time to allow all the oil to drip out.... (30 mins)
I hope this next question doesnt start a damn oil war :bang head:
Maybe add some seafoam to your oil and run it a couple hundred miles before your next oil change..

By any chance did the oil light start coming on after you changed your oil?

49000 km = 30000 miles

Thanks for the conversion. I was really trying to figure out the mileage between oil changes.

If the bike is running rich it will cause the oil to get dirty also, most likely is from dusty conditions. I would sea foam it, (sea foam in crankcase) run it 200-350 miles and drain it. while the engine is HOT HOT!! allow the oil to drip drain for 30 mins. Refill with new oil... OF YOUR CHOICE..

You can't get all the old oil out with a simple oil change. About 3/4 to a full quart will remain in the engine trapped in various valleys in both the base of the block as well as in the cylinder heads and trans (a big holding area).

I would not worry too much about it.

Sean

Thanks for the replies.

I do warm it up to operating temp and let it drain for 30 minutes or more. I live on vancouver island so no it's not dusty here, we get too much rain, and no the oil light only comes on during heavy acceleration which is normal. Ok, I could use seafoam or some other flushing product or not worry about it too much and change the oil more often.

Thanks

Jeff

Hey Jeff, within 500 to 1,000 km's the oil will appear dirty although it's just colour. It's normal. Change your oil every 3,000 kms (dino) or 5,000 kms (synthetic) and enjoy the time in between.

Trevor

If the oil is getting dark then you know its doing its job. The oil doesn't just lubricate the inside of the engine, it also cleans it. It is supposed to remove carbon and contaminates among other things. Oil has detergents in it to do the job. Its not a huge deal for it to get dirty like that. If you want it cleaner then you will have to do multiple oil changes to get whats left of the old oil out and then you can change it more often to keep it clean.

Seans hitting on the main reason, you can't get all the old oil out, it's trapped in the heads and tranny.....

If this really bothers you buy about 4 gallons of cheap oil and change it 4 times in one day and it'll dilute the oil enough to put in good oil and fresh filter and stay clean for a little while........Not something I'd bother doing tho'''

I change mine about every 1000 miles

Back