Why no Vance & Hines pipe for Vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They made a set of slip-ons years ago if I remember right??

Sean

I've seen old pics of the slip ons. I've run V&H pipes on my last 4 bikes and was looking forward to adding a fifth. For one of the longest production performance bikes ever made I was surprised that only one major exhaust company (Kerker) made a full system. With all due respect to Marks pipe, Dale Walker, Hinkle and UFO. I've seen some funky pipes on some of those
Euro bikes..........

Yankee

Attachments

• n6.pdf
    805.8 KB · Views: 31
Yea, too busy with the sportbike market and their racing series stuff.
Sean

They made them. I've got a full set on my '86.

I don't know how long ago V&H quit making them, but I know when I lost a baffle, I was shit out of luck getting one from V&H.
Performance wise, they're somewhat restrictive. The weight difference and sound are why I took the stock ones off. (They do sound great) and weigh next to nothing.

Full header or just the slip-ons we already discussed? Pic?

full headers. I'll dig the camera up and shoot 'em in just a few minutes.

I know she's filthy. I don't want to hear it.:biglaugh:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
and two more.

Attachments

• DSC00879.jpg
    DSC00879.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC00880.jpg
    DSC00880.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 66
That sucker has seen some better days for sure. Looks much like a kerker (but there isn't that much difference on any of them anyway). Wonder how it all comes together in the rear section and the OD of the piping (to get an idea of the ID).

Sean

I don't know what the hell I did with my mic. I'll find it in a little while and post up the numbers. They're not quite as beat up as they look. Just filthy from sitting in my front room for a year. (I'll be seeing you for a transmission when I get the money up)
http://www.vmaxforum.net/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=336 from the garage when it was clean. This may be a better visual of what they look like on the bike.

First dyno with stock jets and baffles was right at 100hp. Then I lost a baffle on the freeway and it got run over. I modified some Cobra baffles from the bone yard and it dropped my next dyno down to 70hp. Way rich. Rejetted to 147s and I'm back up to good power, but haven't dyno'd it again since 2nd gear got wasted.
They ARE restrictive.
The closest baffles from V&H that I could find were from the "megaphone" line, and they didn't fit.

Kerker would be a better choice, but I like the 4-2 better than the 4-1 and I kept the rear stand.

Last edited:
Might have to fab up some custom mufflers like we have done before (see pics of "Brads Big Guns").

Sean

full headers. I'll dig the camera up and shoot 'em in just a few minutes.

I know she's filthy. I don't want to hear it.:biglaugh:

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info. 4/1 or 4/2 ? Did you buy the pipe or was it already on the bike? I wonder why we haven't seen more of them??? The logo is similair to the one I had on my Ninja so we're probably in the 1985-88 time frame.

Yankee

Attachments

• n6.pdf
    805.8 KB · Views: 1
4-2 They came with the bike but weren't mounted. The tag looks like the old SS pipes from my Seca. I'd say mid 80's era.
I think they had been mounted before, but the power drop probably led to putting the stock ones back on. That's where I showed up to rescue her from a lawnmower shed complete with mice in the seat.

V&H knew nothing about them. Being so old, the few people I tried talking to about a set of baffles didn't know anything. (I'd imagine the bike is older than most of the kids answering the phone anyway).

Still can't find my calipers, so I wrapped them with a piece of string and came out to 6" circumference, and a tape measure held beside them looked like about 1 3/4" to just under 2".
All four headers are the same size.

I wiped some of the crud off of the emblem so that it shows up a little better.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 40
Setup just like Walkers... Front to rear same side with no crossover. Dales flow a ton though. Must be the baffles.

Chris

not sure but i bet if u bought some marks could make headers to match.

I'm sure Mark's can do it but it shouldn't be all that hard to make the midpipe and custom mounting brackets. Still takes time to get it done though.
Sean

Mark can't do any changes as he's sold his gen 1. He now only builds his current 4-2 and 4-1.

Chris

Latest posts

Back