Why remove the y

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnlee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sold my 2019 and went back to the Gen 1, a bike I will always love. This is my 4th Gen 1 and I always was told don't remove the y. This bike has the Kerker slip on 4-1, a fan switch,cop's,K7N filter in the original air box and the y is missing. I bought it from a young man,I am 62,and he was the second owner who did not know much about the bike. Today I unplugged the v-boost , which i always do and it came alive a bit. Do you think I should get a y or run it as is? What difference will it make? Thanks guys for your help.

Attachments

• 20220222_152149.jpg
    20220222_152149.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 16
When doing this on a stock bike, you lose intake velocity and will run lean everywhere. Unplugging vboost can richen...depends on the changes in atomization as it's less consistent at low to mid range. It's fun but it's just over carburation and you get quick accel at small throttle openings but WOT suffers at mid range and lower.

I removed my "Y" on my '89 years ago and it ran better. That was before I knew anything and later found that the PO had 170 main jets and air correctors in there. My guess is he went back to stock half-ass before he traded it in.

Mark

I sold my 2019 and went back to the Gen 1, a bike I will always love. This is my 4th Gen 1 and I always was told don't remove the y. This bike has the Kerker slip on 4-1, a fan switch,cop's,K7N filter in the original air box and the y is missing. I bought it from a young man,I am 62,and he was the second owner who did not know much about the bike. Today I unplugged the v-boost , which i always do and it came alive a bit. Do you think I should get a y or run it as is? What difference will it make? Thanks guys for your help.
What are you referring to by "Y"? intake? exhaust? just curious

Thank you Sean, yes I woulkd like one. With the Kerker slip on do you think it wise to install Stage 7 with K7N filters and puke box? I had a 96 with that and the original UFO full exhaust and man what a ride.
Do not install any jet kit with slip-ons only.

Back