Why so few riding stories?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I visit a number of m/c message boards, including some dedicated to a certain bike/manufacturer.

This board seems different, though, and I just wondered why?

The other bike-specific boards I visit, there is considerably more bandwidth devoted to discussing rides/trips/pictures, etc. than there is here. The VMax boards I read are largely devoted to merely discussing the nuts and bolts, will relatively little discussion devoted to the fun of riding the Max.

Why do you think that is? The tech discussions on a 20+ year old design have, many times, been hashed and rehashed, but what happens to the community's members is always in flux - yet we don't spend a lot of time talking it up.

It just seems strange to me, considering just how much fun riding a VMax is.

Alright, your thoughts - or just tell the noob to shutup. :bicycle:

I think it is because even the mechanics at the yamaha shops do not know what they are doing when it comes to working on vmax's.Start having trouble with yours and you will see why.Specially if you start having carb troubles.

shawn kloker said:
I think it is because even the mechanics at the yamaha shops do not know what they are doing when it comes to working on vmax's.Start having trouble with yours and you will see why.Specially if you start having carb troubles.
Every forum has its tech discussions. Maybe I just didn't phrase the issue correctly. It's more just the absense of riding stories on the VMax forums that is different. I can understand the tech discussions, in fact I have participated in those here, too. Just seemed kind of odd to me, that's all.

Maybe it's just because we're a bunch of old farts here. ;)

Too bad that you couldn't come and ride with me,I'd show you what an old fart I am.Most everybody I know will not ride with me unless they get to lead.No one can keep up even when I take it easy.I am lucky to have a few vmax friends close enough to ride ocasionally.Alot of my vmax friends live too far away to see very often.Thats why rallies like Thunder in the valley are so cool to go to.Its nice to put faces to the people you talk with all the time.

Hey, I resemble that remark. I do find it strange that so many of the maxers are middle aged, and some even a bit more. Before the Max, my ride was a 1970 Honda CB750 which I bought new in 1969 and kept for over 30 years. Great bike and very dependable but I never had this urge to go riding all the time like I do on the Max. Got lost in the hills the other day and the road kept getting narrower until it stopped altogether. Turned back and found another artery that looked pretty good and went at a good clip until it also ended in gravel and a steep drop into the river below. Trying a turnaround on such a grade and with the gravel under foot was more excitement that I was looking for with loose gravel underfoot. Moments like this makes the Max feel heavy like a Goldwing. Did manage to ride it back up the incline without mishap. The place looked like some of the scenes in "Deliverance". Funny what you can find close to home if you look hard enough. Was more concerned with running into a few tattered shotgun toting boys than anything else. Had a few dogs on my tail too making sure I would find the way out. Was good to get back to civilization with no return planned in the near future.

shawn kloker said:
Too bad that you couldn't come and ride with me,I'd show you what an old fart I am.Most everybody I know will not ride with me unless they get to lead.No one can keep up even when I take it easy.I am lucky to have a few vmax friends close enough to ride ocasionally.Alot of my vmax friends live too far away to see very often.Thats why rallies like Thunder in the valley are so cool to go to.Its nice to put faces to the people you talk with all the time.
I'm pretty sure if I rode with you, you'd have to pull over and have lunch to wait for me to catch up.

I hope you know I'm just kidding around with you. I appreciate this forum a lot, and think you all do a great job.

I would be happy, upon request, to share my stories of goading soccer moms and dads into trying to beat me away from stoplights here in Plano. Exciting stuff. ;) Heck, maybe I'll drive my bike to the Million Dollar Saloon and get a few pics with the girls...that's about all there is exciting to do here without traveling. *sigh*

mikemax04 said:
Hey, I resemble that remark. I do find it strange that so many of the maxers are middle aged, and some even a bit more.
I wonder if that will change if/when a 'new' VMax is released. It's possible the demographics for owners will change a bit, and also the populations on VMax message boards.

IIRC, the R1 forum I read occasionally has 60,000 or so members and is quite active.

I would like to see yamaha's actual production numbers but I am guessing it was only about 2000 a year here in the states.So 21 years(42000 bikes)?There are not alot of them around.I know of a few that are like new and never ridden around here.It seems that many are afraid to ride them at all or they have been beaten to shit.

Shawn, I have trouble getting the locals to ride. It has to be perfect weather. Plus, most have stuff going on with their kids.

shawn kloker said:
I would like to see yamaha's actual production numbers but I am guessing it was only about 2000 a year here in the states.So 21 years(42000 bikes)?There are not alot of them around.I know of a few that are like new and never ridden around here.It seems that many are afraid to ride them at all or they have been beaten to shit.

I've tried several times to find info on line about V-max production numbers and have never had any luck...
Any one have a source....

Jayhawk said:
I visit a number of m/c message boards, including some dedicated to a certain bike/manufacturer.

This board seems different, though, and I just wondered why?

The other bike-specific boards I visit, there is considerably more bandwidth devoted to discussing rides/trips/pictures, etc. than there is here. The VMax boards I read are largely devoted to merely discussing the nuts and bolts, will relatively little discussion devoted to the fun of riding the Max.

Why do you think that is? The tech discussions on a 20+ year old design have, many times, been hashed and rehashed, but what happens to the community's members is always in flux - yet we don't spend a lot of time talking it up.

It just seems strange to me, considering just how much fun riding a VMax is.

Alright, your thoughts - or just tell the noob to shutup. :bicycle:

I agree there isn't many stories but mostly tech talk. Sometimes it comes down to continually tweaking on the VMax so there is no time to ride it! LOL. I used to ride a lot more when I rode to work every day with stories of mostly kicking off mirrors of cagers trying to kill me. But I have to use my car as a service vehicle so I don't get to ride as much. But don't let that stop you from telling us your riding stories. You may be able to get the ball rolling and others will start posting. Most ride pictures that people have can be found in the Gallery.

I ride all day long at work, but its all surface streets in heavy traffic, I would say 95% of Los Angeles drivers are on phones, checking emails,
making 3 way conference calls. riding becomes intense dodging all these distracted drivers, electronic gadgets are making people constantly distracted while driving.
Its a lot of fun to ride as part of my work though by the end of the day I am beat.
every now and then I go to the canyons less than 10 miles away to just clear my head from all the crowded roads I ride every day.
drivers here are use to bikes zipping by between cars and make room for us to pass, they care less, they are on the phone and don't want to hear the noise of the bike.I really can't imagine riding without lane sharing & filtering I think its more dangerous when you are at the mercy of the car driver behind you to stop in time and not hit you.
________
iolite vaporizer

Last edited:
mikemax04 said:
I do find it strange that so many of the maxers are middle aged, and some even a bit more. .

Hi there, I am 62 years old and I just bought my 26th m/cycle, a 99 V-Max, and love it. Not ready to give it up yet.:eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:

Welcome to the dark side:coolgleamA: its a nice bike to own, enjoy every bit of it .

broook said:
Hi there, I am 62 years old and I just bought my 26th m/cycle, a 99 V-Max, and love it. Not ready to give it up yet.:eusa_dance: :eusa_dance: :eusa_dance:
________
weed vaporizers

Last edited:
broook said:
Welcome aboard broook. It's young fellows like you that can tell some real hair raising tales on two wheels. Some of us never get too old for that "need for speed" feeling and the power that comes with it. Enjoy your stay and don't be a stranger.

Oh the stop lights..........great way to meet, I mean, beat cagers. Most all the other riders I see infrequently around my little town in SW Missouri are 16 or 17 yr olds on cafe bikes that must have promised daddy they wouldn't go over 40mph.

Not much fun to cruise around town here, but it is only an hour or less away from the Ozark mountain country. There are plenty of back county and state highways to choose from for a curvy ride....cept the darn wife on her Kaw 500 puts way too much store in the little yellow curve signs with "suggested" mph printed on them. I can't seem to convince her those are put there for little old ladies over 90 that can't see them anyway. I always say that if the sign reads 40, you should take 100mph and subtract the 40mph for a MINIMUM speed of 60mph for the corner. She doesn't buy that interpretation though, so I spend most of my rides lately under the posted speed limit while fellow bikers of all makes overtake and then pass us. My fingernails are chewed down to bloody stubs accordingly.

We got away from town the last weekend of September to attend the Bikes, Blues, and BBQs rally in downtown Fayetteville, Arkansas. It's only a 75 mile ride. According to the paper, there were over 330,000 people and over 100,000 bikes in attendence. I managed to get a glimpse of only two or three other maxes at the event. We will try to attend each year from now on.

Anybody else ever hear of the BBB event? In its 6th year, and already that many people.

I head about the BBB this year from a buddy of mine that lives on the arkansas/missery boarder. Didn't find out about it in time to try and plan a trip though. Maybe next year.

mikemax04 said:
Welcome aboard broook. It's young fellows like you that can tell some real hair raising tales on two wheels. r.

I wish I still had some hair to raise.

Thanks for the welcome guys.:wink2:

broook said:
I wish I still had some hair to raise.

Thanks for the welcome guys.:wink2:
That's what happens when you break that 130+mph with no helmet on. Those follicles just don't stand a chance. Hair today, gone tomorrow. Look at it this way. Loss of hair comes with maturity and if you look close enough, you'll see it appear in different places like your ears, nose and eyebrows. That's to keep the bugs out of your eyes, ears and nose. We have a lot of unnecessary information available with a smile, just for the asking. Don't forget your humor when dropping in. :eek:hyeah00:

Latest posts

Back