WHY the FJR1300?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffee_brake

Reaction score
Seems a lot of master cylinders have a 14mm bore. Why is the FJR1300 the replacement of choice?

Would any master cylinder with a 14mm bore offer the same braking improvement? Like this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120528476004&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Because my brakes (in as good condition as they could possibly be for their age) feel wooden. I think dragging my boots would do more good.
FJR1300 MC is expensive, but there are others that measure the same.

Mirror and reservoir logistics aside, will any 14mm bore MC do as well as the FJR1300?
What size bore is the stock Vmax MC?

I believe the stock is 5/8th on the max (it is on the bottom of the bore if you look on yours). Pretty much any of them with the 14mm will do the same thing. The reason the FJR is popular is due to the mirror mount already on there.

Sean

Ours is 5/8s. You can use a 14mm off any sport bike but they have the plastic remote reservoir unlike the one on our VMax or a FJR1300 and no mirror mount. So the FJR is a popular replacement as it looks the same, is 14mm, you get an adjustable lever and a mirror mount.

CAREFUL!!
The only year the FJR Front brake masters are 14mm is '03.
The clutch masters are 14mm on years '03-'05

In '04 they bumped the front brake masters up to 15mm.
If the bike has ABS they will be 16mm.

FYI

16mm=0.629"
5/8"=0.625"
14mm=0.551"

03' thru 05' all have the same bore diameter in the clutch master. 14mm
03' is the ONLY year the FJR had a front brake master with 14mm bore
04'-05' FJR front brake masters are 15mm
04'-05' FJR front brake masters for ABS equipped bikes are 16mm.

Basically, the front brake master from a newer FJR with ABS will feel the same as the vmax master but it give an adjustable lever.

I do have a pair of FJR masters with adjustable levers available. The clutch is 14mm so it will pull in easier (great for DD or those with hand issues) but engage further out from the bars. The brake is 16mm so it won't really make much difference other than give an adjustable lever.

I just installed one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I found the quality of the casting, hardware and seals to be just fine. It's natural aluminum colored so it doesn't match the clutch but it doesn't look bad, either. I had a set of Honda mirrors lying around as this MC has right-handed threads. With the stock Yamaha on the left side, it takes Honda mirrors without adaptation.
I haven't got braided stainless lines yet but the improvement in braking is marked.

The improvement in braking feel is not, but I think the stainless lines will offer that.

Just playing around with it yesterday, I did lock up the front for the first time, which is not a measure of braking power, but definately tells me it takes less effort than before to bring it to lockup.

So, for $50 I got a new MC with the 14mm piston that makes the bike stop better. Only time will tell as regards the quality of the part, and again the MC doesn't match the clutch side, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.

I just installed one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I found the quality of the casting, hardware and seals to be just fine. It's natural aluminum colored so it doesn't match the clutch but it doesn't look bad, either. I had a set of Honda mirrors lying around as this MC has right-handed threads. With the stock Yamaha on the left side, it takes Honda mirrors without adaptation.
I haven't got braided stainless lines yet but the improvement in braking is marked.

The improvement in braking feel is not, but I think the stainless lines will offer that.

Just playing around with it yesterday, I did lock up the front for the first time, which is not a measure of braking power, but definately tells me it takes less effort than before to bring it to lockup.

So, for $50 I got a new MC with the 14mm piston that makes the bike stop better. Only time will tell as regards the quality of the part, and again the MC doesn't match the clutch side, but I'm pretty happy with it overall.
I'm glad that you have a front brake master that gives you the power you were looking for. I clicked on the link but it had expired, what model did it come from?

Overall this looks nice, but my only issue would be if you needed to replace some of the parts, where would you get them? If you swapped the brake master out, what are you doing with the clutch side? You'll look a bit out of sync with two different cylinders on your bars.

Yes the cylinders don't match. I'm not concerned enough about it to do anything more than paint the top of this new one black. It does not have the anodized finish on it, but instead is raw aluminum alloy so it should take paint (or powercoat) easily.
My camera's a POS but I'll try to get a video of it.
The MC came with the brake light switch and lever. It's not adjustable but is very similar in action to the stock unit.

I'm sure this MC is basically a re-cast from a Maxim. I'm willing to bet that a MC rebuild kit for the Maxim would fit this. In any case, it should be years before I need to rebuild the MC, and for $50 I still think it's a good choice on my budget.

Back