Wide World of Sports TT race ASCOT 1970

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
A fantastic 28 minute video from one of the few TV shows which gave motorcycle competition media exposure, Wide World of Sports. Thanks to Jim McKay and his co-workers, for their motorcycle competition coverage.

They preface the broadcast with a retrospective of how motorcycling has changed in the last ten years, (that would be from ~1960 to 1970) including stills from The Wild Ones (1953), moving forward to Easy Rider (1969), and then interviews with noted riders of the day, a helmet-cam segment on a dirt track by Bruce Brown (yes, he of On Any Sunday (1971), and this was filmed before the movie was released), and much, much more. Seeing these famous riders on the track is a lot of fun, these are the guys whose racing I followed, reading Cycle News, and the magazines of the day, like Cycle, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Cycle Guide, and others.

Yes, the picture isn't the digital quality we've come to enjoy, but the content was for me, what made my viewing such a pleasure. If you like vintage competition, was riding then or perhaps were a competitor in the era, this will likely be a source of enjoyment for you.

"Make motorcycling great again!"

Last edited:
Back