Wind ,blowing Bike

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russmadmax1

Reaction score
HI, I HAVE ASKED SEVERAL BIKERS, THIS,
WHEN RIDING MY MAX, AND THE WIND HIT'S ME FROM THE SIDE'S, I AND THE BIKE MOVE SOMETIMES SO FAR, I'M IN THE LANE NEXT TO ME.
DANGEROUS FOR SURE.
I HAVE A 17" 190 REAR , MY RIM'S ARE ALMOST SOLID, THEY DO HAVE SLOT'S. BUT LONG 6" BY 1".
I WAS TOLD THAT IF I WENT TO A WIDE OPEN RIM, example 3spoke,
THIS WOULDN'T BE A ISSUE.
AND
I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD, THAT ALL CRUISERS DO IT.
MY SPORT BIKE DOESN'T DO IT.
BUT LOOKING AT the sport bike ,IT DOES HAVE WIDE OPEN RIM'S.
3 SPOKE type rim.
please help, any into, large or small.
it might not be the rim,
who know's,
it could be many thing's.
how can i fix this?
i hate to get rid of this bike, due to the issue.
or never buy any cruiser again.
because other bikers (harley guy's) told me to get used to it.
all cruisers do it.
my bike has been in for service all is o.k.
concerned, please help fix my serious concern,
save my life.
regards,
russmadmax1
here is my email, [email protected]
:ummm:

its a thing you have to deal with....wind was wicked ass bad today...... just HTFO and go....lol.

I would think that at any type of highway speed that the envelope created by the bike would not be penetrated by crosswinds, meaning that total cross section in profile is all that matters.

I could be wrong..

But I don't think I am...

Meh just gotta deal with it but keep it in mind. Sucks when you're compensating for the wind nd then suddenly it stops.

Or you could ride so fast that no metter how hard the wind is blowing it only hits you head on.:whistlin:

I don't believe any 1 type of bike is more prone to this than other bikes. While wheels that are solid present more of a "wall effect", I think it is pretty small compared to the "wall effect" the full fairing creates from the side of a SS bike. I have owned or still owned SS, sport touring, cruisers, naked and dual sport bikes and they have all, at one time or another been a victim of a side wind. Consider your riding position on the bike too. On a sport bike, you are in a more bent over aggressive riding position which presents less of the "wall effect" than a cruiser where you are sitting in an upright position. This can be changed with some straight bars and some rear sets. I don't think the wheels really contribute much to the problem you describe though, IMO.

I had the same problem when i first bought my max. As you get more comfortable on the bike you wont notice it near as much. I find that it actually helps to speed up, seems to be the worst from 50-65 mph for me anyways, i usually cruise at 75

MY brothers girlfriend bought herself KR150 and I was asked to follow her back home the other day. Hour and a half ride through some flat plains nd the wind got pretty strong. I'll tell you my heavy bike does better than her light as one.

She kept getting blown all over the road and I just stayed put. We were doing about 100kmh (speed limit here, sucks)

So it's not just cruisers that get it, infact I always thought cruisers were better for resisting the wind from being so heavy compared to sportbikes.

I was cruising with a friend of mine the other day on a six-lane freeway here in Dallas. He rides a Honda CBR. We were rolling along at 70-75 mph in moderate traffic, and it was a typical spring day here in Texas - moderate winds, and a few gusts, plus the turbulence from traffic in adjacent lanes.

The thing I noticed, was that I was getting bounced around a bit, nothing dangerous, but I was definitely feeling the wind and had to pay attention.

My friend, OTOH, was cruising along on his CBR with his right hand on the bars and his left hand comfortably on his lap. Looked like his bike was on a rail.

exactly, my sport bike, is the same.
straight as a arrow.
sadly with the extra i put into this VMAX, more than doubleing the value,
with after market parts from u.s. ,canada, u.k. germany, and custom fab parts, etc.
i could have bought 2 bike's.
it sure isn't your normal vmax.
and
it sure looks and sounds pretty.
also looks aggressive, and fast.
everyone goes crazy when they see it.
especially at traffic light's.
just wish, i would have gotten a easy fix, to solve the wind issue.
saddly it just might have to go.
sorry vmax guy's,
not willing to die, to ride a cruiser. it's my 1st and last for sure.
PUSHING 50YRS OLD & nothing but sport bike's for me.
at least if i die, it will be doing 180+ in a straight line.

not 45mph,and end up in someone's else's lane, blown there by gust's of wind ,riding a monster cruiser.
again, i only wished it was a easy fix, but it's not. it's a cruiser. :-:)confused2:

to me it is an easy fix. But if you've been riding a different style of bike for many years, it can be a lot harder to learn to compensate the weight difference and aerodynamic differences.

It different for all kinds of folks and some just fall in the catagory of "it's just not for me". Nothing wrong with it, just a fact of life.

It's sad to see that you might give it up all together, but like they say, ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Any thoughts to maybe just riding when it's not supposed to be so windy, or are you finding that even light wind is causing you a problem?

hi, thanks for for thought's.
it's the gust's of wind's, that do it.
nothing cruising along,
and
all of a sudden, it feel's like someone hit me from the side.
hard enough to move the bike 2' 3' 4' feet. to the left and to the right.
i've been riding since the early 80's.
i can handle the throw, even with 1 hand on the bike.
don't misunderstand me,
it's not the throw that barther's me.
it 's that the bike move's so much.
the leaning of the bike is huge.
picture going straight and the bike looks like it's in sharp turn's at 80mph.
left -right-left-right.
so than i use both hands.
and
continue on.
fighting the gust's until it pass's
or
i move into a differnet area, where the gust's are less.

i have gone home, switched bike's and went back to that area
and
like majic nothing.
the sport bike doesn't move.
i still feel the wind.
slamming against my side's:
but the bike remains straight as a arrow.
my vmax, is lowered, the seat is a lowered ufo,
r1 caliper's and rotor set up, 17" rear rim with a 190. and the front is a 18".
and i even tried to lay my body, contour it to the bike. still happens.
i though if i spent 2 or 3g's more on wide open thin 3spoke rims, and had them installed ,my problem would be over.
or
maybe you die hard vmax guy's would know, since this bike is 20+ years old. someone would have addressed this issue at 1 time or another though out the years.

my bike's never seen the rain, but now i have to also check the weather for windy day's too.
check the wind, before i ride, i would have laughed at someone if they ever told me that. funny now it's me.

my only hope is other's get enlightened to this.
and
maybe it might make someone well aware of this , when riding on a gusty ,windy day or night.
keep the pretty side up,
russmadmax1:smileystooges:

hi, i'm about 5'7"
and
about 175 lbs.
so that's not it.

i also have frame brace's.

gee i even thought my frame might be cracked.
no thats not it.
the gust's i'm talking about here are not your normal 5 to10mph gust's.

i'm talking 25 to 35mph gust's.
i live in florida, and we have hurrican'es , tropical storms, etc. so i kind of know the approxiamte speed of the gust's, by the feel ofthem.

i have been outside in the hurricane, to see for myself the effect's.
crazy i know. but i guess we all have a skrew or 2 loose.
at least i'm more than willing to admit it. LOL
thanks,
russ

hi, i'm about 5'7"
and
about 175 lbs.
so that's not it.

i also have frame brace's.

gee i even thought my frame might be cracked.
no thats not it.
the gust's i'm talking about here are not your normal 5 to10mph gust's.

i'm talking 25 to 35mph gust's.
i live in florida, and we have hurrican'es , tropical storms, etc. so i kind of know the approxiamte speed of the gust's, by the feel ofthem.

i have been outside in the hurricane, to see for myself the effect's.
crazy i know. but i guess we all have a skrew or 2 loose.
at least i'm more than willing to admit it. LOL
thanks,
russ
hurricane....that'll do it....lol
seriously....dont give up on the max til you get a chance to enjoy it!
(and if it pisses you off too much....send it up to me...I'll ride it....lol)

I live in Florida also, and I have rode on a few windy days. I have a new 06 Max with Stock wheels and tires. And even in the hard gusts, yeah the Max moves left or right, but not 2 or 3 feet. I find you just have to be alert when it's windy, Went into a curve and the wind was pushing on me so I had to lean hard to get it to lean over, then the wind stopped and boy did I wake Up QUICK! LOL! BUt even as a newbie rider, I don't consider it a life threatening thing. Just Learned I gotta pay attention when the wind is blowing and or gusting and adjust for it.
I'm thinking the lowered bike you have is probably the cause of your Max moving 3 or 4 feet.
But I'm a newb, so I'm probably wrong on that.

One day at the end of last year, there was a storm moving in while I was riding home. Well I can't say it was moving me 2-3 feet, but I decided to take the back way home instead of the freeway. I was lucky to have clicked out 8-9 hundred Kms on the bike, but the movement was enough to shy me away from it...02cents

I've been caught in a badass thunderstorm in Houston where the wind gusts were 40-60 mph directly from the side. It was the scariest ride of my life but I was even more scared to slow down enough to stop and risk getting completely blown over.

I still managed to stay in my lane but it was a real bitch...

hello again,
i do have a mini tinted windshield, like most have.
but no faring.
where do you buy faring for this bike.
i never seen any.
and
i spent alot for engine dress up.
velocity stacks,
knee braces,
frame braces,
polished caps,
chrome covers,
polished nos bottle's 2 on each side, total (4), & polished bracket's
and
braded hoses,
polished flame and skull radiator cover,
flamed air intake's,
that's just off the top of my head, i would have to go and look for other items.
i also have a euro tail, side covers and front fender from exactrep.
polished vmax brake res covers, skull mirror's.
never mind all the promformance engine work, that was done.
and believe me, i forgot a ton more stuff.
SO TO COVER with faring would be a sin!
i have to call someone today, to discuss other options.
I MIGHT TRY NEW RIM'S,
AND
A LARGE GRANDPA WINDSHIELD. LOL
I REALLY LOVE THIS BIKE,
TALK ABOUT STANDING OUT,!
:)
I DO FOR SURE.
AND
LOVE EVERY MINUTE OF IT.
IT'S A FUN BIKE FOR SURE.
99 OUT OF 100 PEOPLE STOP AND ASK HE WHAT IS IT.
OR WHEN GOING 70 MPH ON THE HIGHWAY, AND A GUY WOULD PULL UP NEXT TO ME,
SMILING AND I CAN READ HIS /HER LIPS ,
BEAUTIFUL, NICE BIKE, YOUR CRAZY, SWEET, ETC.
JUST TO NAME A FEW.
i haven't given up yet, much to much invested.
i had my sporty out yesterday, it cut through the wind like a knife.
when i got home, i said to myself, wow that was a fun ride.
when i returned home, the bike was tired for sure. :)
thankyou all for trying to help me, my hope is it does help all of us, a little, maybe we all can learn something here. :rocket bike: :cheers: :rocket bike: :bang head:

Russ,You should post pics of your bike in the garage.I'd like to see the 4 nitrous bottles.I plan on putting one 2lb bottle on the back of the sissy bar or grab rail when I go to nitrous.

Back