wind shield (mini screen)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALAN HALL

Reaction score
I'm looking at buying a oem mini screen for my bike and was wondering if it will fit since I have blackout billet turn signals and drag bars.
Buy the way I'm new to the forum and new vmoa member #4522.Don't have any pictures yet,but I'm working on that as we speak.

I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't fit. The mini sheild doesn't really get anywhere near the bars, even with drags I don't think it will be anywhere close.

The stock turns work with the screen so any aftermarket turns pretty much should as well. I have the mini screen on mine so here is a pic to give you a better idea. It's not a great pic, I'll see if I can get a much better one when I get home today.

P3080016.sized.jpg

Thanks, not too often do you find someone that knows what they are.

Check back later tonight as I'll definitly be taking a better pic of the minisheild from the riders perspective. That should gave you what your looking for.

The little cowl fairing is gunna be my next purchase for my Max. The case guards was definately worth being first. Mucho more comfy on longer trips. I'm afraid after I get the shield, I wont keep it under the speed limit anymore... :smoke000:

Redux, that thing is basicly for looks, doesn't really do much, less you are a bit shorter anyway. I'm right at 6' and I'm head and shoulders above the mini-sheild.

However, I've found the best speed limiting option out there. Teach your wife to ride a slower bike. I'm suddenly getting 120 miles on the trip before the fuel light comes on.:eusa_dance:

Lol...

I am pretty short. I have good history with small screens. Looks, first of all. The Small OEM cowl screen is only one I've seen that I would put on my Max.

Secondly, the size seems about perfect. I had a Valkyrie with (and without) a small screen very close to the Max one. It took the wind pressure off my chest. Just enough to make a difference but not enough to feel isolated from the environment.

I "test rode" a buddy's Max for several weeks, It had the small screen on it and I felt the difference. I'll be getting one.

Very sorry I didn't get a pic up lastnight. On the way home from work some big-rig hauling a giant backhoe less loose a dirt clod on the highway and showered me with chunks and dust. I got something in my eye (even though I wear a full face w/visior and glasses.

So it was everything I could do to get home. Lastnight was miserable and today is no different. Seems no ammount of flushing or tucking my lower eyelid under the upper is working. I'll get that pic as soon as I can use both eye's again.

Redux, I must agree that the OEM mini sheild is the only one I'd put on my bike as well. As far as looks go, it looks like it belongs there. An like I said, if you a bit shorter, it prollie does exactly what you want. It actually does work to a point for me. It deflects the wind right into my lower helmet vent. Which is generally welcome, save for when there are dirt-clod bits in the air :(

Thanks for the help,I ordered one from the local Yamaha dealership.If anyone is looking to get one in the future,check out the dealership before going to Ebay.Got mine for $96.+tax.Couldn't find one on ebay for that if you factor in the shipping,and you know what you're getting when you buy it new.

I got the small cowl put on today, and took it for a test ride tonight. I'm only 5' 10", and it was apparent the pressure on my chest was relieved, and if I had to guess, the pressure is now directed right at my helmet vents.

I also noticed that wind noise is much more pronounced, even when ducking down behind the shield. There appears to be plenty of low-frequency rumbles down behind the shield (in the chest area), hence the increased noise.

Time to get started wearing earplugs, anyway. This is a good excuse to get on with it. I do look forward to seeing how, if at all, the cowl impacts a spirited blast on the highway.

Jayhawk said:
I got the small cowl put on today, and took it for a test ride tonight. I'm only 5' 10", and it was apparent the pressure on my chest was relieved, and if I had to guess, the pressure is now directed right at my helmet vents.

I also noticed that wind noise is much more pronounced, even when ducking down behind the shield. There appears to be plenty of low-frequency rumbles down behind the shield (in the chest area), hence the increased noise.

Time to get started wearing earplugs, anyway. This is a good excuse to get on with it. I do look forward to seeing how, if at all, the cowl impacts a spirited blast on the highway.
I bought one and I LOVE it!
I noticed a big difference in wind.

I noticed mine weaved a hell of a lot more with it on at highway speeds, but when I took it off the wind blast was brutal.

I've been seriously thinking about mini screen, But can it cause the bike to weave?
I've noticed some weaving while experimenting with fat rear tires and low profile front tires,
My unscientific guess is that pitching the weight of the bike forward can cause the rear to weave? I also noticed that a wider than stock handle bar makes the rear weave, after I replaced it with a narrower bar the weave has greatly diminished?

What causes this weave? anyone with a more scientific explanation?
except you! :) Not you:)

turbostang said:
I noticed mine weaved a hell of a lot more with it on at highway speeds, but when I took it off the wind blast was brutal.
________
roor bong pictures

Last edited:
I have a full size windshield that is ugly but makes long trips a breeze.
The minishield I leave on all the time though cause I take the big one off when arouund town and stuff....

The difference between no shield and the factory minishield is like night and day for me...
The small one does not stop wind from hitting you but does relieve a lot of the blast....

I've never noticed a weave running with the small shield at speeds of up to 140.....

With my big shield at about 110 I get a weave from the irregular buffeting around the windshield...

"night and day" I thought its too small to do anything, I think I'll order one.

wfcall said:
I have a full size windshield that is ugly but makes long trips a breeze.
The minishield I leave on all the time though cause I take the big one off when arouund town and stuff....

The difference between no shield and the factory minishield is like night and day for me...
The small one does not stop wind from hitting you but does relieve a lot of the blast....

I've never noticed a weave running with the small shield at speeds of up to 140.....

With my big shield at about 110 I get a weave from the irregular buffeting around the windshield...
________
Mike Parkes

Last edited:
firefly said:
"night and day" I thought its too small to do anything, I think I'll order one.

Realistically I may have overstated the case by saying "night and day".....
I CAN for sure tell the difference tho' and don't like riding without at least the mini in place.....
Don't spend your money on my recommendation tho' without maybe trying someone elses to see how you like it....

firefly said:
I've been seriously thinking about mini screen, But can it cause the bike to weave?
I've noticed some weaving while experimenting with fat rear tires and low profile front tires,
My unscientific guess is that pitching the weight of the bike forward can cause the rear to weave? I also noticed that a wider than stock handle bar makes the rear weave, after I replaced it with a narrower bar the weave has greatly diminished?

What causes this weave? anyone with a more scientific explanation?
except you! :) Not you:)

The weave is caused by the mounting point of the windscreen. Every aftermarket windscreen I've seen bolts to the handlebars, which produces the weave. Supersport bikes windscreens and fairings all mount to the frame which I would think is a better mounting system. I think there is an untapped market for different windscreens and fairings for the VMax if you could mount it to the frame.

Back