Windows 10 upgrade.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
It took about 4 hours to uprgade my Win7 laptop to Win10. I lost all my passwords, music, photos and lots of programs. After about 2 hours of aggrivation, I reverted back to 7. Took 15 minutes, and everything worked fine. I had another laptop that I did a full restore to 7 on, immediately before upgrading to 10. That system works great.. 10 works well, if you start the upgrade with a fresh install or full recovery of 7. Seems my years of running 7 boogered up the upgrade. If I ever have to wipe or replace the hard drive, I'd definitely start over with 10, though..

I've run Windows 8.1 and then 10 on the computers that are compatible with. This computer is running Windows 10. I also run CCleaner, Malwarebytes and Auslogic disk defragmenter. Those along with Windows Defender seem to keep everything functioning well.

Note: Tried all versions of Windows in the past except Vista. 10 seems to be the best so far. I've got over 6 months experience with 10. Still a lot of updates going on though..

Last edited:
Best thing you can do is avoid Win10. Absolutely no need to upgrade since 7 will be supported with security updates through 01/14/2020.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle

Upgrade to Win10 if you do not value your privacy. If you run 7 then I would recommend removing all Win10 nagware and telemetry updates. The telemetry updates are just Microsoft tracking your digital footprint.

Be adventurous, make the switch to Linux! You won't regret it and privacy is still readily available there beginning with native support for whole disk encryption. Mainstream distributions will provide regular end users with a great computing experience plus 3rd party software is generally open source, aka free.

For first timers, https://linuxmint.com

Best thing you can do is avoid Win10. Absolutely no need to upgrade since 7 will be supported with security updates through 01/14/2020.

Upgrade to Win10 if you do not value your privacy. If you run 7 then I would recommend removing all Win10 nagware and telemetry updates. The telemetry updates are just Microsoft tracking your digital footprint.

Be adventurous, make the switch to Linux! You won't regret it and privacy is still readily available there beginning with native support for whole disk encryption. Mainstream distributions will provide regular end users with a great computing experience plus 3rd party software is generally open source, aka free.

Interesting to see that Microsoft has taken the same route as Google! :biglaugh: How do you get rid of the Windows 10 nag ware? And I agree with you on Linux!

Thanks for the updates.

One thing that just irritates me, is that its almost like I'm being forced to upgrade. If you go into the system, and remove that update for the windows 10 upgrade, some people are reporting that now it shows up as an important update, almost to MAKE you update the system.

I happen to like windows 7 professional, and I like buying office.....and NOT having to subscribe to it. Hell it almost seems like Windows to PUSHING me to go to Linux.

I run half a dozen computers at home with different versions of Windows. I took out the drive on one of the test mules and picked up a cheap SSD for a fresh install of Windows 10 as a fast ring insider.
It's OK, but everything is geared towards the Microsoft App Store. I'm sticking to Win 7 for my main OS and Win XP on my stand alone PCs

Had to add in Classic Shell to get a better start menu and a "Gadgets" program to get the Windows 7 gadget pack back in Windows 10.

I have also heard plenty about privacy issues with 10 from folks that know more than I, I have 7, 64 bit and it works well after some minor performance and security tweaks that I cant imagine any reason to shake it up. I understand that its very difficult to lock your comp down with 10 and I value privacy greatly since most of my shopping and banking is online. A tweaked win7/64 meets my needs very well. If I were not a gamer I would choose a non-microsoft OS but the games need Windows,

I didnt know they put it in auto update! Thanks for that heads up. Glad I have auto update turned off, I manually pick and choose the updates I want periodically and havnt noticed it.

One other noteworthy distinction to make is if your OS came with a machine and is loaded with inate spyware and bloatware like from Dell. I built my comp so had no choice but to buy stand alone win7 that was not infused with crap from a comp vendor. Imma stay here for now, really feeling like 10 would be a step in the wrong direction.

I Remember win 3.11 and DOS 6.2 back in the 386/486/pentium days:punk:

I'm on 10 and don't like it. I want 7 back but haven't used my pic long enough to be reminded of the revert. Called Microsoft and said I wanted to go back to 7 and told me I had to buy another key! Wasn't impressed at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first homebuilt system used an AMD 5X86chip running win 3.1.. At a blazing 100 megahertz. I think a Chinese kid can run an abacus faster..

All the computers I support are W7 so I will remain there which helps troubleshooting. I see no need to be an early adopter in a Windows environment as it seems it takes them at least 2 years to somewhat cleanup the issues.

Thanks for the link Tex, I've got a suitable desk top to put Linux in. I despise Microsoft and their proprietary ways. I forked over $150 for XP Pro right before they announced the end of support for it. It Runs well with Service pack 3 in it.
Steve

My first homebuilt system used an AMD 5X86chip running win 3.1.. At a blazing 100 megahertz. I think a Chinese kid can run an abacus faster..

When I worked at ADT we had a refrigerator sized 386 with a disk drive almost as big as a Vmax rear wheel. It had it's own refer system to cool it. A Dos type operating system protecting your favorite bank.

My laptop at work upgraded to 10, went smoothly, didn't lose anything. The update nagging is certainly annoying, though I just set it to automatically do it at like 6pm, so after I've left. The more I've heard about 10's behind the scenes privacy issues, the less I like it. I found the fact that it will appear to let you turn off the auto updates and the nag screens, but literally once you're not looking, will turn them back on again.

My personal laptop I've struggled with windows from day 1. Finally got sick of it, wiped the hard disk, and installed Linux Mint last time.

Mint is the most "windows-like" of the various flavors of Linux and probably the easiest for a Windows ex-pat to get used to. You get a desktop, "start menu", icons, ect as you'd expect, nothing too weird. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once I got used to it I greatly prefer it. My aging laptop is significantly faster than it ever was on win 7 or 10 and have had zero issues with hangs or crashes. All the software I realistically need was built in as well- full Office suite of programs, browser, email, iTunes clone, media players, disc burner, ect, and all of it is free and full versions. No trial versions, no ad ware, no BS. It's all there, it's all free, it all works. Wish I had done it years ago.

I run half a dozen computers at home with different versions of Windows. I took out the drive on one of the test mules and picked up a cheap SSD for a fresh install of Windows 10 as a fast ring insider.
It's OK, but everything is geared towards the Microsoft App Store. I'm sticking to Win 7 for my main OS and Win XP on my stand alone PCs

Had to add in Classic Shell to get a better start menu and a "Gadgets" program to get the Windows 7 gadget pack back in Windows 10.

What is the best advice to take care of Windows XP? My old lap top and my Dell
desk top run great. I have no need for anything better. I run Norton Virus protection Suit, and Advanced System Care Pro. Is there anything else I can do. I realize There is no support for XP anymore.
Steve

Mint is the most "windows-like" of the various flavors of Linux and probably the easiest for a Windows ex-pat to get used to. You get a desktop, "start menu", icons, ect as you'd expect, nothing too weird. There's a bit of a learning curve, but once I got used to it I greatly prefer it. My aging laptop is significantly faster than it ever was on win 7 or 10 and have had zero issues with hangs or crashes. All the software I realistically need was pull up built in as well- full Office suite of programs, browser, email, iTunes clone, media players, disc burner, ect, and all of it is free and full versions. No trial versions, no ad ware, no BS. It's all there, it's all free, it all works. Wish I had done it years ago.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you Ryan, I've been looking into Linux Mint, myself. Microsoft has gone over the top, for me anyway. All I want to do is write a letter, correct spelling ect. I pull up office and it's all bells and whistles, and a course at the local community college to understand it. And then try to help my mom,whose 89. She does well e-mailing face- book and web surfing,but doesn't want to learn everything over again.Win 7 is perfect for us both. I understand, it too will no longer get supported soon.
Steve

A friend used a company laptop for her work running Win7. She was tricked into installing Win10 (when they placed it as an "Important Update"). It installed Getwx.exe on her computer and f_cked it up bad.. It may have worked on a more powerful computer, but on her older laptop, it messed it up like a virus.. Almost in tears she came looking for help. Her company turned off System Restore, so I had no restore point to go to. It took me almost an hour to isolate that damn GetwX.exe from all locations and stop it from loading.
What a PITA..

As IT Support in a high school with over 325 laptops, all running Win7, I've had plenty of experience with Windows 7. I like it. It's a staple in Windows performance. All of our student programs run great on Win7, and troubleshooting is a breeze. I recently upgraded my work laptop to Win10, and I don't hate it. I found all of the data sharing settings and turned as many as I can off, and limited how much info is sent to Microsoft. I think my laptop runs very fast, and is great with multitasking. I have 8GB RAM at 64bit, and I always have another monitor plugged into the laptop to give me more screen room, and the laptop and Win10 handles it all. I love it. I think it works great, and its incredibly better than Win8 or 8.1. My upgrade and installation went smooth, and I didn't lose a single file or setting. Obviously I had to change a few settings once installed, but nothing that wasn't typical of any installation. I've yet to have any issues with Win10, so I believe all of our student laptops will be upgraded this summer. All of our laptops have Vipre anitvirus installed, plus our state internet provider for the state of ND has policies and procedures in place to help limit suspicious activity.

For me, it's all personal preference. Try Win10 with the free upgrade, and if you don't like it, change it back to Win7 or Win8, whatever you had, and stick with that. If you don't like Windows at all, then make the jump to Linux. I've thought about it in the past, but Windows hasn't done anything yet to lose my business.

Just my 2 cents.

Please let it be summer. I'm ready to ride!

I was pleasantly surprised by Windows 10. It sure beats Windows 8, and it's faster than Windows 7. Just be certain to disable all of the spying that MS performs in Windows 10.

There are free tools that can do it for you, and guides if you want to do it yourself. Take a look at these: https://www.google.com/search?q=windows+10+disable+spyware&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Bill,

Regarding your passwords, I suggest that you try "Last Pass." It's free, unless you also want to run it on your smart phone, then it costs $1 / month. Well worth the $12/year I pay to set everything to 15 character strong passwords! If you should decide to use it, let them know I referred you and we will both get a free month of premium. :)

If you store them in your browser, they are plain text that anyone can see. Here is a tool you can run to see for yourself. Run this on your computer.

(Damn! It's blocked at my work as "hacking tools." You want the Browser Password tool.) -->

Password Recovery Tools for Windows - NirSoft

You can also export all of the passwords for future reference.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Pete

EDIT: Concerning Linux, my personal favorite is LXLE. It's designed for older hardware, and is just as intuitive and full-featured as Mint. It, like Mint, is based on Ubuntu. You can download the .iso and burn it to DVD, then boot it and run it "live" without installing anything, to see if you like it. (You can do this with Mint, and many other distributions too.)

Back