Windscreen Reviews

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLA-Vmax

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently buying luggage and parts to make my Vmax into somewhat of a "touring" bike. What I mean by "touring" is 2-4 hour sprints around Florida (with many fuel stops).

The point of this post is to hopefully get some reviews you may have of the various windscreens. I feel the tall Puig windscreen may be the smartest idea considering the amount of time I expect to be on I-95. I am 6'2" and my back has some old injuries so keeping the wind off my chest would help me A LOT. Is the Puig windscreen effective and worth the money?

Thanks

Fork-mount windscreens of any larger size can impart all-sorts of handling issues in strong winds. The 'flycatcher' windscreens offer some break from the wind on your torso, but not really much benefit for the head. Gustaffson Plastics offers a taller option for the stock windscreen, and they come not-drilled, so you can drill to fit your spacing. https://bikescreen.com/ They sell bits for drilling, get the size for the holes you need. They include instructions, follow-them.

I have several larger screens I've acquired over the years, but never had a need to use one.

Rifle makes several screens and fairings for our bikes. https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windsh...ories-for-2006-Yamaha-VMX12S-V-Max/B5081.aspx

This is the Rifle which probably provides the most coverage:
https://rifle.com/Motorcycle-Windshields/Classic/Yamaha/Rifle-Classic-Windshield-VMAX-1986-2007.aspx

EMGO and Shoei (not sure if the Shoei is still available, I have 2 of them; the EMGO is a cheaper copy of the Shoei) have a 'batwing'-style which provides something none of the above do, hand coverage. I would not suggest triple digit speeds with one of these, they are fork-mount, and it's just not a good idea.

Memphis Shades probably has something you can use. Here is one that may be adapted, but is not specific to the VMax. It is the 'batwing'-style, so more protection.
https://www.denniskirk.com/memphis-shades/batwing-fairing-mem7011.p233136.prd/233136.sku

Last edited:
He has a Gen 2 I believe.

I can't add much more then that, the only windscreen I ever had was the small boulevard and that doesn't do much just takes a little bit off your chest.
The factory touring screen gets good reviews for effectiveness but bad reviews for looks.
I've heard good things about the Puig but I don't think they were from someone your size.
Hopefully someone here has some experience with it who can speak up.

Yes I have a Gen2. There is a nice Flyscreen on exactrep I may try first since it looks more appropriate for the bike.
Also just stumbled across the Fan Override thread. Lifesaver in Florida! Thanks!

Did you buy a screen?

I bought the Puig screen this year. Pretty easy to fit - 4 bolts. It does make a big difference at high speed. I have high bars on mine so it takes pressure off my chest and doesn't try to rip my helmet off any more. I'm 6'0" and the wind now hits my visor - I get wind noise but over all it's an improvement. The bike and I are also more aerodynamic so it accelerates noticeably faster at the top end.

Don't waste your money on the fly screen . I have one hate it. Took it off.

Did you buy a screen?

I bought the Puig screen this year. Pretty easy to fit - 4 bolts. It does make a big difference at high speed. I have high bars on mine so it takes pressure off my chest and doesn't try to rip my helmet off any more. I'm 6'0" and the wind now hits my visor - I get wind noise but over all it's an improvement. The bike and I are also more aerodynamic so it accelerates noticeably faster at the top end.
Hi nice to hear thx for info... likes the look of the PUIGH , just like Yamaha original but less than half the price ....me 5,9 so I believe this will be an improvement, my ealier HONDA Goldwing 1800 was no problem with speeds up to 110 mph + with this bike 60-70 is max without help :(
//Lars

Back