Windshield, Highway pegs, fork stabilizer

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kiffmeyer

Reaction score
New to the max world and looking for information on these items. Any help would be appreciated. Currently looking at an MRA highwayshield in smoke gray. Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks

New to the max world and looking for information on these items. Any help would be appreciated. Currently looking at an MRA highwayshield in smoke gray. Any input would be appreciated!! Thanks

Welcome Kiff,

The fork brace truly isn't necessary on the Vmax. The factory one will suffice. I have one because I had to lower my front fender which looks goofy with the stock brace.

The shield and highway peg most def make it more comfy but the #1 mod for comfort is the seat. Sean Morley (one2dmax) cuts them down and it's SO worth it.

You can reach him at [email protected]

Rear shocks, fork springs, 15wt oil in the forks, EBC HH brake pads, and some frame braces are some of the best mods you can do for comfort and control.

Good luck,
Chris

to further chris' poitn, also just make sure your steering head bearings are in spec

Hi and welcome!

For highway pegs, most people start with the engine guards - you can rest your feet on them! There's usually plenty of these on fleabay, these are stainless steel for $100:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-VMAX-v-max-vmx1200-Engine-Guards-Crash-Bars-NEW_W0QQitemZ300306879638QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item300306879638&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

If you prefer real pegs, Kuryakin make some (that clamp on the guards) - I have them on my bike just check out my pics in the garage. Sean (one2dmax) sells Kuryakin at a discounted price to all of us.

For windshields there are many choices, depending on what you're after. The OEM flyscreen is cute and will take most of the windblast off your chest, but that's about it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YAMAHA-Instrument-Cowl-Screen-V-Max-models-Cruiser-NEW_W0QQitemZ300300528915QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item300300528915&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

I use a SlipStreamer Hellfire which is a lot bigger because I do a lot of highway miles, and it's pretty good. Again check my pics to see what it looks like, although the one in the pics is the Spitfire model which is smaller than what I have now. The Spitfire retails at about $65.
http://www.vmaxforum.net/album.php?albumid=97
And here's a pic of the Hellfire:
http://www.slipstreamer.com/Product/Sport/sport.html
They all come in clear or smoke.

I'm not sure what you mean by fork stabilizer - if you mean fork brace then as Chris said don't bother, it makes very little difference other than looks. If you mean steering damper, then they are stupid expensive unless you adapt a second-hand one from another bike.

If you're having wobbles, then search the threads here - plenty about it and usually the first port of call to to check/adjust/replace your steering head bearings.

Hope this helps..

Thanks for the advice! Lots to learn and know about the max. I'll take your advice on the brake pads as they are due. Do most standard pegs work well on the max or is there a set that you recommend? Thanks for the help!

HW pegs are a little funky IMO. I have the Cycle One Off case guards that I use but a lot of peeps use the factory guards or the Holeshot Performance ones. Checkout www.holeshot.com for some good Vmax stuff. They are good to deal with as well.

I don't do widshields. If it gets to a point where I need one I will sell the bike and get a sports car... lol

Chris

As far as a windshield, I have a Givi one and a Memphis Shade Hellcat depending how long the ride is and weather conditions. For the Hellcat, the signal lights need to e relocated.

Have stock rear vmax foot pegs bolted to the engine guards and have an aftermarket fork brace mainly because the fender needed to be lowered for the radial tire.

As you can see, there's alot of options that you can choose.

Mike

"""I don't do windshields. If it gets to a point where I need one I will sell the bike and get a sports car... lol"""

Well said! You got that right:punk:

"""I don't do windshields. If it gets to a point where I need one I will sell the bike and get a sports car... lol"""

Well said! You got that right:punk:

And I say BOLLOX to that.

It's all fine for all you sissies doing the milk run and back, try doing some real miles at man speed and then let's talk again..

I'd rather be on my Max than in any cage any day, yet I do actually enjoy my hearing and my neck muscles. :biglaugh:

And I say BOLLOX to that.

It's all fine for all you sissies doing the milk run and back, try doing some real miles at man speed and then let's talk again..

I'd rather be on my Max than in any cage any day, yet I do actually enjoy my hearing and my neck muscles. :biglaugh:

Easy Now Gaetan! I did my time years ago with a shield, until I finally realized without one is just like "not" wearing a condom. With one on simply takes away the real feel :eusa_dance:

hahaha i'll agree on the condom :th_love031: but not on the comparison :hmmm:. I still say bollox LOL

I have done my 90-mile commute without a shield a few times, all the way at 85+ mph, and the way my neck hurt for the following two weeks :th_12: was enough of a reason, notwithstanding the recurring tinnitus.

But still, do I want to be in a cage? Your call.. :bullshit: I'll take a shield any day.

If you want a bigger highway shield the Plexstar 2 seems
good for fuller coverage. I have some of the universal clamp
on Yamaha highway pegs, work fine . I think you can get
them through Dennis Kirk among others.
Good luck

Around my parts, a windshield makes good sense, unless you like bug crap all over you. This pic taken after a one hour ride after dark.

Mike

Attachments

• P1010025_edited.jpg
    P1010025_edited.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 36
Back