Windshields

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thundermax

Reaction score
I am shopping for a windshield for my 98. I like the Hellfire V. Before I order it I am asking for comments from other vmax owners on their likes/dislikes/recommendations. Thanks!

I run the Givi A123..........Offers enough protection for me and looks good, anything larger on a Max looks out of place in my opinion....................Tom.

I also have the givi a123. It deflects enough wind to keep me happy on the highway. In general though I do not like windshields. In my experience most of them just redirect the blast somewhere else. I tried 6 different shields on my xs1100 with rake/height adjust and they all seemed to take the wind off my chest but made my head shake. My xs1100 is naked again and it's actually less fatiguing to ride without one on that bike. The givi a123 works well on the vmax in my opinion and it looks great too.

Attachments

• IMG_3461.jpg
    IMG_3461.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3462.jpg
    IMG_3462.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 107
The GIVI looks good & if you go to Daytona, the GIVI distributor is set-up outside the Speedway, & you can buy their products there, usually at a bit of a discount. Maybe you could order it for a "will-call" @ the GIVI truck/display. There is plenty of room there for an 'on-the-spot' install, you can pull your bike up right next to the truck. Last year they set-up close to US 92 on the west side, away from the plethora of American V-twin vendors that make up tahe majority of dealers further to the east in-front of the Speedway. It was about a two or three minute walk from the Yamaha display, as-if you were walking to the short track from the Yamaha tents. The Yamaha had some 1/2-price deals on fabric outerwear, >$90 for a normally-$200 armored fabric coat w/multiple liners. They were really nice for the price, waterproof, vented, armored, and minimal product branding, no huge high-contrast Yamaha logo. Keep an eye out for what they have at the Yamaha tent this Daytona Bike Week.

The Givi is about as close as you can get to the OE Yamaha "flyscreen", though I think it's slightly larger.

I have the OE flyscreen and as said, it mostly redirects the air off your chest and into your face. It doesn't really bother me since I use an enclosed helmet, but if you use a shorty/no helmet, I imagine it could be more bothersome.

It creates just enough of a "bubble" that if I hunker down over the faux tank I can be out of the wind at high speeds.

I like my Rifle windshield. It's more of a cruiser style and too big for many people's taste but it does a good job of keeping the wind off my chest and helmet. It's best if you do a lot of miles on the open highway. If you're mostly about town then the other suggestions might work best for you.

I to run the Givi A123 and also ride a few long trips each year. I wear a full face helmet and the wind blast can be tiring but I guess I deal with it for vanity's sake. I have thought of getting a larger windshield that quick mounts to the handlebars but I will put up with the wind for now.
There are a couple of other small faring types like the Coerce fairing, FatMax fairing and one other that I forget ATM.

Thank you all for the comments. I too don't really like a windshield on the Vmax, just like it naked. But yesterday I rode in some wind and it was tough going. Have a full coverage helmet which helped tremendously but the wind whipped on my upper half quite a bit.

For looks I like the Givi, but it does not deflect the wind over my head so I wonder what is the point of spending $125 and not getting wind relief.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. Thanks.

I have a Memphis Shade Hellcat windshield. I attached to the handlebars, so easy on, easy off. But I must admit, it pretty much stays on all the time, except for bike night, than it goes naked or with a Givi winshield.

Only mod that I did to the Hellcat, is to cut about 2" off each side at the bottom so the signal could be left in their original location.

I love this windshield on the highway, great wind coverage and very little are buffeting. I ride with a half helmet.

Mike

Attachments

• max1.jpg
    max1.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 100
Im thinking about selling mine for $60. Its the stock one.

Thank you all for the comments. I too don't really like a windshield on the Vmax, just like it naked. But yesterday I rode in some wind and it was tough going. Have a full coverage helmet which helped tremendously but the wind whipped on my upper half quite a bit.

For looks I like the Givi, but it does not deflect the wind over my head so I wonder what is the point of spending $125 and not getting wind relief.

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming. Thanks.
It takes all the wind off of my chest, shoulders and part way up my helmet (about mid faceshield/ lowered seat). I am going to try a aero trick that I learned over on Adventure Rider Forum, hopefully it will smooth the airflow and reduce buffeting on the helmet. I have a old Givi I am going to try cutting a specific shaped hole to allow air to bleed behind the screen. I will post my results when I can do some testing.

I'm a fan of the Memphis Shades Classic Deuce....very similar to Mike's M/S Hellcat. The max on the left has a Laminar Lip on the top, it helped deflect the wind up and over my helmet, it cost too much but worked ok.

Attachments

• 100_2110.jpg
    100_2110.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 63
Dannymax how do your wind sceens work out at 136mph. Im thinking it would cause trouble but not sure. It would be nice to block wind and still go fast.

I haven't gone over 125 Mike, and then only briefly, but I don't think sustained high speeds with a larger screen like the M/S is a good idea. A little air pocket or cross breeze might send you into a hi speed wobble....:confused2:

Heya,

I ran a Spitfire windshield first and liked the deflection, but it wasn't enough and was very noisy as my head got buffeted by the wind a lot.

I then got Danny's Hellfire windshield and ran it the whole time I had my '86. Loved it, I left a little room between its bottom and the top of the headlight which allowed air through and provided much needed cooling (in FL), and the air was nicely deflected over most of my helmet (I'm 6'2" and ran a Corbin seat).

I'd recommend the Hellfire anyday - check out my album pics for the way it looked.

I also ran a Venture pumpkin, so the bike never went above 135mph (kept running out of road before it could go any faster) but up to 135 it felt fine as long as I kept a relaxed grip on the bars. I used to have really bad high-speed wobble when I first got my '86 (naked) so even after fixing it by replacing the head races and tires I was still always 'aware' of it at very high speeds, which prevented me from sustaining them too long lol..

Where do I find Danny's Hellfire windshield?

Also, naughtyG I looked at your album. Liked the hellfire windshield. Also, the wider handlebars. Do you think they give you better control? Would it be involved changing out the handlebars? Thanks.

One more thing: Where do you buy the handlebars, will the existing cables work on them, what do they cost? Thanks.

Saw a vmax with a Memphis shades "Shooter" windshield and liked the way it looked.

Has anyone any comments about it, do you have one or have had one and does it deflect the wind over your helmet? Does the dark tinting on the bottom prevent you from seeing any of the road you need to see?

One can be seen on a vmax at: http://www.haastransmission.com/images/shooter.jpg

So I am still looking for a windshield. Do not want to cover the turn signals on the bottom, like the "Shooter" for the way it fits the bottom. Just wished I could find one like the "Shooter" that was 2-4 inches taller.

Thanks for your help.

Where do I find Danny's Hellfire windshield?

Also, naughtyG I looked at your album. Liked the hellfire windshield. Also, the wider handlebars. Do you think they give you better control? Would it be involved changing out the handlebars? Thanks.

I changed out my bar's. The oem bar's are 27 inches wide with 2 1/2 inch rise. I was able to get a 33 inch wide with a 4 inch rise on. I had to move my brake lines around the tree by taking the fly screen off and pulled a little of the wiring slack up and out to get everything in place. I per drilled my bar to be able to add lighted bar ends next month. The change out time was just over 2 hour start to riding off. I fell like the bike handles much better with the wider bars. I have more comfort in my shoulders and that make more control for me. I have wide shoulders and the extra on the bar makes it feel like I am not all bunched up. If you go with anything bigger or taller you will have to take and add to the wiring and change your lines. I bought my bars from my local parts / repair shop. They have books to with the bar spec's and price. I bought EMGO bar's I paid under 30.00 for them. If you wanting to change your grips out this is the best time to do so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back