Winter Project

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
At the end of last riding season I broke my 2nd gear so here is what I have been working on the last couple month's.

Attachments

• v-maxright.jpg
    v-maxright.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 55
  • v-max engine 040.jpg
    v-max engine 040.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 53
  • v-max engine 042.jpg
    v-max engine 042.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 50
  • image (2).jpg
    image (2).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 53
  • v-max engine 092.jpg
    v-max engine 092.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 53
  • v-max engine 093.jpg
    v-max engine 093.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 51
  • v-max engine 094.jpg
    v-max engine 094.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 49
  • v-max engine 097.jpg
    v-max engine 097.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 57
  • v-max engine 099.jpg
    v-max engine 099.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 52
Sorry some of the pics are not in order. But I suck at computer stuff, But basically I started with a whole bike, took the engine out, put it upside down on my work bench, re-moved the trans, sent it out for undercutting and repair, got it back in, put the oil pan back on and the clutch back in, flipped it back up noticed I scratched the valve covers(bummer), if anyone knows the color of gold used that would be helpful, now I have the shim kit from Sean so next up is adjust the valves, I want to paint the side covers, I have the usual scuff's where your boots rub on the sides cover, and now I have to paint the valve covers too, then it's just clean up the frame and put the motor back in, then I get to install the Hindle exhaust pipes and Vance and Hines muffler that I bought from Sean ! Lot's of work to go but I feel like I'm on the down hill, Thanx to BeeKeeper and Sean Morley and the website without all the help don't think I would have tackled this on my own being I'm just a back yard mechanic.

I think Yamaha only used the color one year and I tried to find a match with no luck. Maybe somebody else has the answer. I think its more like a silver green but sure looks gold sometimes. This is what I came up with and I think if I would have added a little silver it would be close. I would have to look at the can but I think its a landcruiser color.

I used two jacks to put my cases together and didnt have to fight the forks that way. It worked really well.

Attachments

• IMG_0415.JPG
    IMG_0415.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0311.JPG
    IMG_0311.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 49
I think Yamaha only used the color one year and I tried to find a match with no luck. Maybe somebody else has the answer. I think its more like a silver green but sure looks gold sometimes. This is what I came up with and I think if I would have added a little silver it would be close. I would have to look at the can but I think its a landcruiser color.

I used two jacks to put my cases together and didnt have to fight the forks that way. It worked really well.
+1 on that man those shift forks were a PAIN ! if I had to do it again definitely would do it that way.

I used two jacks to put my cases together and didn't have to fight the forks that way. It worked really well.

Yeah, never seen that color on anything but a '94, been systematically phasing it off my bike entirely but the hub of the back rim still tells the tale. Much happier with these valve covers chromed but it did sorta start me down the path of chrome addiction. Polished aluminum must have been the gateway 'drug' Doesn't look like the ding you have there would be too noticeable once installed but would bug me too just knowing it was there.

flipped it back up noticed I scratched the valve covers(bummer) said:
How bad are the valve covers scratched? You can only see at most about 2" of the ends when bike is assembled. No way at all you can see the middle like in that pic.

If it were mine, and just the middles were scratched, I would just touch it up with some clear or aluminum aerosol engine enamel sprayed on a cotton swab and daubed on the scratch, just to prevent corrosion.

How bad are the valve covers scratched? You can only see at most about 2" of the ends when bike is assembled. No way at all you can see the middle like in that pic.

If it were mine, and just the middles were scratched, I would just touch it up with some clear or aluminum aerosol engine enamel sprayed on a cotton swab and daubed on the scratch, just to prevent corrosion.
your right prob never see it but I would know it's there and would bug me, it's a sickness I know ! :bang head:

well I got the motor back together and in the engine yesterday with a little help from my friendshttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FMJ1EcusKc&feature=youtu.be

Back