Winter Projects

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainKyle

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what does everyone have going on for winter projects ? My Luv truck is the biggest one. I got tired of looking at it not painted and dove In head first. After that is done I am going to drive it for a month or so and then yank the engine back out and change the cam and pistons. I have plenty of other projects to but this is the biggest one.

Attachments

• 20201120_143143.jpg
    20201120_143143.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201120_143136.jpg
    20201120_143136.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201120_134717.jpg
    20201120_134717.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201120_134709.jpg
    20201120_134709.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 20201120_102442.jpg
    20201120_102442.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20201120_153433.jpg
    20201120_153433.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201117_130238.jpg
    20201117_130238.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20201117_130253.jpg
    20201117_130253.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 21
Seeing the wheelbase and thinking how it probably handles in an exciting way, being that short, even with the locating links for the rear axle, it reminds me of the 1960's sports car the Cheetah. He built it to represent Chevrolet against Ford's Cobra and the Shelby-Mustang. You sat just in-front of the rear axle.

1964 CHEETAH - (barrett-jackson.com)

Cheetah 1964.jpg

Well, I have a couple of boring fuel injected Motorcycle projects.

One is the completion of a project I started last fall. This machine began life as a 900 pound, full dress, 1300cc, six-cylinder behemoth. I have put it on a diet and it now has a 750 Zephyr tank, Honda shadow tail and a Dyna wide glide seat. Working through some electrical issues and suspension improvements.

The second is a special machine. One year only Honda CX500 Turbo. It’s all there, but it needs a lot of love. Don’t have any shots of it together as it wasn’t together when I bought it. It’s just as well since I needed to be out of the hood anyway.

But these two rascals need to wait for me to get my Vmax healthy again. I am telling you, there are simply not enough hours in the day.3121953D-220F-43D7-AC5A-8ACA02CF4FB9.jpeg74B9E982-6069-4F5D-84A0-D0A040632BFB.jpegE8114773-B4E3-4E36-B463-5C4B7ABE5170.jpeg60D90432-2E6C-4864-8C51-15F61A847F8D.jpeg

Well, I have a couple of boring fuel injected Motorcycle projects.

One is the completion of a project I started last fall. This machine began life as a 900 pound, full dress, 1300cc, six-cylinder behemoth. I have put it on a diet and it now has a 750 Zephyr tank, Honda shadow tail and a Dyna wide glide seat. Working through some electrical issues and suspension improvements.

The second is a special machine. One year only Honda CX500 Turbo. It’s all there, but it needs a lot of love. Don’t have any shots of it together as it wasn’t together when I bought it. It’s just as well since I needed to be out of the hood anyway.

But these two rascals need to wait for me to get my Vmax healthy again. I am telling you, there are simply not enough hours in the day.View attachment 73867View attachment 73868View attachment 73869View attachment 73870
The old KZ 1300 is looking pretty good ! I probably should have kept mine but realized I have to many projects & don't work everyday do to my crappy neck, back & shoulder. I like the CBX to but can't say I really like doing carbs on them.LOL

The CX500 Turbo and the CX650 Turbo were the highest-tech Hondas of their day.

One of the guys who had one here in south FL, had a house fire, and his beautiful CX500 Turbo was destroyed.

Last time you posted about the KZ1300 I posted a pic of one a friend owns. a complete bike, not currently-running. For sale.

I like how yours is turning out, it looks good.

Back when I lived in New York, I had a buddy who had one of these absolutely gorgeous machines. Even had the privilege to ride it. Was a very peppy quick bike for what it was. Well....my buddy liked to drink. One night, he was out on the interstate well into triple digit territory(from what the police report states) when he went into the jersey barriers. He miraculously survived with barely any injuries. The bike though was a mangled mess with no hope to ever be repaired or restored. A true classic for sure. Always nice to see one, even if it isnt running yet.

My projects are mainly the Kawasaki Vulcan and the Gen 1. I still gotta get the carbs back together for the Gen 1 and I need to buckle down on the Vulcan to see why there just isnt any power on the top end. But my garage isnt heated and I have minimal space to get heat into the garage. But we generally have decent days poking here and there to go out and play.

Not a bike, but a project for maybe working-on bikes. Years-ago, I bought a Kennedy workbench. I cannot recall if it was at Habitat for Humanity, or a yard sale, or wherever. It sat in storage at my in-law's for years, in a shed my f.i.l. had built. They're gone now. The shed was in-need of removal, it took me a couple of weeks making landfill trips here in so. FL. The tip fees showed nearly 8,000 lbs for the stucco building and the foundation. Now the workbench needed a new home.

I needed to make a set of legs for it, I used 2X4's, rabbeted-together, Simpson screws and pocket screws, and machine screws to hold it all-together. It's much-sturdier now, and I still have to cut a bottom shelf for it. I might throw some casters onto it, so it can easily be moved around.

Kennedy workbench.06.jpgKennedy workbench.01.jpgKennedy workbench.02.jpgKennedy workbench.05.jpg

Update: the bottom shelf got made. I was thinking about using some drawer slides, but for now, I just mounted it. 18" X 39" X 9" so it should fit some blow-molded cases easily.

Also in the shed was an old (31 years!) Murray lawnmower, a basic, non-driven model. I had it sitting outside, under an awning at the in-laws. Last night I brought it home, and when I unloaded it, there was a loud clunking-noise coming-from the engine. The piston was apparently-stuck when I tried to turn-over the engine with the pull-cord. I removed the spark plug, and sht a few good spritzes of PB Blaster in, and replaced the sparkplug.

This morning, I removed the carb, gas tank, pull-starter, the blade, and the frozen brake cable for the engine. Once I got the flathead off, I was able to free-up the piston, and the valves opened/closed as they should. I was worried that the loud clunking I'd heard was maybe a conn rod, broken, and just flopping-around, or maybe a shattered piston crown. I found-out what the noise was: a spare spark plug, thrown into the metal gas tank! Why or how it was in there, I dunno, I fished it out, wire-brushed it, and it worked.

Everything got cleaned and reassembled, it had a bulb gasoline primer mechanism, and after a few good yanks, it started, and it smoked. I thought after sitting for so-long the piston rings might be gummed-up, and that a few start/cool-down cycles might free-up things. Sure-enough, the smoking lessened, and the next-time I started it, the heavy initial smoking was gone. I don't really need this lawnmower, as I have >1, so I might throw this onto craigslist or offer-up. Still, another victory over the internal-combustion devils who would deny an engine the opportunity to do work, once-again.

Last edited:
I hate you guys. ;)

Those are some awesome projects. All I've got going is building my daughter a new guitar. (She's always done everything herself and bought a POS for 60 bucks at a consignment shop two years ago. I'm mega-upgrading it.)

@Fire-medic that is a top drawer looking job you're doing. I've got just a regular old Craftsman base and top chest. I'd much rather have something like you're doing there. MUCH more useable. Well done, sir!

@desert_max I'm really liking the red bike on the stand. That just looks badass. If that were in my garage I'd probably be working on it long before my Vmax if it needed it.

desert max needs to get-on the ball, I don't see anything different from his last post about the KZ1300/6! I bet that's going to be a fun ride.

This is the same pic I posted before, it's seen the same amount of attention...

Parminio, I'm sure your daughter is going to be thrilled with the refurbishments. The only way that I can carry a tune is to pick-up my cellphone to listen to stored media. One of my friends worked at Gibson guitars when they were still in Kalamazoo MI, where they were founded.

I just cut the front lawn with the cleaned-up mower, it works fine, but I need to replace the rotten foam air filter and the deadman switch cable that runs to the pivoting handle at the handlebar, a total of $15.

ZN1300 inline 6-cyl. Kawasaki.jpg:confused:

The Luv is getting an L88 hood to and also got some new Aerospace brakes a couple weeks ago. I had been running 6 to 5 lug adapters on the front which made the wheels stick out. The brakes were not cheap but I like them.

Attachments

• 20201113_125921.jpg
    20201113_125921.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20201109_142403.jpg
    20201109_142403.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 3
Thanks for the kind comments.

FM, you are not the first one to shame me into getting back onto the Kawasaki. I think I have reached critical mass and actually have begun poking at it again. Maybe there will be some good news soon.

Either way, the pipeline is full and I have my hands full. I haven’t even mentioned the 78 CB 750 super sport. All I’ve done with that one is throw it on the table, peel a few things off of it and get a general idea of what I’m up against. There again, it won’t be trivial....
4677E1E9-A17F-4717-9201-DEC6AEB7CBE2.jpeg2940C4DA-818C-4CF2-8C7F-185B645B4388.jpeg0CAD1E45-58C3-4C0C-A01A-1537F7E5E945.jpeg

Last edited:
The Luv is getting an L88 hood to and also got some new Aerospace brakes a couple weeks ago. I had been running 6 to 5 lug adapters on the front which made the wheels stick out. The brakes were not cheap but I like them.

Your Luv project brought back a bittersweet memory, Kyle. My ex-wife got my 70 SS 454 Chevelle in our divorce 15 years ago. I miss that ... car.

That car was built right - not a paint run, firewall marking restoration, but a built Chevelle. Just the way God intended it. I raised it from a pup. It was really quick and ran a consistent 12.10 1/4 mile. On the… er… street, the only time I ever got beat was a damn Chevy Luv. Nasty, purple, small block Chevy Luv. I knew when he pulled up at the light it was gonna be bad…

Your Luv project brought back a bittersweet memory, Kyle. My ex-wife got my 70 SS 454 Chevelle in our divorce 15 years ago. I miss that ... car.

That car was built right - not a paint run, firewall marking restoration, but a built Chevelle. Just the way God intended it. I raised it from a pup. It was really quick and ran a consistent 12.10 1/4 mile. On the… er… street, the only time I ever got beat was a damn Chevy Luv. Nasty, purple, small block Chevy Luv. I knew when he pulled up at the light it was gonna be bad…
Sucks to hear about the Chevelle ! That is all this truck is just a driver that runs decent. I am not trying to make it perfect because I drive the shit out of it & leave it parked in parking lots etc. I just want a decent looking street truck not a show truck. I got over showing vehicles years ago. I just want to drive them & have fun now.

Desert Max I see a Firebird & Westfalia to so it looks like you have car projects to . I have a couple more bike projects I need to get to also. I have to hurry up & finish the truck though. I have some people wanting some bike paint work soon. I seem to do more bike work in the winter time.

My ex-wife got my 70 SS 454 Chevelle in our divorce 15 years ago. I miss that ... car.
I had the same car. It was flat out stolen back in 1989.

I'd love to this day to get my hands on the jerk that did it. You're a far better man than I am because there's no way I could live with knowing who had it.

Back