Winter Riding

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Rode my V-Max to work this morning (again). Clear weather, good roads. Just very cold at 19 degrees F. The guys at work think I'm crazy... maybe I am. I just really enjoy riding the V-Max. I always reply, "No rain, no snow, no ice... I'm riding."

Just some quick tips:

1. Be careful crossing railroad tracks, especially in a turn. They're super slippery - my rear tire skidded out a little.

2. Our V-motor has a ton of torque, which breaks the rear tire loose easily. Don't push it.

3. Maybe a little "outside the box" but drivers don't see bikers many times. In the winter season, maybe the assumption is that there are no motorcycles on the road at all. We should probably be more vigilant than usual.

Feel free to add some other tips if y'all have any.

Could you give an advice on the gloves?

I use Joe Rocket winter gloves similar to the photo below. They do quite well, but I haven't found any type of gloves good for long rides on very cold days.

Joe_Rocket_Nitrogen_Leather_Gloves_Black_zoom.jpg

I use Hein Gericke winter riding pants that are absolutely the best for cold weather.

As far as what to wear, I would say to wear the same clothes as snowmobiling. Maybe a little bulky, but designed to keep you warm for hours in below zero temperatures. In NY they use salt on the road. Most guys won't ride, even if it's a nice sunny day, because the don't want the salt on there bike. Another concern is at intersections and corners. There's loose salt and sand build up, that you cause you to loose traction in corners. How far is your drive to work Lotsokids?

OK a few observations:

Bike tires need heat in them to work and the cold temps may affect this, giving less grip.

I agree about any groin plates (those big sheets of metal road construction crews use to cover excavations to allow traffic flow), RR tracks, trolley tracks (especially ones you are trying to cross at something other than 90*), and any painted road signs on the tarmac, like directional arrows, stop bars, 'SCHOOL XING' and similar: these all have very little traction, and this is worsened by deposits at intersections from traffic, like coolant, ATF, oil, tar from a tar kettle, or repairs using tar to bind fissures in the road surface, and during dry spells, when there isn't any rain to wash away what will run-off when it does rain. Most are aware that when the first rain after a dry spell happens, all that *(&^^%$! is going to be floating on the surface and make for some dodgy going. I would recommend extreme caution when trying to corner or brake over the lines or traffic directional painted on the roads! They are a recipe for disaster, and probably should have some other configuration to provide traction for motorcyclists. Maybe sand-entrained in them to provide better grip?

I agree w/the snowmobile outerwear tip. I bought the most-flexible hockey gloves I could find, they have inner Thinsulate gloves and do a great job of keeping me warm & dry when the temp drops (yes, we do get some cold days in south FL). Heated any clothing has got to be better than not-heated. Maybe time for that stator enhanced-output model?

For vision enhancement, ditch the H-D 'all-Men in Black' look. Conspicuous colors, and you would be amazed at the difference in visibility from such a simple thing as wearing a white helmet compared to a black one. See for yourself next time you're riding. You can distinguish a white helmet from hundreds of yards away, but a black one fades into the background, and is nearly impossible to see clearly.

I'm interested to see what others recommend.

I suggest one of those high frequency headlight and taillight modules, those things make even a texting teenage female stop texting for a moment behind the wheel.

I use Kolpin atv bar mitts with Oxford heated grips. I also have a heated liner from cycle gear that worked one day, but not the next. I'll be investigating that. With bar mitt and heated grips, I can just wear my held air 'n dry gloves and feel pretty good. They are dual chamber gloves with a perforated palm or a gore text liner all in one. I love them. The bar mitts are bulky, but they hold the warmth from the grips and keep the wind off my hands. The worst for me is that even though I have a pin-lock visor, my glasses will still fog. Haven't found a real solution for that yet.

How far is your drive to work Lotsokids?

Almost 7 miles.

I also entertained thoughts of some sort of swimming snorkel or tube to put in my mouth and exit behind my neck or something to keep my breath out of the helmet to cut down on faceshield fogging.

Here are some gloves that I bought several years back, that have done pretty well. I have used them to ride about 2 hrs to go see some friends of mine. Its all highway so speeds 70+. Ive ridden down into the low 30's.

When I got home, my hands were cold.....but not the numb cold so you cant feel your fingers cold.

http://www.revzilla.com/snow/arctiva-mechanized-gloves

Attachments

• Mech4GloveInsulatedBlackFront_detail.jpg
    Mech4GloveInsulatedBlackFront_detail.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 12
Almost 7 miles.

I also entertained thoughts of some sort of swimming snorkel or tube to put in my mouth and exit behind my neck or something to keep my breath out of the helmet to cut down on faceshield fogging.

DUDE!!!! THIS is a great idea!!!!

Almost 7 miles.

Turn it upside down and tuck it in your jacket. This way it will protect your lungs from cold air.

I spent a few years in Dallas back in the 90's without any form of transportation EXCEPT a motorcycle, and I HATED riding in the cold weather! It takes ALL of the enjoyment out of it for me, my fingers would get cold no matter what type of gloves I tried (couldn't afford heated grips at the time.) I just don't get it, I'll wait until spring! LOL!!! :biglaugh:

I spent 10 weeks in Anchorage and holy $%^& the wind cuts through you. I would take any advice Shover gives.

I almost never ride when it's below about 35-40 F but even so I dress appropriately.
Layers, layers, and more layers, that's the key to staying warm IMO.
I have a pair of Snow boarding pants that fit over my jeans (with thermals under them) and a extra winter liner under my quilt lined jacket with a thermal shirt and sweat shirt and good winter gloves.
I also have a fleece neck warp that goes up into my full face helmet that helps quite a bit.
And I wear 2 pairs of good hunting socks and my motorcycle boots.

Last edited:
Turn it upside down and tuck it in your jacket. This way it will protect your lungs from cold air.

I assumed this was how it would need to be so it didn't drip/freeze from condensation and stuff. I'm gonna try this next time I'm out. I might even use it when it's just cool and/or humid. My glasses fog all the time.

I assumed this was how it would need to be so it didn't drip/freeze from condensation and stuff. I'm gonna try this next time I'm out. I might even use it when it's just cool and/or humid. My glasses fog all the time.

Scoring a nebulizer mask works well too.

Has anybody installed dirt bike type brush guards over their grips to reduce wind?

The newer dualsport bikes have these with integrated LED turn signals and look better than some of the clear HD type deflectors that are available.

I haven't done this yet, but agree that getting your hands warm is key.

Also, a neck gator is important for cold weather riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to ride 27 mi. to work up in the Adirondack Mtns. No exposed skin, layered clothing, a one piece sno mobile suit and good gloves (preferably heated) worked really well.

Gotta be careful tho, there's no traction and the tires are hard as bricks! Also, they didn't use all the salt, crystals & liquid, that they do now....that shit adds a whole new danger! I wouldn't even consider putting a bike out on that these days!

Has anybody installed dirt bike type brush guards over their grips to reduce wind?

The newer dualsport bikes have these with integrated LED turn signals and look better than some of the clear HD type deflectors that are available. Tapatalk

I'm using these...
http://www.amazon.com/Kolpin-92185-...=1453302281&sr=8-1&keywords=kolpin+geartector

Ugly for sure, but with a couple easy mods, they work great. 3 minutes on/off. I would strongly consider some bark busters, though.

I wonder what works best or what is worth investing.
Heated grips, hand guards or really good gloves.
I never tried either options. Just know that I have that problem with getting really cold hands.

Latest posts

Back