winter storage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr. Max#235

Reaction score
hey guys,
What's the preferred way to store the MAX for winter. Since this will be the first winter for me, i was thinking of simply changing the oil, filling the tank and adding some stabilizer, connecting the battery to a trickle charger and throw a cover over it and let her nap til spring. it'll be in a double garage built under the house. i'm a little leary of draining the carbs and pulling the plugs and adding a bit of oil because ah, well, i don't know how.
confused24.gif

any info would be appreciated.
________
Sweetpenelope1

Last edited:
Don't drain your carbs. Just fill the tank, put some Seafoam or Stabil in there and run the bike for a few minutes. Then, every couple of days turn the key on to keep the float bowls full. If you have a gel maintenance free battery then no need for a charger. Give you bike a good wash, cover the ends of the exhaust with a bag/rubber band, cover the bike and you're done!

Mark

Don't drain your carbs. Just fill the tank, put some Seafoam or Stabil in there and run the bike for a few minutes. Then, every couple of days turn the key on to keep the float bowls full. If you have a gel maintenance free battery then no need for a charger. Give you bike a good wash, cover the ends of the exhaust with a bag/rubber band, cover the bike and you're done!

Mark

You guys need to keep a close eye on what this dude is saying.

I don't know if I trust him all that much with the Max fuel system!

Gospel brother...gospel!

Just Playin' Mark ;)

:rofl_200:

Neil

lol.

Neil, I'm going to take something off on one of your carbs....let's see if you can find it. :)

Mooahahah!

Mark

I do just as Maleko said but I do use a Battery Tender which isn't a trickle charger but instead is an active charger and keeps an eye on the battery only feeding it when it needs it.

Battery's last a LOT longer if taken care of. Even the gel cells...

:thumbs up:

Oh and Seafoam is the only way to go... Say NO to Stabil...

The PC680 doesn't need a charger since there is so very little loss. I've had it sitting for 2 months last winter and it started just like new in March. My battery is going on 5 years now. IMHO

Mark

I used to put my maxim on it's center stand as well. I figure the less weight on the shocks and tires the better. I'd pull the battery and put it in the basement. I also would bring the seat inside just on the off chance the mice or red squirrles wake up find their way into the garage and feel like chewing.

Maybe I should pre-fill his bowls with blinker fluid? Bowls, not bowels.

Mark

thanks for the input guys.
two things though.... how much seafoam should i put into the full tank before storing?
also can i run this stuff in the tank once every couple of months just to keep things clean or will it harm engine componets if used to often?
________
condominiums Pattaya

Last edited:
thanks for the input guys.
two things though.... how much seafoam should i put into the full tank before storing?
also can i run this stuff in the tank once every couple of months just to keep things clean or will it harm engine componets if used to often?

You can use seafoam often without worry...also, Chevron with Techron has many of the same properties.

:cheers:

Neil

thanks again guys.
how about antifreeze.
is the Prestone Pre-Mix ok to add to the Max's rad or is there something better out there. i've just checked under the tank and she's a liitle low. having just recently bought the bike, i'm still feeling my way around it.
with input from this forum, who needs a the bike manual
cheers
:cheers:
________
Bong Reviews

Last edited:
Look at the Honda pre-mix. It's good stuff. I use Toyota factory red....very good but a little pricey.

Mark

Oh trust me get a Clymer manual. You start by thinking I'm just gonna fill here or drain this then next thing you know it's 3am and you have your carbs in pieces.
:whistlin:

Bike storage

It's a sad day gentlemen!!!!! I have to put my bike away for the winter. I would like to drain the carbs and cant find anything online about how to do it. (looking for a few pointers)! Also I hear conflicting stories about leaving the dirty oil in during storage and some tell me I should change the oil and filter! :confused2:

Thanks
Greg

Re: Bike storage

It's a sad day gentlemen!!!!! I have to put my bike away for the winter. I would like to drain the carbs and cant find anything online about how to do it. (looking for a few pointers)! Also I hear conflicting stories about leaving the dirty oil in during storage and some tell me I should change the oil and filter! :confused2:

Thanks
Greg

I don't store my stuff with old oil... It's acidic and will actually cause rusting. I usually over fill the crankcase with cheap cheap 10w40 oil that is non energy conserving:thumbs up:

Re: Bike storage

Thanks
Greg

Don't drain your carbs. Put Stabilizer in tank after filling up and run for a few minutes. Turn key every few days to keep float bowls full.

Mark

is there a way to shut the fuel pump down,,and run the bike untill the carbs empty..pump that throttle untill the bike die

Latest posts

Back