Wiring colours ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidecarjohn

Reaction score
OK, accept that electrical stuff requires a qualification in witchcraft, but sometimes I do reasonable. However, two issues have led to some elderly self doubts. The bike has US spec wiring.

The first results from a previous owner wiring in twin warning lights to supplement the standard single warning light. He preferred something that identified right and left. Sadly, but predictably, somrvariation from Yamaha's colour code. As it stands I've opted to remove this amendment to simplify matters. Unfortunately, cannot get things functioning correctly despite multiple tries.

Second dilemma, some confusion of the wiring associated with the indicators. For example, BLACK appears to serve several functions. As far as I can determine, one at the headlamp end, but 2 at the rear of the bike. Then there's BLUE shown on circuit diagrams seemingly connecting left and right indicator lamps. GREEN looks to be involved with the left indicator and the standard warning light. And is the BROWN for the left ? In every sense of the word, I'm approaching desperation

Any help appreciated.
:bang head:

Already checked them out Sean. Despite studying several versions, including the Haynes coloured ones, not progressing. The issue is primarily the indicator circuit.

OK, accept that electrical stuff requires a qualification in witchcraft, but sometimes I do reasonable. However, two issues have led to some elderly self doubts. The bike has US spec wiring.

The first results from a previous owner wiring in twin warning lights to supplement the standard single warning light. He preferred something that identified right and left. Sadly, but predictably, somrvariation from Yamaha's colour code. As it stands I've opted to remove this amendment to simplify matters. Unfortunately, cannot get things functioning correctly despite multiple tries.

Second dilemma, some confusion of the wiring associated with the indicators. For example, BLACK appears to serve several functions. As far as I can determine, one at the headlamp end, but 2 at the rear of the bike. Then there's BLUE shown on circuit diagrams seemingly connecting left and right indicator lamps. GREEN looks to be involved with the left indicator and the standard warning light. And is the BROWN for the left ? In every sense of the word, I'm approaching desperation

Any help appreciated.
:bang head:

Hi John -
I'm assuming "warning" lights is British for Yamaha's "running" or "position" lights.
Where did the P.O. put the extra running lights? Do you mean he put in double filament turn signal/running lights at the back of the bike?
In any event, black wires are ground (earth)
Green is R.H. turn signal feed, front and rear.
Brown is L.H. " " " " " "
Blue is RH & LH running lights feed front only, and taillights feed.
The Blue feed wire is always powered up with the ignition on, but also when the ignition switch is in the "park" position(key can be removed), so that the front running lights and the tailight bulbs are lit.
Hope this helps Cheers!

Thanks Miles,
By warning lights, I mean the PO fitted two small dash lights, each indicating that either left, or right are active. This in addition to the original tank top flash indicator.

As there are a few considerations relating to checking the wiring to the sidecar I probably need to approach things systematically. The thing possibly causing some confusion is the confusion of black with a dark brown. Still, it's a new day, so deep breath.

Cheers Miles.

Thanks Miles,
By warning lights, I mean the PO fitted two small dash lights, each indicating that either left, or right are active. This in addition to the original tank top flash indicator.

As there are a few considerations relating to checking the wiring to the sidecar I probably need to approach things systematically. The thing possibly causing some confusion is the confusion of black with a dark brown. Still, it's a new day, so deep breath.

Cheers Miles.

Thanks for clearing up my confusion! (about the warning lights)
Was the dual warning light addition part of the P.O.'s attempt to deal with problems related to LED flasher installation?
Have you seen the schematic for this, or read the thread? If not, I'll try to locate. If I remember, the dual light arrangement negates the need for diodes when just using the single "tank top flash indicator"

Problem resolved. Details on my other thread, Led Indicators.

Thanks to those providing guidance and respected contributions.

Latest posts

Back