Wiring front LED signals and rear Clear Alternative integrated brake light/signals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teambft

Reaction score
Wired the signals up and they just flash versus individually signal.
Any thoughts?
Fronts are the basic LEDs and I wired hot to hot, ground to ground and didn't use the blue (running light) and they both flash at the same time regardless of using left or right turn signal switch.

Same in the back.

Rear not quite sure what to wire the grounds to since the rear light comes with only one wire for each signal. Do I run the Vmax ground wires to the frame bolted someplace.

Anyhow, thanks for any advice!

Re: Wiring front LED signals and rear Clear Alternative integrated brake light/signal

If your rears have only 1 lead, then that's hot obviously, and the signal for the ground is through the frame and attachment of the turn signal to the bike. Better figure out some-sort of ground from the light housing to the frame, if you're using the rubber vibration isolators.

You have to replicate the stock load on the elec. system for the lights to work. They sell resistors that you use for the LED's to make that happen.

Re: Wiring front LED signals and rear Clear Alternative integrated brake light/signal

Thanks for the info!! It looks as though I need to install a couple diodes to the indicator light behind the gauge cluster since this bike only has one indicator light. Apparently that prevents all signals flashing at once. Anyhow, will keep pluggin away. Thanks again!!

Thanks for the info!! It looks as though I need to install a couple diodes to the indicator light behind the gauge cluster since this bike only has one indicator light. Apparently that prevents all signals flashing at once. Anyhow, will keep pluggin away. Thanks again!!

I'm not sure about diodes yet, but 1st you've got to balance the load with a resistor to closely match the resistance of the original OEM circuit. Or the factory flasher won't work right. Flasher/directionall circuit resistance is much less with all LED'S.

When I installed LEDs mine would act like flashers too. End up putting resistors on each signal & problem went away. I think there is an LED flasher relay that you can install instead of resistors, but I'm not 100% sure though

Unplug the bulb for the indicator. If the 4-way flashing stops, you know that it can be fixed with diodes. Removing the bulb removes the path that allows the voltage to bleed over from one side to the other.

Chances are they will blink fast but, left/right function will be fixed.
You will need a different flasher to fix the rate. OR....Install resistors and no need for diodes and no need for a flasher.

Before you did the mod, I'ts safe to assume that your turn signals worked as they should.
With that in mind, IF you did the mod and now your turn signal flashes right and left together, then you would have to have the wrong wire connected behind the head lamp and or the passenger seat. When people do the LED mod, they might find that when they push the switch to the left or right, they see that the bulb does go on, on one side of the bike, but does not flash (to the human eye). This happens because the flasher relay circuit need a certain amount of resistance from an incandescent bulb. That's the way it was designed. Now that we have LED's which draws much less current, the circuit flashes so fast that we perceive the on/off cycle as being ON. So the easy fix to put a load resister to mimic the current draw from the old style bulb. The harder method is to replace the relay with a LED style relay. Sorry to the rant :).. Anyway, going by your description, when you flip the switch, left or right, ALL BULBS light up with no flash and no indication of left vs right. I would undo all connections made behind the head lamp and under the passenger seat. Then test each circuit to see what energizes when you signal the turn. once you know that everything is acting as it should, then introduce the LED. If you find that it does light when it should, but does not flash, then you know you'll just need the load resistors. I put the multi SMD LED bulb in place of the stock bulb on mine. No problems, no load resistor either, but then again, I did not have to change the lamp stems, so there was no wiring needed.
You stated
Wired the signals up and they just flash versus individually signal. Fronts are the basic LEDs and I wired hot to hot, ground to ground and didn't use the blue (running light) and they both flash at the same time regardless of using left or right turn signal switch.
Are you sure that the blue was your running lights? They might be your left / right circuit.

I am running 4 Rizoma led turnsignals and have 4 Rizoma supplied resistors connected on the rear signals, none on the front. They flash at the stock rate and the auto cancel works as factory setup does.

Latest posts

Back