With new Gen2s available for $15K or less, at what point is it better to buy new?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheFleshRocket

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is a spinoff of my other thread. I've been shopping pretty hard for a Gen2. I've found '10s listed for as little as $11K and I've seen several low-mile '14s go for around $12K on Ebay. It kind of seems like a no brainer--a '14 for $12K makes better sense than a '10 for $11K, since the '14 probably has a little warranty left and will depreciate more slowly than the '10.

But then there are dealers advertising new, 0-mile '14s for $14,999, and there's one dealer that sold a new '14 for under $14K. (He doesn't have any more in stock, and no guarantee of getting any more, but it shows that really aggressive pricing is possible.) Sure, tax, title and license would add $1000 to the cost of the new bike, making it $15-$16K out the door, but even a used '14 is going to have $600 or so of TTL, making it be at least $12.5K.

Of course this is subject to each person's buying power, but for someone who's a perpetual deal hunter (like myself), at what dollar amount does it make better sense to buy a new '14 over a used '14 or earlier bike? And if a '10 was $10K instead of $11K, how would that affect things?

Another $1000 for a 3 year newer bike... no brainer. Oil problem on the 10 would be enough to make me want a 11 and up model anyways. I am not into the Gen 2 , so I am not sure how much of the oil problem is a concern, but my luck, I would have major issues lol!

Warranty is nice. But now a days it seems like warranty means shit. I am going off of Diesel truck mentality here. Oh.... whats that you put an air filter in..... oh thats why the motor took a shit... no warranty sorry. Oh wait..... you put a muffler on the it? Oh thats why the motor blew.... sorry no warranty...

So from what I ve seen happen to people who have to fight big time for warranty claims and we aren't talking a $100 part claim, but major components like engines and transmissions, I dont put alot of faith into warranties as much as I used to.

SOOOO...... I look at it as for the extra $4000 your saving, there you have a warranty..... If you break something use the $4000 to fix it. Motorcycle warranty? I am not sure if I even know what one is. For those that barely ride 5,000 miles a year, screw it. You aren't ever going to break anything anyways because your bike sits in the garage. But for those that put 30,000 miles on a year, maybe a warranty might not be that bad.

Your talking to the guy that will spend $100 in gas to save $100 in my cost of purchasing something ;)

BTW how is the Speed Triple? I ve been looking at those for years always wanting one to play with. Just worried it wouldnt be fast enough to sooth my tastes. But figured it might wheelie enough to make up for it. :)

Ok... back to the original post, but the 14 low mile you see for $12K, save your cash and spend in on tires or gas.

My answer from the other forum:

On a new bike you need to ask the dealer what the out-the-door price really is and have them guarantee there will be no extras.

There are many new VMax's advertised very low but they are not describing all of the "extras" they will hit you with when closing the deal. It's a very common practice with motorcycle dealers.

A dealer is not going to sell a new bike at or below their cost unless it has been sitting for a while and they want to turn it over.They are certainly not going to out and get you one for a price like that.

As far as used goes.....I wouldn't think twice about buying a clean used one, they are built to run a very long time.

The factory warranty/or extended warranty is nice to have, but frankly I know of very few people having to use it. The one person who comes to mind already had 60K miles on the bike and it was a fairly minor repair. There have been a few instances of fork seal replacements under warranty, but that's about all I can think of.

To be ultra safe you may want to avoid a bike that falls under the oil pump recall unless there is very good documentation that it was done correctly.

I would be more concerned with getting one that is clean, maybe has some mods that I like (mods are expensive), and is the color that I want.

BTW how is the Speed Triple? I ve been looking at those for years always wanting one to play with. Just worried it wouldnt be fast enough to sooth my tastes. But figured it might wheelie enough to make up for it. :)

Ok... back to the original post, but the 14 low mile you see for $12K, save your cash and spend in on tires or gas.

The Speed Triple is a fun bike. It's a little lacking in outright power but it makes up for it with tons of torque everywhere in the powerband. It does well for commuting, hooliganism, and backroads--just realize that 600s will pull away from you once you get over 100mph or so. I don't know if I'd be happy with it as my only bike, but I definitely enjoy having it in my stable for those days that I'm not worried about trying to go 140mph.

Of course there aren't any $12K '14s on Ebay now, so I might be waiting a while for another one to come up.

How big of a concern is the oil issue? I thought all of the affected bikes were supposed to be fixed under a recall, and that once done, it should be fine.

Thanks!

My answer from the other forum:
On a new bike you need to ask the dealer what the out-the-door price really is and have them guarantee there will be no extras.
There are many new VMax's advertised very low but they are not describing all of the "extras" they will hit you with when closing the deal. It's a very common practice with motorcycle dealers.

Very good point. The dealer that was selling the new '14 for under $14K said that if he was able to get any more from Yamaha at the price he paid, he'd sell them at the same price. I haven't called any of the other dealers to see if they've got any other fees (freight, doc fees, assembly fees, etc) that will be tacked on past the advertised price.

Very good point. The dealer that was selling the new '14 for under $14K said that if he was able to get any more from Yamaha at the price he paid, he'd sell them at the same price. I haven't called any of the other dealers to see if they've got any other fees (freight, doc fees, assembly fees, etc) that will be tacked on past the advertised price.
Add ons are allways a way that dealers make their money back. But, it never hurts to check with them. I was in the search for the perfect gen. 2, but got sidetracked after an accident (still plan on purchasing one in the next year or so). Instead I purchased a 2014 can am spyder RT to enjoy on long rides and with my wife. I normally purchase used to save money, but I came across a deal that was over $5k below msrp, and cheaper than most used bikes. I did a little research and checked out the dealer. After contacting them, they said that the price listed was their out the door price. I took the deal to 3 local dealers and asked them to match the price, and I would go $1k above that price. Not one would bite. I puchased the spyder from the dealership that was over 1500 miles away. They arranged shipping ($875) and it was delivered to me with a full tank of gas, 60 day tags, and a surprise of an additional 2 year warrenty.
What I am saying is, it never hurts to ask, just do your research.

I would assume the title would say, 'rebuilt,' if he got an insurance payoff on it.

Definitely not touching any bikes that need work--thanks for the suggestion, though.

If this particular seller would fix the use and not mention the crash, I bet he would get more for the bike than the repairs cost, if they are as minor as he says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one was posted before.

I've got the fender, the side cover, the muffler, and the radiator covers....in stock.

Bike is not worth $9300.....IMO. You can buy one without damage for 10K and up.

Should be priced around $8500....then he might get some offers.

Thats why I figured $8000 for an offer.

$8000 seems like a fair offering.

Actually I would go right to $7500 and go from there... probably end up at $8250.

Latest posts

Back