Wobble gone. Here comes the SHAKE!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irtron

Reaction score
I got a set of All Balls head bearings and finally replaced the worn bits in my 1994 Vmax with much help of the forum wizardry. Thanks guys, really appreciate that.

Before that I had to tighten the head slightly to tackle the wobble I was struggling with at >100mph with no or partial load (luggage only). Pillion passenger helped to stabilise the bike so there was no wobble with full load at any speed. A bit of a head shake around 40 on an uneven tarmac felt rather normal to me.

Now the central steering 'notch' is gone, so the high speed wobble.
Last night I tried 125 on a motorway - not a hint of instability. It feels like on a high speed rail track.

45 mph is a different story though. I removed my left hand to adjust the visor for a half a second. That was enough to develop a full scale shake in a matter of just two or three oscillations. And that was a smooth rural road. The handlebar hit my left wrist rather bad when I tried to catch the grip at once. That was definitely a new experience.

So there is no magic I suppose.

You either have a sharp cut through the dense air thickened by the speed and fight the beast a bit when it's yet to release its full power,

Or a scare of the wavy scenery oncoming from left and right when you're doing 50 metres per second.

I think I'd go for the former.

Low speed wobble can usually be fixed by tightening the bearings a bit. That's the first thing I would check

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

How have I not seen that video yet. My max has had the wobble since i got it and I can tell when it sets on a smooth surface the bars drop very hard so I am sure this is my issue as well.

Thanks DMAN for posting and Sean for making the video!

Latest posts

Back