Won Lotto? Prove your driving skills, buy this.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I have to-say, watching this video of a pro driver in this car for-sale made me worn-out. This particular car series, in stock condition, was one I always liked for its design. I well-recall these being sold in the showrooms, where Chrysler since 1967 was the owner of the Rootes Group, which built (in the U.K.) and sold (in the USA) the Sunbeam Alpine and the Sunbeam Tiger.

Both the Sunbeam Tiger and the Ford Shelby AC Cobra used the new thinwall-casting V-8 of 260 c.i. The Tiger, with a high power-to-weight ratio (as-in 'high-power to low-weight') and a short wheelbase, with a compromised steering gearbox placement in the Tiger, resulted in a car which required a deft touch to make it perform well. This car, with a more-powerful engine, and extensive modifications to everything as it was built to be a track vehicle/racer, from its first sale, and not a road-going car, will either prove your skills at handling a difficult car, or cause you to wad a very-expensive relic of a 1960's origin race-car, with a proven history of racetrack success and vintage display as a dynamic, not static performance piece.

In the video, see how-many gears the driver uses, and how he keeps it pointed down the exit from the turns, as he hits the straightaways. The race picture below gives you a hint as-to how you'll be busy piloting this car. Note the Porsche is behind him. That appears to be a Group 6 car next-to the Porsche, on the inside line, to-me it appears to resemble a Ferrari P3, but I'm not-sure.

Interestingly, once Chrysler bought the Rootes Group, including Sunbeam, they were then selling a Ford-engined car in the Mopar showrooms!

One of my older brothers had a Comet Caliente convertible, which came with the 260 V-8 and a 4-speed, which I got to drive as a young driver, recently licensed. Ford also made a marine version of the 260 V-8, a couple of my friends have a Century twin-cockpit wood-hulled runabout using that as the powerplant. It has a glorious sound, almost like a Ford 239 c.i. flathead (remember the Beach Boys' L'il Deuce Coupe lyrics). Remember, Mad Max ran a Ford Interceptor.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-sunbeam-tiger-race-car/
Video at Goodwood U.K.:

sunbeam_tiger_monster_1965.02.jpgsunbeam_tiger_monster_1965.01.jpgsunbeam_tiger_monster_reyes_tiger_fraser_289_v_gp_pto_de_la_cruz_1969.jpg

Latest posts

Back