Won't Crank Over

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Klay

Reaction score
2009 Gen2 42K miles
I had this happen 2 times and looking for some input. Since the old StarVmax site seems to be gone, i can't search there. At least for now we can all work together here, hopefully that knowledge can get here..

A few weeks ago on a 2200 mile trip, after a gas stop I hit the starter and NOTHING. After several attempts and double checking everything. Kick stand UP in N clutch in.. Nothing. Rolled the bike over to a safe spot.. A few more tries and nothing. My buddy comes over and on this 3rd press it cranks and starts and all good for the rest of the trip and probably a 100+ starts without issue.

This past weekend out on a day ride. All is good.. Got gas, started the bike moved it to a parking spot. 10 Minutes later try to start it.. NOTHING. Same as above, all correct. Kick stand up, In N, clutch in.. Maybe 20 pushes to the starter.. Nothing.. Got a push to bump start it.. NOTHING. [see note below] In desperation pushed the starter and she spun and started.. And was fine the rest of the day.. Maybe 10 starts. No Problem..

Anyone had this happen?? It is so intermittent i have no idea where to start looking.

NOTE: I did email with Tim Nash who was GREAT getting back to me. He was not surprised that the bump start did not work. He said if the engine is not spinning at some RPM it won't start. Anyone try to bump start a Gen2??

2009 Gen2 42K miles
I had this happen 2 times and looking for some input. Since the old StarVmax site seems to be gone, i can't search there. At least for now we can all work together here, hopefully that knowledge can get here..

Welcome to the forum, I don’t have a gen2 but I’ll assure you, we all work together here and someone with a fix will chime in and get you going. Enjoy this forum like the rest of us have, hopefully you get both your problems fixed

Check your switches for loose connection, or possibly a faulty switch. A few have had loose connection on the side stand, and the red kill switch on the right hand controls was faulty. Could possibly be the starter solenoid, or the starter button.

Back