Won't shift past 3rd gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello I have a 92 Yamaha VMAX 1200 and it was working great for a while. Sure it had a few issues like needing the carbs synched and a tuneup when I bought it. But it would shift gears perfectly fine without any issue other than every once in a while I would try to shift and it would still be in the same gear and then would shift after attempting to shift again. But randomly it started to not shift at all past third gear. I can shift it down from neutral to first,then second, then third, and when I try to shift up again it feels like it's at the top of its gears and there's no more gears to shift up to. No click or anything. Like for instance if you were to shift up to fifth gear and try to shift again, that is exactly how it feels for me when I am in third gear trying to shift to Fourth. Shortly after it doing this it stopped starting all together. I don't even know where to start on fixing it. I have a lot of experience with working on cars but little to no experience with motorcycles. If anybody has any suggestions that would be greatly appreciated

Consider adding your location under your screen name, someone local to you may be of-assistance.

Your shift segment may have spit its pins. Not an expensive fix but the engine side cover has to come-off.
1992 Yamaha V-MAX 1200 (VMX12D) Shift Cam Fork | Ron Ayers Parts #4-9, 14

You will probably get the upgraded one, as its design was modified during the production run. When you open it up, be sure to account for all the pins, you don't want one interfering with a gearset and causing you $$$$ repairs, or a new (used) engine.

"It stopped starting... ." Spark, compression, gas. Does it turn-over? But not start? Does it not turn-over? Check the starter button, ensure that it's not sticking. Check the sidestand switch to ensure that its plunger is not sticking, and that it moves fully-throughout its range of motion.

Is the battery charged?

Check the ground by the oil filler side cover case screw. Shiny-bright. That's a start. Report back.

Email Sean Morley [email protected] for getting the new shift segment, once you've opened it up to find that needs replacement. He can sell you what you need, and will be a source of information to answer any questions you have.

Last edited:
At the time it doesn't want to shift, you might try pushing down lightly to see if the shift linkage stuck.

I had an XS11000 with an abused transmission, and it would not shift up into 3rd gear. I found the linkage was sticking in the up position. At first I replaced the restoring spring...but the problem persisted. Eventually, I found the shift shaft that supports to the shift lever was bent. After I replaced that shaft, the problem was gone.

BTW, The bike will not start if it is in gear and kickstand is down.

I'll check into the shift segment. The engine does turn over but no ignition at all. It's not fuel, and the battery is charged, spark plugs are new. Not sure about the compression. Come to think of it, it stopped starting when I took the side covers off to look at the gears. I'm pretty sure I put everything back together right (once I realized I didn't know what exactly I was looking at haha) and with new gaskets.. I am on my third ignition solenoid now as well. I think it might be the coils because I tested the plugs and I barely saw a little spark when I cranked it

Sounds like you pinched a wire on the pickup coil (bolted to the backside of the stator cover). If it is bad or not creating the correct ohm resistance it will not create the momentary ground to trigger the CDI box and it will not start.

Hey guys, so I finally decided to tear the bike apart and y'all were right. It's definitely the shift segment
Glad you I.D.'ed the issue for one problem.

Don't forget to add your location below your screen name, for local help, or perhaps a riding partner or partners.

Glad you found the issue. Upgrading the segment is a worthwhile upgrade for early gen 1's. Somewhere in the 90's the factory did it for you.
where do you get the upgraded part from? is the oem one an upgrade or someone is making them.

Back