Won't start after sitting for the winter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hmm, where do I start. This is my first spring with a Vmax. It doesn't even appear to want to start. I got it to hit a time or two and one backfire, but nothing after that. I didn't put any stabilizer in, just filled the tank with premium before putting it up for the winter.

I tried searching, and browsed a bunch, but don't see much help.

Is your battery good and strong, to turn it over good. Check filters, gas and air. Maybe a mouse built a nest in your exhaust or air filter. Fuel pump clicking, filling up your carb? I cycle mine several times to be sure. Any issues before you put it away?

I take it you are talking about your '93 Gen I.

We will need more info before we can really pitch in and help:

How long did it sit?

How did it run before you put it away for the winter?

Does it crank as fast as last season?

The most likely culprit is bad fuel - since the stuff we can purchase has ethanol in it. It probably separated and your carbs are full of nasty stuff.

First this to do is drain the carbs and fuel tank and try again with new fuel.

If it starts then you will need to take some steps to trying and get your carbs working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take it you are talking about your '93 Gen I.

We will need more info before we can really pitch in and help:

How long did it sit?

How did it run before you put it away for the winter?

Does it crank as fast as last season?

The most likely culprit is bad fuel - since the stuff we can purchase has ethanol in it. It probably separated and your carbs are full of nasty stuff.

First this to do is drain the carbs and fuel tank and try again with new fuel.

Just went out to the shed...Vboost cycles, but no fuel pump click; will look for the fuse/relay when I get back from our Easter outing I may have shorted something when lifting the coils to attach the charger lead to the port in the battery.

If it starts then you will need to take some steps to trying and get your carbs working correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It ran okay before the end of the season...not perfect, but I haven't had it run perfect for more than a week since I've owned it...I need to send my carbs to Dannymax. I think it was November when I put it away; may have been early December, since I don't remember us having a big November storm last year. I can't put my bikes away until I put my snowblower on my tractor, as they share the same spot, and I can't put my snowblower on the tractor until the da&* leaves quit falling!

Cranks like crazy; I have a Shorai battery with their battery charger/tender. I'll drain the tank and carbs and add some seafoam before trying again.

Time to pull the carbs and clean em. Even with stabilizer and locally available ethanol free gas i still have to clean my carbs each year.

So what are the volts of the battery sitting, with the headlight on, but not trying to start? It needs to be above 12.55.

No clicks when I switch back and forth from on to reserve. The bike is in the shed, so I'll just wait until it gets warmer to pull it out and trouble shoot. I have 3 motorcycles in my shed, so there isn't much room to maneuver. I took the Harley for a short ride to safisfy my need to get a quick ride in on a 60 degree day. The manual says to start the engine and check the voltage of the fuel pump relay...can't do that, but I can check the resistance of the fuel pump when I get around to getting it out of the shed. All fuses look good visually, but once again, haven't checked continuity on them with a meter. Another day...sigh.

Back