Wont turn over, unsure what direction to look next

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1two

Reaction score
Hi all...picked up an 88 this summer and have been loving it. Up to this point it was running perfectly fine but now I am not sure what to look into as a next step. Been through a bunch of the starting issues threads here but still unsure.

The other day I went to the gas station, threw some gas in it, and it was really struggling to turn over. At first I thought it was a battery issue because it would start to crank and then just die down. I sat for about 10 minutes and tried again and it fired right up. Came home, put it in the garage and tried to start it again and it was really struggling to turn over again. Took it out the next day and it was fine...came home and it did the same thing, wouldn't turn over after I shut it down again.

Now it wont turn over at all, not even a little. I had the battery tested, and it's fine. I checked all the fuses and they are fine. I put a screwdriver across the connectors on the starter relay and it's getting a spark/the lights go out but it doesn't turn over. Also, I'm getting a click under the seat as I've seen mentioned in other threads talking about starting issues.

I'm pretty mechanically capable but just don't have the knowledge of what to look for next. Carbs or something else?

One other thing, and this could be my imagination/ignorance. I feel like when I turn the key it's missing a few sounds I used to hear...I feel like there were some additional "clicks" before (I think the previous owner told me it was cycling the carbs or something like that). Not sure if I'm remembering wrong or if that might be an indicator of something.

Thanks for any help!

Was the battery tested for load? Or just volts? A lot of times you can have great voltage on a battery but when the amps get drawn they crap out.
2nd thing I would look for is clean all your grounds. 3rd would be the contacts in the kill switch and start button and the connections on the starter.

This is a Load pro for a multimeter.
Best frigin electrical circuit tool I've ever bought. Between that and my Power Probe, Shit gets fixed damn quick.

Attachments

• 20200926_182343.jpg
    20200926_182343.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 9
When you turn they key on you should hear the fuel pump cycle and the vboost servo motor cycle. Of course if the bowls are full you wont here the fuel pump cycle anymore.

There is also a kickstand switch and clutch lever switch that are part of the starter circuit.
Those are easy to eliminate with a jumper wire to get them out of the equation.

Assuming the battery has been load tested and is OK then and as you have jumped the starter relay terminals and the motor doesn't turn over that is where I would start.
The problem you describe with the hot start is a known issue with the two brush starters (marked SM-229C) which can be fine when cold but a right !*^%?!!! when hot.
Once you have the starter out and dismantled I would replace the brushes as a matter of course.
Also check the commutator to check that it is not badly worn, scored or burnt. Also ensure that the mica separators are below the level of the bars.
Have a look here which will also help sort the hot start problem.

The info 82nd and MaxMidnight gave is good stuff. I like the additional grounding point MM suggested, to help provide a better earthing.

Assuming that your battery has a good charge demonstrated under-load, the next thing I check is a good ground, then go from there. That's what's suggested by these guys.

Thanks all, it looks like it is in fact the battery. Retested myself under load and the battery is crapping out pretty hard. Picking up a new battery and will give it a go in the next couple days and hopefully that's my only issue!

Latest posts

Back