!!!Working fuel gauge, FOR REAL this time!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know if Ya Koso knockoff is also a 0-510 ohm or 0-100 ohm model for the fuel gauge wiring part of it? I will be placing an order tomorrow for a bendable 12" 2 wire. I think Sean made mention that he may be a dealer for the sending units or I may have misunderstood, but I'm gonna give him a call around 9 tomorrow and if he is a dealer, I'm gonna see how fast he can get me one as I will need it for next week. Have to pull the tank anyway to treat it with a 3 step system and replace that check valve coming off the tank. Perfect time for a little fuel gauge install.

Oh and you know I gotta ask where you got the dual light setup and the bodywork for Ya max. Thanks for the insight as the guy I talked to was telling me I should go with the 3 wire but seeing is believing and you pretty got the same gauge so I'm gonna give the 2 wire one a try.

I'll have the email to Ya by morning. Thanks again Sean. The guy from Centroid who emailed me back gave me some details for the bendable sender so I'll include that in the email also. And as always, much appreciated!

Thanks KJ. Gonna try prety much the same setup.

I went the season with it so far and had no issues with it. It was a gamble that payed off. $50 for the speedo and bikesponsors.com bought me the sending unit. You might say, I made out like a bandit. :eek:h yeah:

I'm happy to say that I got my fuel gauge setup working the way it should. The only difference between my setup and KJ's is that I had to also install a Fuel Gauge Wizard along with the sending unit. Three additional wires to wire in. One to the ignition, the sending unit, and the other to ground. But hey! It works now and that's what counts. Thanks for the help guys and special thanks go out to Sean for going the extra mile with Centroid.

I'm happy to say that I got my fuel gauge setup working the way it should. The only difference between my setup and KJ's is that I had to also install a Fuel Gauge Wizard along with the sending unit. Three additional wires to wire in. One to the ignition, the sending unit, and the other to ground. But hey! It works now and that's what counts. Thanks for the help guys and special thanks go out to Sean for going the extra mile with Centroid.

Pics??????

For those out there that are putting fuel gauges on their rides and/or using the china speedos w built in gauges or are trying to mate their fuel sending units to gauges another option is the Spida fuel gauge wizards.

Shipping is pretty damn fast considering it's coming from the UK, I got it in about a week. Totally programmable and works like a dream.

For only $62 for the new version (11/2015, Firmware 1/2016) it'd price friendly too. Definitely less expensive than this one, that actually looks alot like Spida's older version I was using (got it for $44.50, see picture below).

Attachments

• SDC10366.jpg
    SDC10366.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 64
Would we still have to drill our tanks to install other parts with that one, kj?

You're still going to have to install a sending unit to get the full range vs. a low level light, but now the worry of 500ohms, 0-30ohms and what not, virtually are no longer an issue.

A few years ago when I did mine, I never even took it out of the bike. I just put the vacuum on blow, sealed the nozzle in the filling neck, then used a hole saw to drill the hole. Gave the tank a quick flush, then installed the sending unit.

I figure from start to finish, the whole project wouldn't be more than a couple of hours. A little more if you're going to get fancy with the instrument cluster. My gauge at the time was built in to the speedo cluster, so I just had to run a wire, then program it all.

Sending unit wizard - $62
Sending unit - $75ish
Fuel gauge from $30
Knowing what's in the tank priceless. :)

I ended up using an $11 kz1300 gauge,from a salvage yard here and about a $26 GM gauge cluster just for the gas gauge from the parts store here, Advanced Auto Parts. It was easy to find the right gauge because I checked the ohms readings from the full to empty range on the sender. Looking online for my value range all sorts of gauges are available,the only restriction for this application being size. I went with chrome bezel ring to match the gauges in the new dash I had built. I had a donor tank to get the arc of the float just right to read the full volume of the 4 5/8ths gal tank im running and still have the reserve switch sending unit in the tank, thats where the work comes in.
Shown is how I sleeved the arm to allow for adjustment until I got it just right. I tig welded the final positioning on the arms. The wood shown in the donor tank next to the reserve represents the cut-out in my tank for the chain drive or in my case the offset gear housing.

Attachments

• 20150816_134237.jpg
    20150816_134237.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 86
  • IMAG0252.jpg
    IMAG0252.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMAG0260.jpg
    IMAG0260.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0267.jpg
    IMAG0267.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMAG0416.jpg
    IMAG0416.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMAG0442.jpg
    IMAG0442.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 73
  • PC130001.jpg
    PC130001.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 69
  • PC180013.jpg
    PC180013.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 68
Nice work, real clean.:punk: I'm a fan.

I used this sending unit. The 12" version then I trimmed it down. I was playing with bikesponsors.com and they bought it for me.

My speedo/tach cluster had the fuel gauge built in. Now that I'm changing the bike's dynamics, It's getting new instrumentation and now the fuel gauge will be in the triple cluster by the faux tank.

Attachments

• user1127_pic8537_1381300781.jpg
    user1127_pic8537_1381300781.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 66
  • SDC10368.JPG
    SDC10368.JPG
    186.6 KB · Views: 62
WOW your setup looks too sweet, Im a geek for gadget. What all do you have there in the operators quarters and where did you source the gauges.

Latest posts

Back