World Travels, now back on my V-Max / IGNITION QUESTION

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
Hey y'all. I've been gone a while travelling from my residence in Hungary to Mississippi, Athens, Greece, now back in Hungary. I'm scheduled to return to Mississippi soon again.
I received (but not installed yet) a new air filter. I took the advice to not get a jet kit. I'll just leave my carburetors as-is since I'm running stock down pipes.
Still drag racing it on a Hungarian track Apr 30 - May 1. :eusa_dance:

I rode my bike to work the last few days. I'm still having some problems with #3 cylinder. I believe it's ignition. It starts hesitating and popping a little. At idle, when it's running rough, I hold my thumb over #3's pipe (I have individual pipes, true 4-into-4). It seems like it tends to suck very slightly sometimes. I know a bad valve can do that, but what if that cylinder is not firing properly? Will that have the same effect?
It does not act like this 100% of the time. Maybe a couple times per week. It's never done this at the track. Riding home from work yesterday it ran perfectly and pulled VERY hard on acceleration. A bad valve would cause it to run poorly ALL the time. Carbs have been cleaned, set, and synced. Accomplished the "shotgun" procedure also.
If I do some research, I could probably find a way to test the coil's resistance with a multimeter. When I bought the bike, #3 coil input wire had been pulled apart. I joined it back together, and it worked. Mostly, I guess. Not sure if that's connected (figuratively or literally) to my problem.
The search feature on this site does not work well for me for some reason. Very random stuff comes up, but usually not what I'm looking for.

Glad to be back on the seat!!!
Y'all know... once you ride a V-Max, you will ALWAYS ride a V-Max. What a fun beast. :biglaugh:

That coil wire is very suspect as well as the rest of the secondary ignition. I'd switch to COPS and be done with secondary ignition issues forever. Forever is pushing it, but COPS are very reliable and simplistic. And, they are cheap to install. Swapping the coil wire to another cylinder and see if the issue follows it. The CDI also can cause an individual cylinder issue. Test the coils hot.
Steve-o

Switching the coil wire? Try switching the entire coil w/another and as Steve-O said, see if the 'miss' follows the coil. Did you already trim a bit off the end of the ignition primary wire to the sparkplug? Caps are cheap, and can go bad, trim the wire, and try a new cap.

...Did you already trim a bit off the end of the ignition primary wire to the sparkplug? Caps are cheap, and can go bad, trim the wire, and try a new cap.

Everything is new out of the coil. Problem before and after the change (plug wires and plugs).

The interesting thing about when I would have issues and have to do a shotgun. The bike would idle fine, and take off, and about a mile from the house then it would happen. It would feel like I had dropped a cylinder or 2.....just all of the sudden.

Latest posts

Back