Worst Mod?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
I found this picture today. If this belongs to someone on the forum, I'm sorry for what I'm about to say.

In MY opinion, this is the worst thing possible to do to a V-Max. I think a 1977 Honda Gold Wing would have been a better choice. :confused2:

Worst_mod_zpsbwii6iop.jpg

Earles-forks, beloved of the sidecar crowd.

Hannigan was popular in the 1970's and '80's as a 'roll-your-own' fairing.

Check out the forks?

Leading link front end, it works MUCH better on a hack rig than standard forks. Adjustable trail being the main benefit, followed closely by full function under massively increased side loading.

I think that Max is cool, it was for sale on CL recently and the guy selling it had a ton (like 90,000 miles...) of rides with his entire 4 person family along. Personally I couldn't live with all the mismatched colors, but all that is easily fixed. That bike has some really cool mods, like the gas tanks under the sidecar that hold 11 gallons of fuel :worthy: or the odd asymmetrical front brakes. And let's be honest, the Vmax engine is the perfect torque monster for a heavy sidecar rig.

Check out the ad:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Yamaha-V-Max-/122353785911?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1c7cda9c37%3Ag%3AfJ0AAOSwjDZYbG0a&item=122353785911&nma=true&si=2U%252BkxJzQqPGg3e8C4b4nGPOS2oM%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

0116aa5c6ed5c409349b1af399fd2c6b.jpg

I think this one is uglier. Someone in south Florida has been trying for years on CL to sell a new one, he's asking $1600! :barf:

This design is reminiscent of the 1950's 'dustbin' fairings that were popular especially on the two-stroke Eastern European roadracers of the 1950's, like DKW, before they were outlawed by the FIM, ostensibly because they made the handling 'dangerous,' because of susceptibility to sidewinds. The 'dustbin' fairing of that time actually covered up the entire front wheel and the front of the motorcycle. It was aerodynamically much 'cleaner' than an exposed bike, and with the development of tuned two-stroke exhausts first pioneered by the Eastern Europeans, their bikes were 'giant-killers,' regularly capable of beating bikes three times their displacement. The British were running undersquare four-stroke singles like the Matchless G50 and the Norton Manx. Moto Guzzi in a bid to outpower the tiny Communist-bloc two-stroke roadracers, developed their V-8, an audacious attempt that was short-lived, and never really lived-up to its promise.

One of the Eastern European roadracers defected to the West, with his mechanic, he took with him the secrets to the reverse-cone tuned two-stroke exhaust, and he landed at Suzzuki, who immediately put their new-found knowledge to work, and developed the technology with great success. The other Japanese manufacturers soon developed their own adaptations, except for Honda, who stayed with the four-stroke design, and who came-out with things like 50 cc twins, and 250 and 350 fours, and even six-cyliner powerplants (Honda RC 166, 250 cc six-cyl, below) turning incredible rpm's. If the Hondas had a more-forward engine placement, loading the front wheel more, they would have steered and turned much-better, and would have been much-easier for Honda's star, Mike Hailwood to ride. He wanted to have a noted British framemaker build a 'proper' frame for the Honda engine, but Mr. Honda wouldn't allow it, because it wasn't his engineering team's design.

honda-rc166-1477100212387-482x320.jpg

Jacwal SuperWedge motorcycle fairing for sale by private owner - $1600 (Fort Lauderdale)

condition: like new
make / manufacturer: Jacwal
model name / number: Superwedge

more ads by this user

Jacwal SuperWedge motorcycle fairing NOS. As New ... bought in the 70s for my Hercules Wankel W2000 motorcycle which was sold to a collector in Ohio. I can ship but that will not be cheap. Some minor damage from storage thru the years.

send your phone # and I will call you for purchase
located in SW Fort Lauderdale near the 441 / 595 interchange

https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mpo/5940573283.html

When i first saw the pic i thought it was awful.....after reading the ad though all i can say is LEGEND

You take a family of four on a cross country holiday your can make your bike look however the bloody hell you want!

Everyone to their own thing, there probably was a lot of thought and effort that went into it.

Back