Would you do it?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
Zilla is pushing 134K miles. Any opinions as to if it would survive a dyno run? Motor has never been beat on too bad or ever been apart, but if I stick it up on the dyno at Thunder next year, and it blows up - it's a long walk home..

It should survive a dyno run.......as long as there isnt an underlying issue. The 07 of mine has probably 80-90 dyno runs on it. I do estimate that because while I was tuning, I would tell the operator to keep doing runs, until the HP falls off. (Because the Vmax may not actually show peak HP until the 5th or 6th run, or so....maybe more.)

The 07 has about 50K on it.

The dyno wont eat your bike, but it is basically the same as getting on it for a spirited run thru the gears.

Remember, anything can be fixed, it just cost money.

So, if you decide to dyno the bike, make certain the bike is warmed up. I would always tell the operator to make certain the temp is halfway up before getting on it.

DONT allow the bike to be over rev'd. I do like a rev limiter. I would always set mine for 9500.

Start the run around 3K.

Fresh oil and fresh plugs before, although I have dynod with the same plugs in the bike (to get a more accurate reading between settings or parts.

I'm curious to see what a "stock" Vmax will do, although dont get upset if the bike doesnt do 120hp. Usually a stock Vmax is between 105-115 hp.

The 07 was 105 hp when I started.

A Vmax sounds amazing on a Dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIpfPeo8Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDf-zu8lkI

If it can't handle a good flogging, whats the point?

I'd much rather it break down on the dyno @ thunder than on the way home from thunder on a back road somewhere between home and Johnstown.:biglaugh:

It should survive a dyno run.......as long as there isnt an underlying issue. The 07 of mine has probably 80-90 dyno runs on it. I do estimate that because while I was tuning, I would tell the operator to keep doing runs, until the HP falls off. (Because the Vmax may not actually show peak HP until the 5th or 6th run, or so....maybe more.)

The 07 has about 50K on it.

The dyno wont eat your bike, but it is basically the same as getting on it for a spirited run thru the gears.

Remember, anything can be fixed, it just cost money.

So, if you decide to dyno the bike, make certain the bike is warmed up. I would always tell the operator to make certain the temp is halfway up before getting on it.

DONT allow the bike to be over rev'd. I do like a rev limiter. I would always set mine for 9500.

Start the run around 3K.

Fresh oil and fresh plugs before, although I have dynod with the same plugs in the bike (to get a more accurate reading between settings or parts.

I'm curious to see what a "stock" Vmax will do, although dont get upset if the bike doesnt do 120hp. Usually a stock Vmax is between 105-115 hp.

The 07 was 105 hp when I started.

A Vmax sounds amazing on a Dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jIpfPeo8Sw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkDf-zu8lkI

Takes a few runs to clean it out....by the last run that yellow bike was talking by gee!! :punk:

if I took it to the strip, my fat ass would slow the bike down so much you'd think it was a 125cc..

Hah, you never know, you might like it! I would rather try the strip than a dyno. One day.

Zilla is pushing 134K miles. Any opinions as to if it would survive a dyno run? Motor has never been beat on too bad or ever been apart, but if I stick it up on the dyno at Thunder next year, and it blows up - it's a long walk home..

you're more likely to blow it just ass'ing around street racing or doing burnouts..... I've had at least 50 dragstrip runs on mine in it's lifetime, and have done several dyno pulls well past the 75,000 mile point.... matter of fact it had over 73,000 miles on it before I installed Morleys jet kit at the drags in Wichita one year.... if it's not using oil or making any unusual noises, I'd go for it..... otherwise, start shopping for a Gold Wing.

Latest posts

Back